Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
July 2020 Miracle Breakdown Giveaway

Tell us your best “Miracle Breakdown”
And I’ll put your name in the hat for !
a brand new in the package
Chrome Star Rectifier Cover
Include pic of your bike and get a double entry !

Breakdown should have a positive / funny / never in a million years outcome of some type .

This was mine...
I ran out of gas on I-5 north of Seattle in the rain, rolled up under an overpass and there sat 2gallons of fresh gas in a new gas can,
I used 1 gallon and left the other gallon for the next person . Never in a million years!

The Mrs. will chose name at random
Let’s do this for 2 weeks and draw name on the 25th
Winner pays shipping from Bothell, Wa. 98021

·
Registered
705 Posts
I’ll join in on this. Here about two weeks ago I was on a Dice run for the local Veterans MC. Well as things seem to always go on these types of rides, we are riding crazy hard and super fast! I’m riding down the road going “the speed limit” to get the the next bar to roll the dice and I keep feeling my leg get wet. And I have a faint smell of gas, riding with like 30 other bikes so the gas smell is some what normal. Well we get to the bar and I have gas all over my **** leg. Come to find out my throttle cables sliced open my gas line for the fuel pressure regulator. I had done the relocation of the FPR about a year ago and never put a longer gas line on it. Just my luck the only Yamaha breaks down in a sea of Harleys! Never the less I borrowed my buddies bike and road to the closest auto parts store which was 25 minutes away normally. Got there in probably 15 minutes and it just so happened a guy had just bought the exact gas line I needed and had about 8” left over that he gave me. All the guys had left by the time I got back to my bike so my buddy and me fixed it up real quick and got back in the road and managed to catch back up to the group! Long winded story but one I won’t forget it ever. I thought my bike was going to go up in flames that day. Thank God it didn’t!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
638 Posts
This give away is an excellent idea!

The way you did it is really hard though.. since this bike has been so reliable.. in 70.000 Km it has only left me stranded twice, 1 broken belt and 1 empty tank.. neither in memorable fashion.

(btw.. this is not an entry in the giveaway)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I’ve been debating whether to tell this story to the World. It involved myself and my best Mate ( passed in 2012.
I was 1974 I had a Honda CB 200 and my mate had a Honda 350. I rode down to Melbourne as he wanted to score. When we arrived at East Melbourne I had to pull up and wait for him as I wasn’t to know where he was scoring from. Now just 100 yards from where I was going to park, my rear tyre decided to go flat. So there I am alone sitting in the gutter waiting for my Mate to come back. After being there for about 10 minutes this Rolls Royce pulls up. The guy winds down his window and asks if everything is alright. Back in those days one didn’t say wtf, but I did think to myself that this would be interesting. So I replied that I had a flat rear tyre. So he gets out of the Rolls and walks over to have a look at the tyre. He asks me if I am able to fix it. I said yes, but I would need to get some Filileak ( a product that both pumped are and sealing glue into your tube/tyre ). Now back in those days and probably still now there were no servos in the inner city. I passed this information on to this guy and he asked me if Peter Stevens ( motorcycle dealer in the heart of Melbourne) would have any. I said yes, but they would be closed ( was around 10pm ). He told me to get in the Rolls and he would take me there. The guy had a hard wired phone in the far king car and he rings up the owner of Peter Stevens. I’m thinking while being driven that nobody is ever going to believe me. One thing I remember was the front bench seat was hard lol. So we get to PS and the shop door is open so I follow the guy in and there is the owner and he asks me what do I need. I asked for a bottle of filileak and he gets me two. I said that I couldn’t afford to, but the owner said don’t worry about it. So it’s back into the Rolls to head back to the bike. We ended up doing a lap of honour and the chicks that waved to us was amazing. So we get back to the bike and my Mate had returned. The look on his face when I got out of the Rolls was priceless lol. He pulled me aside and asked me what was going on and I just gave him a quick rundown. Anyway I used one bottle of the filileak which sealed the puncture and blew up the wheel all fixed. There is another episode to this story, but I won’t bore you with that unless asked.
Now I swear on my best Mates grave that this really did happen the way I’ve told it. When my best Mate went to live in England in 1981, he dined out on this story many many times. If someone didn’t believe him I’d get a phone call no matter the hour lol.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Who was the driver of the RR ?

Mate, I’ve been lucky but not that lucky.

Back around 1979 I was taking my XS650 for a ride around the Great Ocean Road which is a Mecca for motorbike enthusiasts.. anyhow at the end and surviving the the fun twisty roads I needed fuel so went to pull into a service station and down I went .. it happened so fast I didn’t realise I was slowly sliding down the road.

Pick myself up and I’m ok, but the bike had bent bars and broken brake lever. Right opposite was a motorcycle repair shop so over i go but it was shut, wondering what I was going to do I was approached by a bloke who saw what happened, he said he knew the owner and would give him a call, an hour later I had some 2nd hand bars and another brake lever fitted, I ask how much do I owe and I’m told Nothing, I couldn’t believe it .. I didn’t have much money on me anyway and certainly didn’t have a credit card ... maybe he knew by looking at me .. I was extremely grateful and I’ve never forgotten that act of kindness and try to do the same myself.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Who was the driver of the RR ?

Mate, I’ve been lucky but not that lucky.

Back around 1979 I was taking my XS650 for a ride around the Great Ocean Road which is a Mecca for motorbike enthusiasts.. anyhow at the end and surviving the the fun twisty roads I needed fuel so went to pull into a service station and down I went .. it happened so fast I didn’t realise I was slowly sliding down the road.

Pick myself up and I’m ok, but the bike had bent bars and broken brake lever. Right opposite was a motorcycle repair shop so over i go but it was shut, wondering what I was going to do I was approached by a bloke who saw what happened, he said he knew the owner and would give him a call, an hour later I had some 2nd hand bars and another brake lever fitted, I ask how much do I owe and I’m told Nothing, I couldn’t believe it .. I didn’t have much money on me anyway and certainly didn’t have a credit card ... maybe he knew by looking at me .. I was extremely grateful and I’ve never forgotten that act of kindness and try to do the same myself.

The answer to that question Mate if anyone wants to read pt 2 of the story lol

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
I don’t need the cover, mine is hidden. But here’s a story.

I’m headed home about to do a 20 mile stretch on a rural highway. I had just passed the one gas station when I realize my front tire is going low.

I circle back and check, and yep low. Looking further, I see that the valve stem is almost torn In half right where it exits the rim.

This sucks, and I’m kinda in a bind, so I head into the station. I find 2 cans of fix a flat left and buy them both. After carefully inflating the tire with them, it seems to be holding air.

I‘m standing there, saying to myself, “I’m an idiot, I’m an idiot, I’m an idiot.” But I said screw it. No wrecker was going to come get me out there, and if my wife had to, then it didn’t matter where she found me on that 20 mile stretch.

So I hit the road and amazingly make it the whole 20 miles. Now I have 15 more of city driving. What the heck, I’m on a roll right?

I roll the dice and keep going all the way. Made it home with no issues. Tire held up the whole way. Went inside to clean up. Came out ten minutes later, it was dead flat.

I now use 85 or 90 degree steel valve stems.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where’s part 2 of the story ?? Who was in the RR ?

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay I have another, Not quite a breakdown. This was a couple years back.
We Rode our bikes into downtown Seattle for dinner and parked in the parking garage that closed at 1 am (or so we thought)
and went into the restaurant for dinner, we left at midnight heading back to parking garage.
Guess what, Outside gate was open but garage gate was locked. Outside parking closed at 1 am but inside garage was 12:00 midnight, Big Mistake since now it’s about 12:30, So we started looking for someone to help but only found an after hours phone number. As we were calling it somebody Who just got off work
came thru the exit gate (opens from inside) so one of us slipped by while the girls distracted the driver , then walked around to regular door and opened it . We all got on our bikes and rode out.
FYI. Afterhours pickup was 75$

·
Registered
551 Posts
The answer to that question Mate if anyone wants to read pt 2 of the story lol
Part 2 lol.
So the guy asks us if we want to go to his place for a coffee. I looked at my mate and he at me. I just said “well he helped me with the bike”. So I said okay Peter that sounds good. So we followed the RR through a few suburbs until we got onto Beaconsfield Parade which ran along Port Phillip Bay. We drive along it for a few minutes and then we see the left blinker. I was too busy looking at the ritzy beachfront homes and nearly run up his arse lol. Then I noticed a gate open up and the RR drove through, but we be used to park on the side of the road because we wouldn’t be there long. I said to my mate “did you see that, automatic gates “. So we walk through this side gate and we walked to the building and got in this elevator. We went up to the 10th Floor.
The elevator door opens and he says welcome to my place. The far king elevator opens into his place I was dumbfounded. The carpet was white and that plush and soft I swear it went up to my knees ( I know it didn’t, but that’s how it felt ). Then as we get further in to the lounge room on the right wall was a far king waterfall behind glass. Then just past it is a white baby grand piano ( I thought it was a grand, but he said it was a baby ). Then on the left hand side was the biggest white lounge suite I had ever seen. Peter says to take a seat, my mate and I look at each other because we were wearing riding gear that let’s say any outlaw group member would wear lol. He told us not to worry about it as the cleaner was coming the next day. So we sat down and low and behold was the largest TV I had ever seen ( back in those days the largest TV was 26” ) this thing was 36”. So we get handed our coffees and Peter says he wanted to show us something. He turns on the TV and he hands me a pistol on the end of a power cord. He said when the ducks fly by shoot them. I looked at him wondering if he is a loony and out the corner of my eye I see what we now call simulated ducks flying across the screen ( they were pretty basic as at that stage we only had ping pong games on a coffee table type console ). So when the ducks fly by again I point and pulled the trigger, but nothing happened. So I handed it to my mate. Peter said that he needed to shoot just in front of the ducks and he shot some ( can’t remember how many, but it was more than me lol. I’m was more of a rifle person at Luna Park lol ). Anyway I ended up standing up and walking to my jacket to get my smokes when I looked down out of a window and saw a divvy van ( Police Devisional Van parked on the street. I was concerned that they might be checking our bikes out. Peter asked me what I was looking at so I told him and he and my mate came over to have a look. I told Peter my concerns and he said he would fix that. I looked at my mate and him at me. Peter then picks up the phone and says his name ( can’t remember his surname ) he tell the person on the other end of the line that he is the Son of the UK Embassador and that this divvy van was doing donuts and alike out the front of where he lived. He gets off the phone and says this should be good. In less than 2 maybe 3 minutes that divvy van starts moving pulls into the outer driveway to Peters building does a Youi ( u turn )and speeds away. I’m totally amazed and so was my mate. Anyway sometime after that my mate says it’s time to go. Peter says it’s getting late, why don’t you guys sleep here and head back in the morning. Peter says to my mate that he can sleep on the couch and I can share Peters bed. So I quickly said that if we were going to stay I had to check the bikes first. So I get in the elevator and I’m thinking to myself “ I’m not going to share a bed with any man, no far king way. So I end up down in the garage and I’m walking around shitting myself and wondering how to get myself and my mate out of this situation ( remember I’m not quite 18 ). I wondered over to the RR and I’m im getting angry at this guy wanting me to sleep in his bed and let me say this, I found out that the mascot on the front of a RR is held in place by something like a bike chain. It will move left/right forward/back, but try and pull it off or break it is a whole new deal lol. So I go to the bikes and I’m sitting on mine having a smoke trying to figure a way out of this mess. Both our helmets were locked on the bikes and I’m thinking you dummy your keys are in your jacket upstairs. So I thought ** it and I headed back inside ( not before trying the mascot again lol ). Going up in the elevator I came up with a story so when I got back into Peters place I said to my mate “ I forgot I have a Doctors appointment first thing tomorrow morning, so we have to go” So Peter said that he would make sure that he woke us early so we could get back in time ( 90 minute ride ). I thought **, but my mate said yes we had better get back as his Mum would skin us alive if we got home tomorrow. Peter said “ ok maybe another time “ I said yes that would be great. We shook hands thanked him for helping me with the bike and the coffee. I can’t remember whether we strolled or ambled to the elevator, but inside I was running. So we get on the bikes start them up and rode away. About a 100 yards or so away we pulled up. My mate said can you believe all that and I said I wonder how long will it take to dawn on him that today ( about 3am ) is Sunday and Doctors aren’t open lol. Over the years up until his passing in 2012 my Best Mate and I would talk about that night and I always said that I was soooo glad my cherry wasn’t popped.
The End

·
Registered
543 Posts
Crikey Stryder .... to think you could have inherited the lot

Your story is somewhat similar to an experience I had with my brother who is 4 years older and had his drivers licence.

I was helping my bro do back stage work at a theatre group, our eldest bro was on stage and quite a thespian back in the day being in quite a few big budget theatre events. So the evening ended and my middle bro and I walked back to my Bro’s hotted up Mini Cooper only to find it sitting on bricks ... haha A Brick on a brick ... (slang term for Minis were bricks) and two wheels were gone ...

One of the male actors came along and saw we had a problem and because it was now around midnight offered us to stay at his place and sort it out the next day ... I know we went back to his place to use his phone and I’m sure we had no intentions of staying but when we found out his place was a one bedroom apartment and he offered to make us a drink the alarm bells were ringing in our heads so we made the phone call to our eldest Bro to come get us and politely said thank you and left.

Talking later to our eldest Bro, he was amazed we went back with ••••• because he was a known sexual deviate in the theatre group. We wondered if he was the one that removed the wheels and if the drinks were drugged ... we will never know.

·
Administrator
28,598 Posts
I'm not eligible for the give-away of course, but reading these brought old days to mind. Like one summer a long long time ago I jumped on the bike to go stay with a friend in Huntington Beach California for some surfing. About the time I got there the steering got funky. Next morning the front tire was flat but the beach was calling. We got back that afternoon and my bike was gone and a note from another friend said 'fixed your flat and borrowed your bike be back late tomorrow' so we went surfing the next day too. It was great to hang with everyone, and plus I got talking with some girl who turned out was living not far from where I was living at the time, and she was escaping for the summer too. So anyway long story short we steady dated a couple years and we stayed friends for years more. All because a friend fixed my flat tire.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It was great to hang with everyone, and plus I got talking with some girl who turned out was living not far from where I was living at the time, .
At least your experience involved a girl AZ

(I’m not writing for a give away either)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Part 2 lol.
So the guy asks us if we want to go to his place for a coffee. I looked at my mate and he at me. I just said “well he helped me with the bike”. So I said okay Peter that sounds good. So we followed the RR through a few suburbs until we got onto Beaconsfield Parade which ran along Port Phillip Bay. We drive along it for a few minutes and then we see the left blinker. I was too busy looking at the ritzy beachfront homes and nearly run up his arse lol. Then I noticed a gate open up and the RR drove through, but we be used to park on the side of the road because we wouldn’t be there long. I said to my mate “did you see that, automatic gates “. So we walk through this side gate and we walked to the building and got in this elevator. We went up to the 10th Floor.
The elevator door opens and he says welcome to my place. The far king elevator opens into his place I was dumbfounded. The carpet was white and that plush and soft I swear it went up to my knees ( I know it didn’t, but that’s how it felt ). Then as we get further in to the lounge room on the right wall was a far king waterfall behind glass. Then just past it is a white baby grand piano ( I thought it was a grand, but he said it was a baby ). Then on the left hand side was the biggest white lounge suite I had ever seen. Peter says to take a seat, my mate and I look at each other because we were wearing riding gear that let’s say any outlaw group member would wear lol. He told us not to worry about it as the cleaner was coming the next day. So we sat down and low and behold was the largest TV I had ever seen ( back in those days the largest TV was 26” ) this thing was 36”. So we get handed our coffees and Peter says he wanted to show us something. He turns on the TV and he hands me a pistol on the end of a power cord. He said when the ducks fly by shoot them. I looked at him wondering if he is a loony and out the corner of my eye I see what we now call simulated ducks flying across the screen ( they were pretty basic as at that stage we only had ping pong games on a coffee table type console ). So when the ducks fly by again I point and pulled the trigger, but nothing happened. So I handed it to my mate. Peter said that he needed to shoot just in front of the ducks and he shot some ( can’t remember how many, but it was more than me lol. I’m was more of a rifle person at Luna Park lol ). Anyway I ended up standing up and walking to my jacket to get my smokes when I looked down out of a window and saw a divvy van ( Police Devisional Van parked on the street. I was concerned that they might be checking our bikes out. Peter asked me what I was looking at so I told him and he and my mate came over to have a look. I told Peter my concerns and he said he would fix that. I looked at my mate and him at me. Peter then picks up the phone and says his name ( can’t remember his surname ) he tell the person on the other end of the line that he is the Son of the UK Embassador and that this divvy van was doing donuts and alike out the front of where he lived. He gets off the phone and says this should be good. In less than 2 maybe 3 minutes that divvy van starts moving pulls into the outer driveway to Peters building does a Youi ( u turn )and speeds away. I’m totally amazed and so was my mate. Anyway sometime after that my mate says it’s time to go. Peter says it’s getting late, why don’t you guys sleep here and head back in the morning. Peter says to my mate that he can sleep on the couch and I can share Peters bed. So I quickly said that if we were going to stay I had to check the bikes first. So I get in the elevator and I’m thinking to myself “ I’m not going to share a bed with any man, no far king way. So I end up down in the garage and I’m walking around shitting myself and wondering how to get myself and my mate out of this situation ( remember I’m not quite 18 ). I wondered over to the RR and I’m im getting angry at this guy wanting me to sleep in his bed and let me say this, I found out that the mascot on the front of a RR is held in place by something like a bike chain. It will move left/right forward/back, but try and pull it off or break it is a whole new deal lol. So I go to the bikes and I’m sitting on mine having a smoke trying to figure a way out of this mess. Both our helmets were locked on the bikes and I’m thinking you dummy your keys are in your jacket upstairs. So I thought ** it and I headed back inside ( not before trying the mascot again lol ). Going up in the elevator I came up with a story so when I got back into Peters place I said to my mate “ I forgot I have a Doctors appointment first thing tomorrow morning, so we have to go” So Peter said that he would make sure that he woke us early so we could get back in time ( 90 minute ride ). I thought **, but my mate said yes we had better get back as his Mum would skin us alive if we got home tomorrow. Peter said “ ok maybe another time “ I said yes that would be great. We shook hands thanked him for helping me with the bike and the coffee. I can’t remember whether we strolled or ambled to the elevator, but inside I was running. So we get on the bikes start them up and rode away. About a 100 yards or so away we pulled up. My mate said can you believe all that and I said I wonder how long will it take to dawn on him that today ( about 3am ) is Sunday and Doctors aren’t open lol. Over the years up until his passing in 2012 my Best Mate and I would talk about that night and I always said that I was soooo glad my cherry wasn’t popped.
The End
No Far King Way.. 😂😂

·
Registered
551 Posts
No Far King Way.. 😂😂
Yes way as God be my judge.
When my best mate went back to the UK in 1980. After a few months he got a job at the Royal Mail ( he was a postie ). As he got use to his work mates he would tell this story. To prove he wasn’t lying to them he would ring me ( 10 hours time diff and no mobiles ). So the phone would ring in the middle of the night here. I’d wake up thinking who is the idiot ringing me at this time of night. I’d pick up the phone and in a weak voice I’d say “hello” and on the other end would come “Rob I was telling this guy at work about our episode with the RR and they don’t believe me. So I’d get him to put the guy on and relay the story. After a few times I told my mate that if they didn’t believe you let me know and I’d write a letter. That way I’d only write it once and he could show it to who ever and no more bloody phone calls lol.

·
Administrator
28,598 Posts
At least your experience involved a girl AZ

(I’m not writing for a give away either)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Also waaay back even longer ago, one night we were all hanging under the pier with beer when the local beach patrol made a sweep. We dropped the bottles in the wet sand before they noticed. One of the blues started trash talking said to me you two boys get out of here. So my partner for the day made some witty retort and peeled off her warm cap and beach towel down to bikini and the patrol dude was shut up cold. The beach patrol walked away blubbering. And plus they completely forgot to search our cooler. But that one had nothing to do with motorcycles 😋

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Come on guys... just a couple days left, let’s here those stories ..!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts