RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might be having a blond moment
I have tried fitting a Kuryakyn LED load equalizer and it makes no difference to the flash rate. I am wiring the purple wire to the positive indicator feed and the black to one of the negative indicator feeds. Is this OK or should I find a decent ground point for the black wire?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,912 Posts
Badger said:
I think I might be having a blond moment
I have tried fitting a Kuryakyn LED load equalizer and it makes no difference to the flash rate. I am wiring the purple wire to the positive indicator feed and the black to one of the negative indicator feeds. Is this OK or should I find a decent ground point for the black wire?
The Kuryakyn LEQ is a 3-wire device. What P/N are you using and exactly what type of lights are you using on the frt and rear. LED's or Incandescent or combinationof ? I haveexperienced that their4-amp ratedunit, #4807 doesn't handle the load as well as their 2-amp rated unit, #4810
. So if you have LED's frt and rear you'll need 2- 4810's



Besure you have a solid GRND by usingthe OEM wired ground that runs to either of the signal lights

[*]1 - Black wire to Yamaha Black GRND
[*]2 - Purple wires

[*]1 - to the Green Turn Signal wire
[*]1 - to the Brown Turn Signal Wire[/list][/list]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Alan. I have 2 X 4807. I am going to use them with LED indicators, one for the front pair and one for the rears. Just to test the equalizer I opened the headlamp and disconnected one of the incadescent indicators and connected an LED indicator in its place. I then connected the black wire of theequalizer to the negative feed to the indicator and one of the purple wires to the positive feed. This was as far as I got. I thought that if it was not working at this stage then it would make no difference going any further. This is currently where I am at.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,912 Posts
Badger said:
Hi Alan. I have 2 X 4807. I am going to use them with LED indicators, one for the front pair and one for the rears. Just to test the equalizer I opened the headlamp and disconnected one of the incadescent indicators and connected an LED indicator in its place. I then connected the black wire of theequalizer to the negative feed to the indicator and one of the purple wires to the positive feed. This was as far as I got. I thought that if it was not working at this stage then it would make no difference going any further. This is currently where I am at.
When checking theLEQ operationbe sure to have your engine running so that the charging circuit is putting out 14.8V approx. My experience with the Kuryakyn #4807 is that it doesn't draw 4amps asadvertised but only 1.5amp as shown in this earlier thread below:


AlanH said:
Wed, Jun 20 2007 11:56 PM
warpack....The Kuryakyn 4807 although advertised as 4 amp load equalizer resisitor (LEQ) is actually only 1.5 amp load [:0] [
] and is good for nothing IMO!

The 2 amp Kuryakyn 4810 draws 2.05 amp and will correct only 1 pair of signal lights to the factory blink rate. If running LED's frt & rear you'll need 2 Kuryakyn 4810 wired in parallel.

I recently went full LED's and substituted the existing 2 amp 4810 LEQ with the 4 amp Kuryakyn 4807. It was at that time i discovered it was useless!

Here's a single line schematic that i sent to Kuryakyn Technical support that has gone unanswered [
!]




quote:

Originally posted by warpack

I installed the Kuryakyn 4amp Ld. eq. and it still does it.(it did slow the led's down though) Use the key-problem solved


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alan. Thanks for your info. So are you saying the Kuryakyn 4807 will not work?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,912 Posts
Badger said:
Alan. Thanks for your info. So are you saying the Kuryakyn 4807 will not work?
Bob .... i know we are an ocean & continent apart and you speak the Queen's English, Eh
but i thought we spoke the same language!


As i stated earlier, "The Kuryakyn 4807 although advertised as 4 amp load equalizer resisitor (LEQ) is actually only 1.5 amp load
and is good for nothing IMO!"


Unless Kuryakyn has addressed this LOADissue, which i doubt, it will take 2 X 4807 to equal 1 X 4810


I suggest you prove me right or prove me wrong by connecting your other 4807 in parallel with the current circuit you're working on. As i stated earlier, i suggest you check the flash rate with the engine running. The higher 14.8 charging voltage will allow the LEQ to draw more amps and correct a marginal flash rate depending upon the load of your new LED lighting.


You've probably cut the white 3-prong connector at this point and are unable to return the product? In my case, i extracted the terminals from the plug for testingand returned the part to Phat Performance as defective and undamaged. They sent me out another 4807 which performed the same way so i ran a simpletest as documented in theearlier diagram. My 2nd call to Matt @ Phat Perf wasn't inspiring at all and we had a falling out as he thought i was full of $hit, blah blah ... I returned the 4807 and made my own 4-amp LEQ as shown here: http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157602604626135/


Edited: Kuryakyn Technical Support never responded to my documented diagram nor did Matt @ Phats ... Oh well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AlanH said:
Bob .... i know we are an ocean & continent apart and you speak the Queen's English, Eh
but i thought we spoke the same language!

Two countries divided by a common language



Anyway I have cut the heat shrink and measured the resistance and it is 7.8?. That should equate to a current of 1.89 amps at 14.8V. That should give a load of 27.97 Watts which should be more than adequate for one indicator. Obviously not enough for two though. I will give it another try and if that does not work I will solder another 15.6? resistor in parrallel in each equalizer to bring the resistance down to 5.2? and try again.


Thanks again Alan. I will hire a translator for next time
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,912 Posts
Badger said:
AlanH said:
Bob .... i know we are an ocean & continent apart and you speak the Queen's English, Eh
but i thought we spoke the same language!

Two countries divided by a common language



Anyway I have cut the heat shrink and measured the resistance and it is 7.8?. That should equate to a current of 1.89 amps at 14.8V. That should give a load of 27.97 Watts which should be more than adequate for one indicator. Obviously not enough for two though. I will give it another try and if that does not work I will solder another 15.6? resistor in parrallel in each equalizer to bring the resistance down to 5.2? and try again.


Thanks again Alan. I will hire a translator for next time
No translator req'd as we both speak Ohm's Law



Here's a handy tool residing on my desktop: http://www.angelfire.com/pa/baconbacon/page2.html


7.8? is to high a resistance for either the frt or rear IMO to establish the OEM blink rate. The #4810 uses 1- 5.6? resistor only. The #4807 uses 2-resistors in parallel.


EDITED: Their stamped values should be 15.6? each ?


It's theLED's with the lowestresisitance that will have the most net affect on the flash rate. For my Dual Load Equalizer i used (2) 15w5.6 ohm resistors as shown here: http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157602604626135/


Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alan. I know that you da man when it comes to this techie stuff but are 15W resistors man enough for an intermittent 78W load? I'm sure they must be if you're using them succesfully.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,912 Posts
Bob,


Remember you are using the resistors in parallel so the wattage is X2 andohms is Divided by 2

[*]
(2) 15w 5.6 ohm resistors = 30w 2.8 ohm[/list]


In your case it's X3 andohms will be Div by 3 as long as they are all the same specs!


Here's the mounting:http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1686150643/in/set-72157602604626135/


The 2-ceramic resistors are attached to the aluminum base using thermally conductive 2-sided tape to dissipate the heat. The positive side of the assembly is insulated w/ black liquid tape.
The black electrical tape has been removed and Hi-Temp Fiberglass Tape is laying beneath the shrink wrapped connections for protection


The foot print increases witha larger wattage resistor. Since Kuryakyn uses this exact resistor for their #4810 2amp LEQ i just doulbed up for the 4amp load. I've had this unit in my bike since Aug '07' and> 10,000miles. The aluminum case also acts as a heatsink as well and i have it located adjacent to the RH fender stay where it sees air and can't harm anything when it heats up. Shown here in this photo before being pushed into the pocket where it isn't visible: http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1686174035/in/set-72157602604626389/


Also, not all of the load is seen by the LEQ. The Flasher Relay and the T/S LED lighting also share a portion as well so 78w isn't real world unless it was directly connected to the battery terminals! Observe the single line schematic i posted earlier and the influence the connected light had to the amp reading!


I agree with you that ahigher wattage resistor is better and certainly won't hurt. The interesting thing about my install is that my flash rate is picture perfect when theengine is running (14.8v). With just the Key ON (12v)the T/S flash faster which tells me that i have a balanced load with the installed LEDlighting that is on my bike and i'm not wasting much energy
Now that was just pureluck.


Kuryakyn designed the 4810 LEQ to be used with their LED Silver bullets which aren't as high a resistance as my Chris dual circuit LED frt lights. If i had Silver bullets up frt the flash rate would be normal with Key On for sure.


What's the wattage and ohm rating of your resistor. I assumed it was 15.6 ohm ..... 2X your 7.8 ohm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AlanH said:
Bob,


Remember you are using the resistors in parallel so the wattage is X2 andohms is Divided by 2

[*]
(2) 15w 5.6 ohm resistors = 30w 2.8 ohm[/list]


In your case it's X3 andohms will be Div by 3 as long as they are all the same specs!


Oops! Forgot about the fact it will also be acurrentdivider



What's the wattage and ohm rating of your resistor. I assumed it was 15.6 ohm ..... 2X your 7.8 ohm



The resistors that are currently in the Kuryakyn module are 15.6 ohm and, I assume by their size, about 15 watts. I will be adding another of the same to each module bring the resistance down to 5.2 ohm. So with the two modules in parallel I will get 2.6 ohm, similar to what you are using, so hopefully good to go.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,912 Posts
Badger said:
AlanH said:
Bob,


Remember you are using the resistors in parallel so the wattage is X2 andohms is Divided by 2

[*]
(2) 15w 5.6 ohm resistors = 30w 2.8 ohm[/list]


In your case it's X3 andohms will be Div by 3 as long as they are all the same specs!


Oops! Forgot about the fact it will also be acurrentdivider



What's the wattage and ohm rating of your resistor. I assumed it was 15.6 ohm ..... 2X your 7.8 ohm



The resistors that are currently in the Kuryakyn module are 15.6 ohm and, I assume by their size, about 15 watts. I will be adding another of the same to each module bring the resistance down to 5.2 ohm. So with the two modules in parallel I will get 2.6 ohm, similar to what you are using, so hopefully good to go.
... 15.6w / 2.6 ohm= 6 pcs X 15w = 90watts .... OK
You're allset to ride in Parade Formation with your Hazard lights on if you can figure thatcircuit out
Now where areyou going to fit 6 pcs?


You're using the2-existing diodes to prevent feedback for a 3-wire device on both packages that will contain 3-resistors eachand must be wired in parallel toeach other and alsothe T/S circuit! Each package of 3 will be rated @ 45watts & 5.2 ohms


Don't you think it's a lot easier to buy 2- Kury #4810 LEQ's & tape them together
The downside is you won't be in the parade
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AlanH said:
Don't you think it's a lot easier to buy 2- Kury #4810 LEQ's & tape them together
The downside is you won't be in the parade

Alan, you could be right
Thanks mate.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top