RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Fieldsheer leather jacket . I actually ordered two , a 42 which is a medium and a 44 which is a large. I usually wear a large in everything else but in this jacket the 44 is a little loose and the 42 fits like a glove with a little breathing room.

My question is how do you like a motorcycle jacket to fit , a little loose or a little snugg?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I don't like it to be tight. My leather is a little big. Plus if it's really cold out i can put on a hooded sweat shirt on underneath the jacket.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
At the minimum one size larger than needed with the jacket liner in place. You can add a few layers under it as needed if it gets really cold + a loose fitting jacket can be worn it warmer temps.

Also: leathers last a long time if they don't hit the pavement so get one that will still fit you when you put on some weight in the years to come.

I have given my best bud 2 expensive leathers that I grew out of. That guy is still a bean pole.

My favorite leather is over 20 years old & its a tight fit now. I only wear it on occasion when the temps are in the 70's.

·
Registered
255 Posts
As a card carrying subscriber to GQ and Men's Vogue, I am affiliated with thehaberdashery police. It should fit like a suit jacket. Have you ever been measured for a suit? It's free if you just walk in to a tailor with an old sport coat and just say you want to be fitted. You're most likely a 42R but most bike leather jackets are long on the sleeves. When you're fitted it usually with a T-shirt and broad cloth shirt, although a T-shirt underneath is optional nowadays. But as far a snug goes, that is an option that only you can answer. http://www.ravistailor.com/extras/measprint_men.htm

As you can see there's snug, comfortable, loosely comfortable, baggy and all types and cuts for a jacket and your specific leather jacket is already made with room at the armpit to accomodate the riding position, but the sizing is relative to a sport coat.

It is recommended that you refit your suits every 2 years butmotorcyclefullleather jacket need to be tightfor safety. This is often not the case for casual riding. Bottom line though, it'swhat ever youthink looks good. Looking good is above comfort and protection.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
If you have ever been down, sliding or seen the aftermath you would want your jacket tight enough to NOT ride up when you are sliding. I have seen incidents where the riders jacket was so loose the bottom worked itself up during a fall/slide and the rider had road rash all over his lower back. Picking rock and asphalt out of what's left of your skin is no fun. I was down and in a slide a very long time ago, but was fortunately geared fully and ended up with just some bruises.

For me, I like a tighter fitting jacket that will ensure it does not move around or strip off if you slide, but not so tight as to make me feel unfomfortable. I tend to tighten the adjustments around the waist line and wrists, but like it a little looser around the chest area...

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
Im a big guy so its VERY hard for me to find a jacket that fits correctly. Its either too loose at the waist, too tight in the chest or perfect on both but the upper arms are uber tight. Finally I found a decent tailor that wasnt put off by working with heavy leather and he fit my jacket very nice to me ($50). Before then it would baloon up at speed and I would get tossed all over the place by wind turbulence. Now, as big as I am, I slip right through the air without an issue. Its tigth enough with the liner in that anything more than a polo or t-shirt would make it unconfortable in riding position but loose enough that to allow a little air in for ventilation in the summer.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I prefer mine to fit a little loose but inevitably every jacket I like is cut to fit more snug in at least one area or another until I go to a size so much larger that it just won't work because it bunches up around my neck or the sleeves get ridiculous even in position. Basically it seemsI lean more towards jackets meant for sportbike owners but my gut puts me back in the standard leathers that seem cut to be a bit more "accomodating" there. My most comfortable jacket is my Fieldsheer so hopefully you'll like yours as well. I was in between sizes also and went with the larger one but I see the logic people have presented both ways.

I had a very nice Dainese jacket but I was talked into too small of a size and it's tight squeezejust never worked for me. My latest jacket is a Frank Thomas XTII or whatever (all mesh version) for summer and it has plenty of cinching adjustments and resizing snaps so it fits pretty much however you want each time you put it on compared to just the standard waist straps.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input . The jacket is the Fieldsheer Super sport 4.The 42 is too tight and not very comfortable on the bike and the 44 bunches up around my neck and is a little too loose around the back so I'll be returning both jackets. I will keep my 3 yr old Joe Rocket Meteor textile for now , it fits like a tailor made jacket . Im still looking for a good leather jacket with some armor if anyone has any ideas. Thanks again for taking the time to write your responses.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey Stranger... would still like to get together to go for a ride....

I wear a Hein Gricke {First Gear} v- pilot... it is cut long in the arms for extension while riding... fully armored...with a buttload of vents for summer riding... and a detachable liner with an attached scarf for winter...full leather and tough as nails...these things are cut Euro- style...a 44 large fits like a glove!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
David Cross said:
... and a detachable liner with an attached scarf for winter

And my mind immediately went to....

On a somewhat related topic I heard Linus rode a Warrior until he wrecked it while fleeing from the cops drunk after beating up on a hooker. Rumors say the tranny hooker might have been Peppermint Patty but you know how rumors go.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got this one

Looking at the chart I should get medium but I got large and it was a good choice.

I got little bit more room for extra clothing.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
David Cross said:
Hey Stranger... would still like to get together to go for a ride....

I wear a Hein Gricke {First Gear} v- pilot... it is cut long in the arms for extension while riding... fully armored...with a buttload of vents for summer riding... and a detachable liner with an attached scarf for winter...full leather and tough as nails...these things are cut Euro- style...a 44 large fits like a glove!

Some of us are meeting in Helen this Saturday at the barbecue place and riding up to and around Blood Mt.

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/120513.aspx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts