RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left Side Motor Mount, Dyna Coils, Ignition Key, Start Button, Mount Bracket Mod/ How To (26 Pics)

This post is somewhat of a part II to a post I did from a while back. Some members have requested more detail so I decided to finally post the changes I made including more details on how I modified the stock motor mount and the custom bracket used to mount the aftermarket coil/key bracket to the motor mount. Here is a link to the older post on this topic: http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/28541/391628.aspx#391628. Since then I have switched to a different aftermarket coil/key mount, a different key switch, added a start button, and collected dimensions and pictures of the small bracket that mounts everything to the left side motor mount. I also modified a stock motor mount for a close friend and took pictures which shows how I did my own motor mount.

PARTS LIST:

1. The Gothic Spoke Coil Bracket from J & P Cycles online, part number 382-865, cost me $145.99

2. The Dyna Coils from Phat Performance Parts online, part number DC2-1, cost me $119.00

3. The Yellow 8mm Taylor Wires with 90 degree boots from J & P Cycles online, part number 381-125, cost me $20.99

4. The Yellow 8mm Taylor Wires with 135 degree boots from J & P Cycles online, part number 380-686, cost me $20.99

5. The Round Key Ignition Switch from J & P Cycles online, part number 3700021, cost me $21.99

6. The Pushbutton Start Switch I have no information on, lets just say it cost me about $15.00

7. The powder coating from a local guy who charges me no minimum fee cost me about $30.00

8. The custom angle bracket came from a steel scrap bin for me but lets say a maximum of $20 from your local hardware store.

9. The misc chrome hardware was probably around $25 from my local hardware store.

10. The price of labor, well it offsets to free if you reap the rewards of doing it all yourself I guess.

TOTAL PARTS COST $418.96

Keep in mind that this nice chrome coil bracket comes in a version that has no key or start button holes so if you just want to upgrade to Dyna Coils without all the ignition key stuff and want the looks of your coils on the left side this mod still applies. It also comes in black if you prefer the blacked out look.

1. I started by cleaning up the stock motor mount in a media blaster because it is going to be powder coated after the modification anyway.

2. I then cut off all the extra brackets I will no longer be using and drilled a couple large holes to give me an end point to the cutting I will be doing.

3. There is probably an easier way to trim this steel but I chose to use a pneumatic cuttoff wheel.

4. I just marked off the excess I wanted to cut off and used the previously drilled large holes as the end of my cuts.

5. This is after I am finished cutting and have sanded down the cut edges.

6. I smoothed out the bottom. I did this modification to prepare the motor mount for the new coil/key bracket and make more room for the fuel injection line after relocating the FPR to under the top gas tank.

7. Ready to go out to powder coat for semi-gloss black.

8. I made a custom little bracket from a scrap of 2 x 2 x 3/16 angle iron. Here is the drawing of all the dimensions. I made this bracket originally for thefirst coil/key bracket I used in the previous post. The hole for the ignition key on the new coil/key bracket is higher up so I had to mod this little bracket by milling out the verticalface with a slot so it would not interfere with the ignition key. If someone decides to use this drawing to make one, just don't make the vertical face as long as I originally did and you won't have to mill that section out. It will still have plenty of mounting surface available and be plenty strong as it is made from mild steel. Sorry for using a picture to show all the dimensions, best I can do at the moment. Here is one using the flash and not using the flash, hopefully between the 2 you can read all the numbers.

9. Here is the finished bracket before powder coating.

10. Here is the "Gothic Spoke Coil Bracket" I got from J & P Cycles online, part number 382-865.

11. Here is the round key style ignition switch I am using. It is actually the first aftermarket ignition switch I used back from an earlier mod shown in this previous post: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/28151.aspx?PageIndex=1. I got it from J & P Cycles online, part number 3700021. It is a 2 wire single pole single throw switch. It actually has 3 positions, key is inserted/removed in first position, second position does nothing but retain the key from being removed, and the third position completes the 2 wire electrical circuit. I has been a while but I believe the neck area of this ignition switch had to be filed down slightly to seat properly in the mount but it was no big deal to accomodate. This switch works great and I really like the looks of it as well. The switch is wired to complete the circuit of the 2 main larger gauge wires from the OEM key switch. In the Service Manual diagram they are labeled R and Br/L which should be Red and Brown/Blue. There are 2 smaller guage wires from the OEM key switch that I permanently soldered together and covered with heatshrink. In the Service Manual diagram they are labeled L/Y and L/B which should be Blue/Yellow and Blue/Black. I don't know the exact purpose of this circuit other than maybe just an input to the ECU to let it know that the ignition key is turned on. A relay could be used to complete this circuit whenmy aftermarket key is turned on but I have had no problems with it permanently soldered and it has been this way for 4 years now.

12.Pictureswithignition switch in place and custom mounting bracket in place.

13. Pictures with the start pushbutton switch in place. This is a single pole single throw momentary pushbutton I use to start my Warrior. I actually had this pushbutton from long ago so I don't have any brand names or part numbers. Certain pushbutton switches must use some common thread pitches/sizes because it threads directly into the coil/key bracket with no problems. I just used the switches jam nut and some blue locktite to hold it in place. It has solder tabs for wire connections. The button you press is stainless steel and takes a fair amount of physical pressure to activate. If anyone is interested in using the same switch I am sure it will not be all that hard to find. This small start switch can be used because it completes a circuit to a relay instead of the starter directly so the current draw is relatively small. You can see the coil/key bracket is designed to house a much larger start switch for a different application probably for a Harley Davidson. The 2 wires from this pushbutton start switch parallel the handlebar start switch. In the Service Manual diagram they are labeled L/W and B which should be Blue/White and Black. I did this by tapping into the Black wire right before it goes into the ECU under the seat and tapping into the Blue/White wire on the bottom side of the relay cluster under the seat. If you trace the Blue/White wire there is probably a much easier location to tap into it I just decided to splice into it at the relay cluster because I already had it accessible at the time. If you decide to do this mod be sure to use some type of continuity tester to make sure you are tapping into the correct wire.

14. Here is a picture of everything mounted up with the Dyna Coils in place. The Dyna Coils are from Phat Performance and are part number DC2-1. They have been lightly sand blasted, primed, and painted black. The Dyna Coils are designed to be mounted in this bracket with the outputs facing downward but I prefer the way it looks with them facing upwards. To make this work I had to space them off the bracket byusing4 1/4 x 1/8 inch thick chrome spacers and 4 chrome button head 1/4 - 20 x 1 inch boltsfrom the chrome hardware section at the local hardware store. The +12v and ECU control (input) wires arewired to these coilsexactly as the OEM coils were wired. I usedterminal lugs and chrome button head bolts, can't remember what size they are anymore. The 8mm plug wires are Taylor brand from J & P Cycles. The 2 for the left plugs are a 90 degree boot and are part number 381-125. The 2 for the right plugs are a 135 degree boot and are part number 380-686. The Taylor wires have to be cut to length and terminated. I used the proper 7-8mm crimp tool from NAPA which made the job very easy. These Taylor wires are designed to be snapped onto a spark plug that has a terminal nut threaded onto the tip of the plug. Our stock plugs do not have these so I bought some random spark plugs that do, removed them, and threaded them onto our stock plugs. The whole assembly is bolted to the motor mount using a 3/8 x3/4 inch grade 8 bolt inserted up from the bottom with a chrome 3/8 inch flat washer and a3/8 inchacorn nut on top. I used 2 chrome button head 1/4 - 20 x 3/4 inch bolts to mount the coil/key bracket to the custom angle iron bracket. I used blue locktite on all hardware except for the coil control (input) wires. For those who are curious about the fuel line, it is 1/2 inchblack racing fuel line with a CPC brand black anodized 1/2 dry break and it works great. A special thanks to AlanH for informing me that the CPC company started making the 1/2 inch size dry break!

15. Just to make it look better, I took some OEM button head bolts that are the same size and thread pitch as the original bolts that mount the motor mount to the cylinder heads, had them chromed and used them instead to mount to the cylinder heads. I have been riding with this setup for over a year now with absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Re: Left Side Motor Mount, Dyna Coils, Ignition Key, Start Button, Mount Bracket Mod/ How To (26 Pics)

Thank you so much for being so descriptive and visual. This is an incredible post.

Great Job!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: Left Side Motor Mount, Dyna Coils, Ignition Key, Start Button, Mount Bracket Mod/ How To (26 Pics)

That looks very cool and very creative. Awesome work and awesome post. Nice job!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts

Serious talent there.
Excellent pics and very well documented. And of course the end result is fabulous!

·
Vendor
943 Posts

That is a sweet mod you came up with. Bet if you could sell a few if you made some more.

·
Registered
213 Posts

****, dude! (actually... I think this deserves a two-syllable ****) DAY-AMN!

I can't wait to see these in the classifieds section.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Excellent write up. Awesome looking bike! Not to get off the topic but where did you get the headlight. Its exactly what I am looking for.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hey I appreciate the comments from you guys and hope some members can make use of this information for this mod or a similar one.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

warmachine said:
Excellent write up. Awesome looking bike! Not to get off the topic but where did you get the headlight. Its exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks!

The headlight is a Headwinds Mariah Concours Rocket Smooth from Phat Performance Parts online, product number DS - 280526. If you search this number on their website it will pull up the information. It is an expensive headlight, I paid about $560.00 for it about 4 years ago. Looks like the current price is around $510.00 today. This is just the price for the chrome headlight bucket, you still have to spend around $100.00 for the glass headlight itself. With that said, I can't believe how perfect this headlight still looks. After 4 years of use the chrome bucket looks like I just took it out of the box, very high quality stuff in my opinion. It was an expensive mod but I could not be happier with the headlight itself and the Headwinds brand.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

What was your total cost for all the parts, including the custom angle bracket and powdercoating?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Justice said:
What was your total cost for all the parts, including the custom angle bracket and powdercoating?

Well lets see if I can come up with a fairly accurate parts list:

1. The Gothic Spoke Coil Bracket from J & P Cycles online, part number 382-865, cost me $145.99

2. The Dyna Coils from Phat Performance Parts online, part number DC2-1, cost me $119.00

3. The Yellow 8mm Taylor Wires with 90 degree boots from J & P Cycles online, part number 381-125, cost me $20.99

4. The Yellow 8mm Taylor Wires with 135 degree boots from J & P Cycles online, part number 380-686, cost me $20.99

5. The Round Key Ignition Switch from J & P Cycles online, part number 3700021, cost me $21.99

6. The Pushbutton Start Switch I have no information on, lets just say it cost me about $15.00

7. The powder coating from a local guy who charges me no minimum fee cost me about $30.00

8. The custom angle bracket came from a steel scrap bin for me but lets say a maximum of $20 from your local hardware store.

9. The misc chrome hardware was probably around $25 from my local hardware store.

10. The price of labor, well it offsets to free if you reap the rewards of doing it all yourself I guess.

So it looks like we have a total parts cost of about $418.96

Keep in mind that this nice chrome coil bracket comes in a version that has no key or start button holes so if you just want to upgrade to Dyna Coils without all the ignition key stuff and want the looks of your coils on the left side this mod still applies.

·
Registered
140 Posts

+1 it's perfect!!!!!!!!..........

MADE IN ****!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

Just found a winter mod I must do. I really like the look of the coil braket. I dont want to move the key switch but moving the coils and covering up the motor mount would be a nice touch. Thanks for the write up, its very detailed and useful.

I found another source for the The Gothic Spoke Coil Bracket. They offer other styles of the same bracket with and without switch holes. This company seems to have other useful parts usWarrior owners my be able to use. Link below

http://vulcanworks.net/Coil-Brackets--Coils-orderby0-p-1-c-24.html

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

jimmy2 said:
Just found a winter mod I must do. I really like the look of the coil braket. I dont want to move the key switch but moving the coils and covering up the motor mount would be a nice touch. Thanks for the write up, its very detailed and useful.

I found another source for the The Gothic Spoke Coil Bracket. They offer other styles of the same bracket with and without switch holes. This company seems to have other useful parts usWarrior owners my be able to use. Link below

http://vulcanworks.net/Coil-Brackets--Coils-orderby0-p-1-c-24.html

Thanks for the Link information, it looks like they have the coil mount bracket for a fair amount cheaper. Yea I am sure most members are not looking to relocate their ignition switch,that partwas just a byproduct of going the route of an aftermarket headlight.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Awesome,,,just awesome,I'll do this mod ,Thank you very much for sheering you ideas with us ,I might try the headlight mod next year...Thanks again

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Rubberface49 said:
Awesome,,,just awesome,I'll do this mod ,Thank you very much for sheering you ideas with us ,I might try the headlight mod next year...Thanks again

Thank you and if you have any questions about this mod or the headlight mod feel free to contact me and I will do what I can to help you with any issues you come across.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

bpk0816 said:
Rubberface49 said:

Thank you and if you have any questions about this mod or the headlight mod feel free to contact me and I will do what I can to help you with any issues you come across.
..............................................Dude, as you can see,I was very interested in your mod, and em going to do it,,,,just waiting for some hard ware and the a push button from jcp's... I myself,, think this is one of the best left side mods so far,,,,I know you spent a lot of time perfecting this mod and I and others thank you for it,,,,,Chris

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Rubberface49 said:
bpk0816 said:
Rubberface49 said:

..............................................Dude, as you can see,I was very interested in your mod, and em going to do it,,,,just waiting for some hard ware and the a push button from jcp's... I myself,, think this is one of the best left side mods so far,,,,I know you spent a lot of time perfecting this mod and I and others thank you for it,,,,,Chris

Good luck with your mod, it looks like you have theright collection of parts to get started.We have a forecastin the low 60's today in Denver so I may actually get to ride the Warrior for a good portion of the day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts