RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok what is up with this crap...my gas tank vibrates bad..and at a certain rpm it will buzz...can this be right for a recall ...seems like the old mounting washer was better to me...i don't like this at all...and i can't stand that rattling...what should i do?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
It will vibrate way more after the recall...thats Yamahas whole point in doing it..the original set up was too rigid and they were afraid of it causing damage and cracking the tank.....I know it seems strange but rigid is actually worse than something that is able to move.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Do you think this is really necessary? I never did mine yet, but my bike only has 1,300 miles on it. The dealer said nothing about this plus I never received the recall letter in the mail.

Is there anyone who has alot of mileage and still has not done this?

·
Registered
744 Posts
You might want to do a search on this subject, we had several discussions on this about a year ago.
Although mine does not vibrate anymore than before the recall parts, many here have said their's did. Also, I remember at least 2 members' tank brackets breaking.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
the recall was only on 02's. And yes it does seem to be necessary, there have been tanks crack that weren't done.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
the recall was only on 02's. And yes it does seem to be necessary, there have been tanks crack that weren't done.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My '02 has zero tank vibration.....
Doog. Check your vin # on the frame... The dealer is supposed to take a punch and leave a punch mark over one digit (can't remember which one) to indicate the recall has been done... Maybe the dealer already did it....just didn't tell you....

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Yes, this mod is absolutely necessary on an 02. I can remember several members having their tank welds rupture unexpectedly unleashing fuel over the engine. It is a miracle no one has been seriously injured or killed.

Mine took 15 minutes at the dealer, who had the kits in stock and was more than happy to do it.

If the bike does not have the punch mark over the VIN, take it in to a dealer and get it looked at. If it has already been done, the dealer can always punch it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I had well over 9,000 Miles on it when I took it in!!! I thought I had a busted tank because I could smell gas. I even paid for an 03 onyx/purple flamed tank and fenders.

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7799&SearchTerms=tank

It turns out that I had a bad connection at the quick disconnect...so I have two color schemes for my warrior [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

I couldn't tell a difference on vibrations after the recall.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
I shimmed out the space between the bracket and the frame with a small piece of cardboard and vibration is gone.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
get the recall washer kit. set your stock washer & rubber buffer next to each other. use the metal washer with the smallest shoulder & the largest rubber buffer & reinstall. before you button down the two 10mm cap nuts, add one 1/4" flat washer to each stud under the rear tank bracket. this relieves tension between the tank & bracket while still giving enough tension to curb too much tank rattle

·
Registered
731 Posts
what are you guys talking about? i had the recall done over a year ago and there isn't any rattling of any kind. What did they forget about putting the rubber dampner back in or something? Seems to me that the recall was to address vibrations and the results of those vibrations.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cerino2000

what are you guys talking about? i had the recall done over a year ago and there isn't any rattling of any kind.....

Same here, no rattle and more importantly, no broken welds.

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
This recall most certainly is necessary. I bought my '02 this spring with 1,200 miles on it and my tank started leaking at about 6,000 or so miles. It will rattle the spot welds loose. It's easy enough to check with the dealer to see whether it's been done (mine had not), and it's free if you do it before the tank starts to leak. I would recommend having them order the recall parts before you let them have the bike though. I waited almost 4 weeks while they were on backorder. BTW, I haven't noticed much difference in the vibrations, but then again, I couldn't ride it for 4 weeks so.........

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I dont have any rattling sounds or anything like that but my tank definately looks to vibrate at idle now where as before the recall it looked solid.I now have about 14,000 miles and absolutely no problems!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts