RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the FAQ and came across the Krank Vent topic. It sounds like a good idea. What experience has anyone had with it? Is it worth the expense or just a gimmick?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
oh, you just opened up a can of worms topic. Opionions very, from yes to no. I say yes. check out this link. http://www.et-performance.com/krank_vents.html also do a search.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've got one, it IS expensive. Jury's still out on need. May prove to be inexpensive insurance. Read all the archived posts and the Krank Vent web site and make your choice. [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Venting the crankcase on a slave-rod V-Twin is essential, to prevent/reduce pressurization of the crank case when the pistons fall, which can force oil into areas of the system you'd rather it not me, or past gaskets and onto your newly cleaned bike, or your garage floor. Relieving this case pressure also removes resistance to the pistons' downstroke, gaining a little power, and to some extent removes heat, and likely volatile and corrosive elements contained in the gasses. Normally/Legally, this gas pressure is directed, through a variety of passageways and hoses, back into the intake system, where it can be re-aspirated by the engine, reducing release of certain polutants into the atmosphere. Speaking strictly to performance and cost, simply venting the crank with a tube, tipped with a filter, would work the best, but in most cases people don't want the oil that is contained in this puffed-out gas to show up on their bike, so various companies have designed systems to try and prevent that unsightly mess. So, find a system that looks good on your bike, and one that the mechanic will guarantee to fix the problem (unlikely), and go from there. And just hope that the bureaucrats don't gain any more power, or we'll all be cooked for making ANY of these modifications. ER

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
The top of the line is to connect the end of that Krank Vent hose to your exhaust for more extracting pressure. Good Luck!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I used to run my warrior hard and I got a leak below the rocker box on my front cylinder.Thats why I got a krankvent.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Love the Krank Vent. If anything, to allow you the ability for controlled leakage amount and direction based on crankcase pressure and where you wish to route the vent. Cheap motor insurance...

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
like i asked earlier... i have the line off the rear cover runiing down and it will blow a lil oil out now and then, but i have no filter, or Krank vent on it. what is the difference in adding the krank vent?! i've read threads, i've read their web site... but dont inderstand what my set up is harming?!

·
Registered
843 Posts
quote:Originally posted by audio77

like i asked earlier... i have the line off the rear cover runiing down and it will blow a lil oil out now and then, but i have no filter, or Krank vent on it. what is the difference in adding the krank vent?! i've read threads, i've read their web site... but dont inderstand what my set up is harming?!

Your set up is not harming anything at all. The difference with a krank vent is that it is a one way valve that only lets gas OUT of the crank vent, but not back in as with an open hose. With just a hose the pressure in the crank case is fluctuating up and down but can never be below ambient because at any point in the cycle that the pressure is reducing gas is free to flow back into the crank case via the hose. According to the manufacturer the krank vent will lower the pressure in the crank case and maintain it at below ambient which is good for engine seals. Supposedly it maintains a low enough pressure that the suction helps pull the pistons down on the down stroke. How great this effect is and if it is worth the price is anybody's guess. As far as relieving pressure on seals it definitely seems to work well. Before the crank vent I would always have a small amount of oil leaking from the rear rocker box after sustained 100 mph plus runs. After the crank vent ... no leaks ever.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Exactly as DEWARRIOR says, proof of this is when you start your bike,(with seat already off) rev it a few times, let it settle for maybe 20 seconds, shut it off, unscrew the oil filler cap and listen for the suction noise of air going INTO the crankcase. Air going in means there was a suction on the crankcase, a perfect situation for engine efficiency. A WORD OF CAUTION, keep this thing clean, I have mine easily accessible, it will clog up occasionally, especially if you crank it without riding it to full temp, a white oil/moisture buildup will form and cause it to act like a normal vent. Simply remove it, clean it with WD-40, and reinstall. I can hear mine clucking even with my Bigshots on, when it stops clucking, time to clean it, The directions say to clean it at every oil change, I think usage may vary. Some of you say it is no more than an expensive PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve, you are correct, BUT, a pcv valve requires an intake PLENUM with constant intake vacuum (most commonly 4 or more cylinders) to work. Cant get that on a v-twin with short intake runners, period. It lets the positive bursts of pressure out every time the engine fires, then slams shut when the piston goes back up, VIOLA, suction. Trust me on this one guys, its simple physics(sorry if I'm oversimplifying for some of you). Even if it cost five times as much as it does, I would still have bought it. Been running it for two years, got it as soon as I found out about it on this forum. Now THATS the kind of info this forum is known for, and I got it from some of the founding members here!

·
Registered
490 Posts
dewarrior was the first person to explain it to me were it makes sense to have a krank vent. thanks alot, now i have to go get one and install it

·
Registered
207 Posts
If I have a crankcase breather then how is my crankcase going to get any pressure buildup. Air in air out. IMO, don't waste your money on the "krankvent".

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
By golly I better vent my krank too! Count me in. Got to order one soon.

·
Registered
785 Posts
quote:Originally posted by finallyfree

If I have a crankcase breather then how is my crankcase going to get any pressure buildup. Air in air out. IMO, don't waste your money on the "krankvent".
Its the sudden bursts of pressure that cause the problems, a simple vent cant keep up, a Krankvent builds up negative pressure to offset the sudden bursts of positive pressure. To each his own, if you dont think its worth it, then its not worth it to you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts