RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new (leftover inventory) 2007 Warrior owner. Purchased the new bike remotely from Port Yamaha (Port Washington, WI) off CycleTrader 12/31 and it arrived on the truck here in Virginia yesterday. Immediately I noticed what I'd describe as a knocking sound between 2100 and 2700 rpm. Up to 2000 rpm only the soft rumble of the exhaust can be heard, and the same resumes at around 2800 rpm. In between, a clearly audible knocking is always heard.

I called the dealer in WI right away, but he said he checked the bike out and it is not making any unusual sounds. He knows I'm used to a water cooled Suzuki (S50) and indicated these large air cooled engines just have their noises. Likely he knows more than I do about it, but I thought some other input was in order regarding whether this is normal for Warriors, and if not - what I should do.

Again, if that's just 'how they sound', then fine. If not, since the bike is brand new, should I be contacting Yamaha USA? Thanks in advance for help.

Incidently, other than this sound that is giving me some concern, the bike is incredible. The power is smooth and the handling is exceptional.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Just a couple of quick questions that will help the wise ones with the noise. Is the noise coming from the engine, front or rear of the bike, left or right side, etc. These bikes do make a lot of noise compaired to water cooled motors. Good news is that with a couple of mods (pipes and VBAK), you will be hearing all kinds of noises. I'm guessing that the bike is completely stock at the present time also. Also, does it make the sounds when you rev it up or justunder load?

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Next time you hear the noise, put your hand on our tank, near the end by your seat. If the sound goes away, it's your tank rattling. Mine used to rattle at just this rpm rate. No amount of tightening ever helped mine, in fact, I broke several studs, trying to overtighten it. Ultimately, I took the rattle out by cutting a small piece of carpet pad, about 3 x 3 and put it between the frame and the rear tank bracket. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The noise appears to be coming from just below the tank - which I assumed was the engine. I'll check both of those out today (does it do this simply when reving the bike at rest - or only under load, and is the noise affected by pressing on the rear of the tank). Thanks!

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Sometimes if your belt is too tight you will get a noise that might be what you are describing. (Not the belt making the noise...but causing it) It's been years but if I remember correctly mine might have been within that rev range , If so loosen the belt because it isn't good for the topend of the motor.

The sound I mean would only be under load .

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ken said:
I'm a new (leftover inventory) 2007 Warrior owner. Purchased the new bike remotely from Port Yamaha (Port Washington, WI) off CycleTrader 12/31 and it arrived on the truck here in Virginia yesterday. Immediately I noticed what I'd describe as a knocking sound between 2100 and 2700 rpm. Up to 2000 rpm only the soft rumble of the exhaust can be heard, and the same resumes at around 2800 rpm. In between, a clearly audible knocking is always heard.

I called the dealer in WI right away, but he said he checked the bike out and it is not making any unusual sounds. He knows I'm used to a water cooled Suzuki (S50) and indicated these large air cooled engines just have their noises. Likely he knows more than I do about it, but I thought some other input was in order regarding whether this is normal for Warriors, and if not - what I should do.

Again, if that's just 'how they sound', then fine. If not, since the bike is brand new, should I be contacting Yamaha USA? Thanks in advance for help.

Incidently, other than this sound that is giving me some concern, the bike is incredible. The power is smooth and the handling is exceptional.

Ken,

When I bought my new 2008 Warrior in August, I had the same question you had about this knocking sound. One member told me that he recalled the same noise when his bike was new and that the knocking went away around 1K miles. Guess what, I have 1300 miles on mine and the knocking went away around 800-900 miles on my bike. I guess it has something to do with a new tight engine. Once you get some miles on the bike, the knocking will go away. You will probably also a brief time where you come to a stop and the bike will die on you. This I found is also acaracteristic of this bike when the engine is new and tight. Trust me, all these pesky things will go away with do time. Go out and ride her hard and have fun on your new bike!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rechecked everthing this morning with the following results. The knocking occurs at the RPM range regardless of whether I am reving the bike sitting still (no load), regardless of what gear I'm in, and regardless of whether I have a passenger or am solo. I tried pressing on the tank at the end nearest the seat and it did not affect the sound whether at rest or moving.

The closest I could pinpoint the source would be to say it sounds like it's coming from the area of the front cylinder. I also checked the belt per the manual and it is fine.

I am going to assume it is just an initial sound (as others seem to have indicated) since the bike only has 250 on it after getting it Friday afternoon brand new. If I were guessing, I'd say it's some kind of harmonic vibration that only exhibits at the frequency produced in that range of the engine. For sure this engine produces a LOT MORE vibration than my 805cc Suzuki S50, but man - it also produces a wider smile.

A huge issue for me with the S50 was (at just over 6 ft) my legs felt crammed up on the Suzuki, and I feel like I have room for my legs and my old knees on this bike (the power that extends well beyond 50-60 mph is pretty sweet too).

Thanks to everyone for their help. I'm just going to wait it out and drown it out with a D&D slip on.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Sangathor said:
Next time you hear the noise, put your hand on our tank, near the end by your seat. If the sound goes away, it's your tank rattling. Mine used to rattle at just this rpm rate. No amount of tightening ever helped mine, in fact, I broke several studs, trying to overtighten it. Ultimately, I took the rattle out by cutting a small piece of carpet pad, about 3 x 3 and put it between the frame and the rear tank bracket. Hope this helps.

Short of an engine problem which is unlikley, I agree with this response 100%. Took me some time to figure out my tank vibration.I built up some electrical tape on the frame just under the rubber tank mounts and the noise went away.

BTW, welcome and congrats. We've got a few Warriors in the area who get together from time to time. Chantilly, Alex, Lorton, MD, Front Royal,watch the Mid Atlantic forum for ride info. The guys down at Cycle Sport, RT 1, Alex are pretty good.

·
Administrator
29,687 Posts
Since you've already checked for tank noise, just let the motor break in but also be sure you have adequate oil in the engine. Its a dry-sump motor so in case you don't know how to check the oil level properly, here's a topic link and a video link in case helpful. If the noise remains after the first oil change its most likely the hydraulic lifter system, but maybe let us know what happens.

Oil - How to Check Oil Level:
1. http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/48835.aspx
2. https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/service/viewservicetip.aspx?ls=star&yr=2003&lid=2&mid=61&tid=8

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hey Ken.

I have absolutely nothing to add to this post, except to say congratulations on your new sweet ride. You're gonna love this way this bike rides, and the attention it gets due to its unique nature. People like its sport/cruiser cross-over characteristics. Keep it stock if you want, cuz it rocks just the way it is. Or, start spending some time on this forum for an endless amount of ideas for modifications -- some quick and cheap (or even free), and some expensive and time-consuming.

OK, maybe one thing to add... mine runs and rides better, the more miles I put on it. I also experienced the engine stalling a couple times at stops when I first bought the bike. That lasted only a couple hundred miles, and has not happened since.

Go Cardinals!!!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Its a push rod motor. Dont worry about it. They are very noisy. I took my 07 back several times, worried about the noise, but there were no problems. I solved it by getting louder pipes.

·
Administrator
29,687 Posts
I'm betting this is correct HOWEVER . . .

I always worry about replying this way because I never know if theother guy is accustomed to the same level of noise. What is noisy to me might not be noisy to him. But the other way 'round could mislead someone. That's what happend a few years back when it turned out a guy had a jammed-up oil passage and his bike was running noisy - but there were no Warriors nearby to compare so nobody knew it. Again, I'm sure its fine but I like to suggest checking the oil level.

BOSSMAN2677 said:
Its a push rod motor. Dont worry about it. They are very noisy. I took my 07 back several times, worried about the noise, but there were no problems. I solved it by getting louder pipes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to see what they would say, I called Yamaha USA customer serviceon Monday. Regarding the sound, they told me the engine is noisy, but almost never has any real problems. However, they did say there was an outstanding factory recall on the bike that the dealer should have applied for a faulty coil pickup. They told me not to ride the bike, but to bring it to the nearest Yamaha dealer to have therecall work performed.

When I asked - "how am I supposed to get my bike to the dealer without riding it", the response was have it hauled there (and at my expense).

Right.

So I called the dealer and they said they had the parts and to drop off the bike (and naturally I rode it there). I also asked them to have a technician listen to the knocking that begins at 2100 RPM and tell me if this is a reasonable sound for a Warrior. I called them back yesterday afternoon, but they said - "you just dropped it off yesterday" - giving me the impression they plan to age it like cheese before working on it.

Anyway, it's pretty cold right now so I'm likely not missing any really fun riding for a little while. Hopefully, they will just tell me it's okay because the dealer explained to me that even if the knocking does not sound right, if they work on it - they have to specifically find a "part that has failed due to being defective to be covered by the warranty". It seems if something wasn't assembled entirely right and a clearance is off, because that would not be a part failure due to defective part, that's not covered by the warranty.

I'm not worried since most folks seem to think it's a relatively common sound for Warriors, but that's got to be the funkiest warranty logic I've ever heard. As fine as Yamaha's products are, I had incorrectly imagined that I'd call Yamaha USA and they'd say - "Mr. Wimsatt, your satisfaction is important to us. If you are hearing a loud knocking on your new vehicle, take it to a dealer and we'll pay to have it checked out".

I think maybe I've been watching too much TV and need to spend more time experiencing the cold slap in the face that is customer service these days.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Ken welcome to the forum. Im in Chantilly we will have to try and hook up for a ride once in a while.

there are a few recalls on these bikes. the two most recent are the tps and cps. mine is an 02 and I have not had either one done (still afraid for the stealership to touch my bike)

I THINK the pick up coil recall is the same as the cps. some of the guys on the forum were having problems with the dealerships and this recall it seems that some of the dealerships were, instead of doing the recall by the book, clipping the wire just outside of the engine case and splicing into the old wire. it has caused at least one accident (ohiomike) when the splice came undone and shorted out. check your bike when you get it back or maybe even proactively check with the dealership to make sure they don splice the wires. splicing those wires is NOT acceptable no matter what the dealship might tell you

someone more knowledgable than me can chime in to be sure I havent got my facts mixed up

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
SmaShitUp(mike7202) said:
Ken welcome to the forum. Im in Chantilly we will have to try and hook up for a ride once in a while.

there are a few recalls on these bikes. the two most recent are the tps and cps. mine is an 02 and I have not had either one done (still afraid for the stealership to touch my bike)

I THINK the pick up coil recall is the same as the cps. some of the guys on the forum were having problems with the dealerships and this recall it seems that some of the dealerships were, instead of doing the recall by the book, clipping the wire just outside of the engine case and splicing into the old wire. it has caused at least one accident (ohiomike) when the splice came undone and shorted out. check your bike when you get it back or maybe even proactively check with the dealership to make sure they don splice the wires. splicing those wires is NOT acceptable no matter what the dealship might tell you

someone more knowledgable than me can chime in to be sure I havent got my facts mixed up

Mine was "supposedly" done at Columbia (dealer in Connecticut) just before I bought it. Most parts they took off they put back on wrong...rear motor mount on backwards , bolts in wrong holes etc...and when I did my motor work I saw that they never did replace the CPS !!!!!!

EDIT: I've determined that theCPS was replaced but all the other screwups remained.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just called the dealership. They assured me that they would not splice, but would replace entirely (I certainly hope they do). They've yet to comment on the knocking matter. From what I've been reading, I'll be happy just to get my bike back without anything funky having been done to it.

Now if my Gerbing gear will just arrive, perhaps my thumbs will stop splitting and bleeding when I ride from the cold.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Picked up the bike this afternoon. Dealership said they performed 990038 (Pick-up Coil Recall) installing 90891-30047-00 (Pick-Up Kit - which they indicate includes coil and new wire, no splicing) and 90179-22006-00 (nut).

They also said the (knocking) noise is normal for a Warrior and generally explained that the gates on the intake open by that RPM to the point that the delightful push-rod sounds from within the engine become VERY audible. The bike performed on my delightful 28 degree ride home just like it had before. Had to count my fingers when I got home to make sure they were still there (since I couldn't feel them).

So, the D&D slip-on arrives later this week and I'll put it on this weekend and stop worrying about the knocking noise. Thanks to everyone for the information!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts