RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been keeping a close eye on the Items for sale section for the last few weeks, as I am making a few changes to the bike and have been looking out for original and aftermarket parts.

I have noticed that in the majority of posts, the seller has also listed the item on ebay.

Now.... I can only really speak for the ebay UK/Europe listings, (I have some experience having made over 320 transactions over the years) - but once something has been put up for sale, it can not (easily) be removed prior to the end of the listing - or sold "on the side" without breaking the ebay rules.

So... now is the time to shoot me down if this does not apply on your side of the pond!

Ok....

Once we decide that we need to sell an item, we are invariably impatient to get the $$$$ - fair enough.... but the way I see it is that, once an item is listed on ebay it effectively cuts out any chance of somebody buying the item without going through the ebay procedures - there is no place for discussion - the seller ends up paying fees and all the other related bull...etc etc.

My suggestion would be that perhaps it would be nice to at least offer the item on the forum for a few days before going through ebay.

At least give the forum members get the chance to get their hands on something that perhaps they have been desperate for!

Why go through another system, when you have a captive audience right here? I

Also as an added bonus, it's a great feeling knowing that you've helped another forum member too!

This is not aimed at any particular individuals - it is a general observation.

Just my thoughts.....

What do you think - am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Well... I understand what you're getting at, but with one click of the mouse I can end an auction on ebay. I usually let the public know that I'm also selling the item privately, and that the auction may end at any time.

I also give Forum members a better price than listed on ebay.

So, in a way, you're wrong........

In other ways you could be right. If someone doesn't take the time to list an item correctly, and take the time to check responses on the forum regularly, you are Right!

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, Although I feel that you are an exception to this discussion.

You are trying to make a business out of selling parts and accessories - so in your case I would accept that you should be using all means available to you.

I applaud the fact that you offer a members deal too - I have been reading your posts with interest!

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
jarv said:
I've been keeping a close eye on the Items for sale section for the last few weeks, as I am making a few changes to the bike and have been looking out for original and aftermarket parts.

I have noticed that in the majority of posts, the seller has also listed the item on ebay.

Now.... I can only really speak for the ebay UK/Europe listings, (I have some experience having made over 320 transactions over the years) - but once something has been put up for sale, it can not (easily) be removed prior to the end of the listing - or sold "on the side" without breaking the ebay rules.

So... now is the time to shoot me down if this does not apply on your side of the pond!

Ok....

Once we decide that we need to sell an item, we are invariably impatient to get the $$$$ - fair enough.... but the way I see it is that, once an item is listed on ebay it effectively cuts out any chance of somebody buying the item without going through the ebay procedures - there is no place for discussion - the seller ends up paying fees and all the other related bull...etc etc.

My suggestion would be that perhaps it would be nice to at least offer the item on the forum for a few days before going through ebay.

At least give the forum members get the chance to get their hands on something that perhaps they have been desperate for!

Why go through another system, when you have a captive audience right here? I

Also as an added bonus, it's a great feeling knowing that you've helped another forum member too!

This is not aimed at any particular individuals - it is a general observation.

Just my thoughts.....

What do you think - am I wrong?

I would agree with Jarv. I have had the pleasure of buying several items from members and would like to make the same offer back to folks here. I'm down with RSWFORUM 1st, maybe even as long as 1 week or 2. Then onto ebay it goes. before I put it on ebay I'd post up a note stating it's moving and it's fair game at that point.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The few things I've sold have only been listed here because ebay, to me, is more hassle then it's worth considering we're talking about items costing less then a hundred bucks even and my main reason for selling is so someone can make use of it since I'm not. If I sold items more often like Justice it would make sense to use ebay.

To each their own I suppose but if you're selling an item to help out another Warrior what you're saying makes good sense to me. Some people are just looking to make as much as they can I think though and the bidding process on ebay is going to give them that more often then not.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I've sold and purchased a number of things on this site and it works well. I've not listed anything on ebay, I figure why do it when it is likely to sell right here and it always sells. I don't want the hassle of ebay and I price things low. It is better to get something for a part than to let it sit in the garage. I have purchased a number of things from ebay when the price is right, but I did get burned once. I guess not everybody is honest.

·
Administrator
29,677 Posts
One of the true things that makes this forum a brotherhood (ok ok more and more its becominga brother/sisterhood) is there's enough of us around who are willing to help, including as you say selling our spares and even new items for less to fellow members. The classifieds work great for that, plus lots of ebay sellers list their stuff in our classifieds these days by becoming members so they see the lower prices we offer each other and know they have to discount too. I think its a self-supporting kinda thing. Its rare to find a group of people on a technical website that actually care about each other for real. Jarv, I think what you are saying happens here a lot already.

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
I think the people who only post their ebay links are just trying to advertise their sale on Ebay. Personally, I scour ebay weekly to look for warrior related things (as do most of you Im sure) so if its listed on ebay correctly theres a **** good chance that someone who is in the market for a warrior related item has already seen the auction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts