RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that a lot of people are asking for riders in their area to let themselves be known. I also noticed that peoples profiles are searchable. Is it possible to add a function to search member profiles by location?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
you'll have to do what i do, and search them yourself. unless CarKnee would like to come up with that feature, but it seems like i asked that a while back and he said that it wasn't an easy thing to do since it isn't a feature of the software and he would have to write it in, or something to that affect..

i wish more of my area Warriors would post and visit here more often. there is only 6 of us from michigan here, and it seems like i am the only one!

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Re-doing the members page of the site is a big deal... I started it a while back, after red bull asked, and I added the state field... I will eventually get to adding a way to sort by state.

CarKnee

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, thanks for answering. It's not important to me personally, just wondered about it. You spend enough time on this already, I wouldn't make this any priority

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Not to mention, we would have to get everyone to update there profiles. There are ton of members who have not put much of anything in there. Carknee changed the age field to a birth date entry and since very few have bothered to update it, they all say there 13.

·
Registered
717 Posts
How about this idea ...
We could create a forum called "Members by State" or whatever we want to call it. Then Create one topic for each State and have members to sign in their name by posting a one line message under the appropriate State.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Washington Warrior & everyone,
You can now sort by state in the members page. You will quickly see that MANY people have not supplied this information in their profile, so you will have to click on "state" twice to sort it descending.

Geestar, do you still think the new forum is neccessary?

C

·
Registered
717 Posts
quote:Originally posted by CarKnee

Washington Warrior & everyone,

C

I don't think it is really necessary but if that makes the member happy, we could do it. It is generally hard to keep it clean and useable unless members follow the posting guideline and keep it neat. It is up to you.

·
Registered
717 Posts

C

CarKnee,
I just looked at the member area and it looks great. I don't really think we need to create a forum as I had suggested earlier. Would it be possible to add a Checkbox for State so you can click on "C" and start listing them by State.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Geestar,
I worked on a bit and implemented what you suggested. Give it a shot... initial tests seem OK.

CarKnee

·
Registered
717 Posts

Geestar,
I worked on a bit and implemented what you suggested. Give it a shot... initial tests seem OK.

CarKnee

It looks great, it seems to check the "User Name" checkbox on its own each time the page is refreshed. I did get an error once ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bcd'

Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record.

/forums/members.asp, line 263

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
WW,
It wasnt too bad... about a 30 minutes total. A lot less that I thought.

Geestar,
Do you remember what you types in as a search, and what was checked off?

I did notice that the Username was checked by default. I will look into that tomorrow.

CarKnee

·
Registered
717 Posts
Geestar,
Do you remember what you types in as a search, and what was checked off?

I did notice that the Username was checked by default. I will look into that tomorrow.

CarKnee

I tried to duplicate it but I could not. Being a sotware developer, I hate to report something like that but I will let you know if I can dup it.

For the search to work correctly, we need to ask the member to fill in the information AND the data must be consistant. For example, some have entered "North Carolina" for the State. Now if you search by State and you type "CA", you will get the california entered as "CA" but you also get "North Carolina" because it got "CA" in it.

Not a biggie but just an observation ...

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Hey Geestar,
I suggested everyone use the two letter abrv. a while back. I am thinking of putting in a drop down box instead of a text field for the state field in the profile. However, this could be problematic for non USA people.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Hey Geestar,
I suggested everyone use the two letter abrv. a while back. I am thinking of putting in a drop down box instead of a text field for the state field in the profile. However, this could be problematic for non USA people.

The only way around that would be to have International riders to only fill in the Country field. They could enter it as Country, City. Then you could use the 2 letter abbreviation for the state.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts