RS Warrior Forum banner

Lane Splitting

2K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  svalenti 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I know it's legal to lane split in California and it's one thing to filter through a bunch of tree hugging hippies, but doing it in Texas well they all carry guns and there is a different mindset there. Like, "If I'm going to be stuck in traffic, so are you, now get your coondingy back in line." same as it is here in GA.

#3 ·
Wouldn't work here in Washington, most cagers think they have a right to control freeway flow. They love to bunch up and keep everyone going 60 in the 70 when there's no traffic,sh!t like that. You'd be dead in a minute by some genius that "owns" the road, that's going to enforce his version of the law. As far as riding on the shoulder, no thanks, the last time I tried that one I picked up a nail in my 250 tire on my Hammer with only 600 miles on it.

#5 ·
I'm guilty of white lining almost anytime there is traffic, especially if I'm out on my HD Dresser in 90 degree + weather. Bad habit I took on in my 36 years riding bikes. I have yet to get a ticket. I am very watchful for cars that inch over as I'm coming up, and yes, one idiot did open the door on his car to block me. This resulted in allot of horn honking and people shouting at him. Gentleman to my left signaled me to pull in in front of him so I could run up an alternative line.

#6 ·
TX should pass that law. It may start out a bit rough but eventually Texans will realize the benifits of all the motorcycles relieving traffic. There will always be a resentful punk that will want to close the gap, but that will be in front of you, which is better than watching a guy in the rearview screaching to a stop.

#8 ·
It sure wouldn't work in Atlanta, GA traffic! Most cagers can't even stay in their lane when there are 5 lanes to choose from. Also, speed limits are just a suggestion most of the time here on the expressways. Only rule in ATL traffic is that if you go down, don't let go of the bike, because they will run you over to avoid the bike. Also, ATL is the capital of "ladder in the road" award.

#11 ·
CADFather said:
I know it's legal to lane split in California and it's one thing to filter through a bunch of tree hugging hippies, but doing it in Texas well they all carry guns and there is a different mindset there. Like, "If I'm going to be stuck in traffic, so are you, now get your coondingy back in line." same as it is here in GA.
I agree. A good friend of mine was shot and killed in Texas due to road rage

this was my response on the site regarding lane sp;itting on Texas

I lived and rode in Houston for many years (I am now back in
California), and I can tell you that Texas is NOT ready for lane
splitting! The drivers there regularly try to run bikers off the road.
I have even had drivers try to hit me on the HOV lane. Here in
California it seems drivers are more used to seeing bikes split lanes
and I rarely get a person actively trying to block me off (happens
every now and then). Until Texas drivers get an attitude adjustment I
would advise against it in Texas. just my 2 cents, but i speak from
thousand upon thousands of miles ridden in both states.

#12 ·
The problem in California is that most drivers are ignorant about most traffic laws and don't even know that lane splitting is legal. Today I was riding thru the canyons and a huge p/u truck tried to purposely run me off the road by literally squeezing me out of the lane by putting his truck in a 45 degrees angle to the road.....a real douch bag and he had a good chuckle with his son while I stared at their punk asses for a good 2 mins.

Lane splitting requires a lot of concentration here in SoCal as you cannot lose focus on the fact that one *** in the sea of the traffic jam snake is going to pull out in front of you unexpectedly. But it does save you tons of time and agony in heavy traffic. The Hurt study whichis the most comprehensive study of motorcycle accidents to this date concluded that lanesplitting actually helped reduce the risk of auto vs MC accidents.

#13 ·
With the limits of traffic speeds and motorcycle can not travel more than miles a hour, it could work if people check their egos at the curb.

Atleast you may be able to get to the head of the line at a light.

#14 ·
With 102 cid I split lanes for the reason it is intended....COOLING.No way I will just sit and let my Warrior burndown. I have had more than a few drivers try and pinch me . I would just add there is a right way and a wrong way to do just about anything.A lot of people will move over to give you more room.Still there was this Chick in this black Escalade that smacked me but good with her mirror into my shoulder.

#15 ·
It shouldn't be a problem really...here in the uk 'filtering' ..left right or straight down the middle is ok..young scooterists in london don't even slow down...the rules suggested for Texas are good common sense - we have unwritten 'don't be stupid rules' in London - It's going to be one of the first 5 cages at the end of the line that's going to 'u' turn on you..the rest are in it for the duration - No faster than 20 mph faster than the cages, filtering past stationary stuff or on motorways - watch the tyres direction of each cage [the earliest warning ya going to get] - Best on the outsude of the traffic where they are used to looking behind them [but watch for nails at the islands]..it works and we usually give a nod of thanks as we pass..

I have always thought bikes should have a special noise box [as it can't be loud pipes anymore] that you can switch on - like some 'whooshing' noise you get from those truck reversing boxes to get sleepy cages to just look in the mirror out of 'curiosity' ...job half done then ...just 0.2 pennies worth

#16 ·
I think it should be allowed at stoplights. Never split lanes in moving traffic when I lived in CA, but I always would split lanes or ride on the shoulderat stoplights. If they allowthat in Texas, great. As far as I'm concerned, if some *** cager has a problem with it, then they shouldtradetheir pick-em-up truck fora bike.

#18 ·
I spilt lanes here in San Diego every day. I commute 30 miles in each direction 5 days a week. Splitting lanes keeps you visible - safer. I installed an airhorn to wake up the cagers that drift in their lanes. My biggest issue splittng lanes is watching for those cagers that dart from one lane that's barely moving to another lane that's barely moving. They're not changing lanes toward an exit, they changing in to the "fast" lane. They never look and there's just no good reason to change lanes at that point.

I spilt any time the traffic goes below 40. I've passed CHP splitting lanes at 50 and never an issue. Twice I've hit minivan mirrors with my mirror only because the mother driver was drifting; I don't think it was intentional.

I also installed a headlight modulator which gets noticed andmost people actually move over for me.

I love living in SoCal!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.