RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery, made it about 5 miles and it started missing, back firing and stalling. It wouldn't make it back to the dealer so I had to call for a ride back and they went and got it.[/emoticons/emotion-6.gif]
They said probably bad gas... ya right. I am wondering if any of you think that serious back firing and missing and chugging could damage the new engine. I think I may demand a new bike just for the piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Welcome, and congrats! I'd hear them out on what was wrong, and maybe ask them to pay for an evaluation by an independent mechanic. Who put the "bad gas" in it, you or them? If the gas had gummed up in it, it may involve more effort than just running some "good" gas through it. Seems unlikely they will want to give you a different bike, unless this one was a demo or something, but you can always try.

Sucks that that was your first experience riding it. I gaurantee once you take it for a real ride, you wan't want to give it back!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Don't let a bad start get you down. Once you get everything straightened out, you will be very happy you chose the bike that you did.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the problem but i agree with loren78 that once you get through this and the bike runs right you'll be a happy camper

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
You'll be fine. I am sure it was something minor - i.e. bad gas, spark plug wire not connected, etc. The bikes are DRY on the floor/out of the box - some a-hole probably filled you with some crap gas.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
776 Posts
welcome - had the same problem on mine when i first got my 06 midnight last year right after the 1st service, bike started to react - took it back to the dealership - dealer's tech worked on it didn't get the problem right and i called yamaha california office and they sent out a real "yamaha tech" - he did a good job tore apart the bike, tested it and yamaha california covered all expenses really good plus gave me extra goodies like a 6-month extra warrantee and you'll be really happy. dealership gave me a free service for my 4000 mi which i did. modded the bike afterwhich and up to this time (9800 mi) bike is not giving me any problem.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
They will put just enough gas to get you to a station normaly, out of a can that sits in back with the tech.s. So Yes I could say its very possible bad gas. Wont damage the engine with the spitting and sputtering but I would have to say having a pool of water on top of your piston is a poor way to start.
Asking for another bike, would seem fair but more them likely isnt needed.
As far as the TPS that problem effected '02 thru part of '05's, everything after that should be ok. On the CPS recall I havent seen anything out applying to '07's but it doesnt hurt to call Yammi and run the VIN to check.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, they can't figure out what the problem is. They have a call into Yamaha for help, but can't figure it out yet. Talk about frustrating.... I'm in a holding pattern. They don't have another one to give me. The only other one on the floor is a Midnight edition and I would rather not.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Did you ask them if they did the TPS recall on it. They should have before they sold it and I am pretty sure that it came to them without it.
So if they didn't do it they need to and if they did do it, will, thats where they need to start looking for the problem!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I asked. They said it would have been done before going to the floor for sale. They also re-checked the # to see if it needed it again yesterday. It wasn't included in the recall. That was one of the questions they asked Yamaha about, maybe their information was inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
I'd go for the Midnight instead of playing around with the other bike. Will they do that for you?

Oh yeah, welcome to the 4M!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I could go for the midnight probably, but I think I like the blue better. Besides, I heard it was faster /emoticons/emotion-5.gif
The sales manager called me back yesterday and said Yamaha couldn't provide much help so today they were going to try to do a dealer trade and get me another one. I called Yamaha directly today and he said they would follow up with the dealer to get me a bike today. When they call back I am going to ask if they will extend the factory warranty for me.
Updates to come.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
So glad you are standing your ground and not just taking the midnight. You are so right about blue being faster...good luck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts