RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, the tranny recall hasn't been done, but I've read of so many modifications in here that I'm going blind trying to figure them all out. Could anyone spell out their view on what your first move would be with such a bike, with perhaps an explanation of what each does (and cost too)?

Also, I am heavily contemplating going back to the stock exhaust, is there any one reason everyone seems to switch that off first? The thing just looks awesome!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I personally went with O.E. HC pistons ($325). Yes it ws worth it. I didn't get the R* 5th gear ($125), because I was ignorant. Wish I had, it lowers the highway RPMs. Wish I had. Good luck. Get as much done as you can afford.

PS: Welcome to the maddness.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I would say #1 upgrade is the Road Star 5th gear. The HC pistons are nice and will increase power but keep in mind you'll be running premium all the time. I did the pistons but not the 5th gear. I'm still kicking myself for not putting that gear in...

The exhaust is your choice - whatever floats your boat. If you go the performance direction - the can will have to go...

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Without a doubt... get the HC pistons.

Consider HD springs.. but they aren't necessary unless you plan to swap cams later..

Get the Roadie 5th gear. It DOES make a difference.

If you have the money to drop.. have the heads ported and polished and consider a valve job while its all open.

No matter what.. Get the pistons and Roadie 5th gear... You WILL be thankful.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome to the forum, John! Congrats on the 02! [^]
First of all...take your time. There's no hurry really!
While it's you own call, there are folks with over 30k miles that haven't done their recall yet. The only reported problems with the Warriors came from actually having the recall work done. Sometimes the stealership just screws something up or forgets the fluids or something stupid like dropping it. You're in a good position with internal motor mods, but only if the mechanic agrees not to charge extra. If it were me I'd ride and read and wait until the cold weather sets in, but it's your call. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Welcome to the forum! [8D] The stock exhaust works very well with a stock bike. It's quiet, performs well and looks distictive. Guys go to after market pipes for: Appearance, Performance (in conjunction with other mods) and SOUND. Read that LOUD sound. What are you into? I like the ol' water heater. I like the quiet, I like the look. There's nothing else quite like it.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Recall is the only real chance to put in the Roadie fifth gear. The other top end stuff can be done "in frame".

If you don't do anything else... DO the fifth gear.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Congrats on your new Warrior and welcome aboard! I'ld get the 5th gear change for sure.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
At the very least, you should go with the stock bore HC pistons, and the Roadie 5th gear. I, also just picked up an '02 w/o the tranny recall done and I am planning the following mods:

110" kit, Speedstar Cams & springs, Roadie 5th gear. I'd love to get the heads ported, and get oversized valves as well, but that's just beyond my budget.

·
Registered
5 Posts
quote:norellj Posted - 06/25/2006 : 10:21:41 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I am heavily contemplating going back to the stock exhaust, is there any one reason everyone seems to switch that off first? The thing just looks awesome!

Welcome to Warrior madness! On the stock exhaust, I'm changing mine not because the look, but the sound. Too quite. Kinda sounds weenie. No I take that back, it definetly sounds weenie!

Visually, I like the stock pipe. Close in looks is Roadhouse 6" Slip-on Megaphone, which seems to get good talk in this 4M. Suppose to sound real nice.

I order one last night. Can't wait to hear it.

Good luck making your mind up! It will make you go mad sooner or later...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts