RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, It's finally happening. I met with the machinists today, and I will have my left side cover prototype done in machining by Wednesday, and then off to finishing. Once I get it back and mounted to the bike, I'll post pics and pricing info.


I have had several people request this cover, so now is the time to pop in and stake your spot. I'm only planning on making5 of these for the first production run.


Your left side and motor mount will have to be cleaned up to accept this (an aftermarket fuel line and/or dry break is necessary), and your FPR will have to be relocated under the tank.


Here's some pics so you get the idea of what's going on: EDITED 4/13/10 -Previous pics are deleted and have been replaced with my FINAL PROTOTYPE.








This is what needs to be done to the left side to accept it:





My fuel line is a little higher than most, but there will be plenty of room for the usual dip at the connector location.


Thanks for your support!


The List -


1) Dan*^ - BP/BNCH


2) bkotelmach*^ - BP/CH


3) oz48*^ - BP/BNCH


4) kstswe*^ - BP/CH


5) still available - with Chrome Flames
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
I'm probably in too. I need to hear more about what's involved in the left side clean up. Also what's an FPR?

JamieB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jamieb said:
I'm probably in too. I need to hear more about what's involved in the left side clean up. Also what's an FPR? JamieB

Hey Jamie, search "Fuel Pressure Regulator", and you will see. Remove the left side cover, and it all becomes crystal clear....


I found you my old thread when I did mine:


FPR Relocation -http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/130522/1030742.aspx#1030742


Fuel Dry Break - http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/28726/391813.aspx#391813


and lots of goodies and info here - http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/119119/959329.aspx#959329


Let me know if you need any help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got the prototype back today. I have a couple little issues to clean up with the water jet guy (on Monday), and then it's off to finishing. The bottom edges need to be rounded a little more, the motor mount attachment is about an 1/4" off, andI need him to clean up the edges a little too. Other than that it looks great!


EDITED 4/12/10 - FIRST VERSION PICS DELETED, AS THEY ARE NO LONGER RELEVANT.


It's coming along nicely, and I am having them cut and powdercoated locally. I have to send out for chroming, but everything is moving along pretty quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Love your work and have been waiting to see the matching left side cover. I too am one for matching side covers. One question though. From your gallery it is pretty easy to see that your right side cover is noticibly higher than the left. I know that a little extra room is needed for the fuel line but it still looks to me that the cover could be raised a good 3/4 to an inch and still have ample room for the fuel line. This is not a criticism, just a observation from a person who appreciates symetry. I really admire your work and as I said before, I have been anxously waiting for the matching left side cover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Justice,


Are you having more of the right side done at the same time?


My bike is currently in the shop having the power commnader & Woody's V-BAK installed. I am planning on adding your right side cover (see our previous discussions [email protected]).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am planning on having more right side covers made when the left side cover goes to a small production run. If you definately want one let me know, and I'll add you to the list.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yamatized said:
Love your work and have been waiting to see the matching left side cover. I too am one for matching side covers. One question though. From your gallery it is pretty easy to see that your right side cover is noticibly higher than the left. I know that a little extra room is needed for the fuel line but it still looks to me that the cover could be raised a good 3/4 to an inch and still have ample room for the fuel line. This is not a criticism, just a observation from a person who appreciates symetry. I really admire your work and as I said before, I have been anxously waiting for the matching left side cover.

I appreciate that feedback, and will take a closer look at it tonight. This is the first version, and needs some reworking. If the measurements work, I may make that change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will do that. The final version was just getting finished yesterday. I'll pick it up Monday. It looks awesome. It exceeded my expectations.


I'll post pics when I get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Justice said:
Yamatized said:
Love your work and have been waiting to see the matching left side cover. I too am one for matching side covers. One question though. From your gallery it is pretty easy to see that your right side cover is noticibly higher than the left. I know that a little extra room is needed for the fuel line but it still looks to me that the cover could be raised a good 3/4 to an inch and still have ample room for the fuel line. This is not a criticism, just a observation from a person who appreciates symetry. I really admire your work and as I said before, I have been anxously waiting for the matching left side cover.

I appreciate that feedback, and will take a closer look at it tonight. This is the first version, and needs some reworking. If the measurements work, I may make that change.

I agree with Yamatized. If you look at the pictures of the right side cover the top of the cover sits about even with the bottom line of the gas tank. Seems like it should be moved up as much as possible. Also is this left cover pictured the same size as the right side covers you had made? I can see it's not the exact same shape. Any reason not to just take a right side cover apart and use that as the pattern to ensure that they are symmetrical?

JamieB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The final version, which I will pick up tomorrow, is a slightly smaller exact replica of the right side cover without the mounting arms. This was done with AutoCAD, so it's right on the money.


I have moved the cover up as much as possible. I will mount it to the bike tomorrow and take some pics for you to see. The pieces will go out to finishing after a few pics. I have to send the flames out for chroming, but the powdercoating is being done locally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THESE ARE PICS OF THE FINAL VERSION:


This piece will go to finishing tomorrow. I have moved the mount lower on the backing plate to raise the piece higher, while still allowing room for the quick disconnect fuel line. I have also made it so that the bottom of the side cover is in line with the bottom of the right side cover. I made this piece as an exact replica of the right side cover using AutoCAD to reduce the dimensions. I did not want the size of this cover to take away from the engine (and all it's glory!!)... so, it is a little smaller, but I think it looks awesome on the bike, and I can't wait to have the finished version in my hands. Have a look...




















I got together with a local powdercoater today, who's got lots of options, and is psyched to do custom bike parts. He's gonna do a few pieces for me tomorrow, including the backing plate and mount for this piece. The flames go out in the mail for chroming tomorrow as well.


Thanks for your interest!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Beautiful.


Can you make the backing plate black like the right side?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am having 5 of these cut next week. Let me know if you want to get on the list for the first batch.


Powdercoating options are extensive, so let me know if there is a certain color you have in mind. Chroming can be done in standard chrome or Black Nickel Chrome for either piece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
ok , so what is FPR ?

Im a computer geek and we don't use that abbreviation ;)

So the solution require that the ugly engine mount stays as is it ?

Like that thing sticking out ?

I would love to get rid of that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kstswe said:
ok , so what is FPR ? Im a computer geek and we don't use that abbreviation ;) So the solution require that the ugly engine mount stays as is it ? Like that thing sticking out ? I would love to get rid of that...




FPR Relocation -http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/130522/1030742.aspx#1030742


Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR)


It's a simple relocation, and makes it possible to get rid of the cage below the mount.


You can also search for "motor mount", and find some neat ways to modify the mount itself.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top