RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that Yamaha must be receiving many calls from frustrated Warrior owners, but, it is no reason to treat concerned callers with careless disregard and nasty responses to legitimate questions re: when Yamaha intends to move on this situation.

I have received no evidence from Yamaha that they have prioritized the work of restoring our motorcycles, and, they are not even predicting when they will be. Plus the fact that my weekly polite status call to Yamaha in Southern California was met this week with a nasty, we don't know and quit bugging us".

Because I want my bike back (recall, mine has been held by the dealer since Jan. 9, per Yamaha corporate policy), I have decided to step things up. Lemon Law.

My initial inquiries re: Lemon Law were turned down because Yamaha has not made 4 unsuccessful repair attempts. However, the Lemon Law states that if the vehicle is out of commission (unsafe to ride, per Yamaha) for more than 30 days in a single year, it qualifies, and the company will be forced to take action.

I have found a law firm who is willing to review the case based upon the 30-day rule. My interest is in getting action. I like my bike, but, it's no good to me if it's sitting in some dealer's warehouse.

I will be providing this law firm with details re: what's happening, and expect to hear back early next week. He mentioned class-action, which of course, is his interest.

Yamaha needs to move on this. I was okay with waiting until I was treated badly, too. Now it's time to take action.

Best regards,

Patrick

Bump!

·
Registered
250 Posts
At the very least it'll show yamaha that they need to take action because we're not going to let them sit on their ass and take their time with our bikes. I think your on the right track.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yep - Canyon - you are entirely correct - AS LONG AS THE REPAIR IS NOTICED WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR AFTER PURCHASING..... for example - it wouldn't do me any good cause my bike is over 1 year old.... however, if you bought it within a year - they will have to buy the bike back from you.....

I've dealt with the federal and state lemon law (Florida) over a Saturn I bought last year.....

If they have had it since Jan. and, it's less than a year old - you will have no problem at all.

Good thinking! /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I just sent caynon carver's message to Yamaha's warranty people directly. I'm sure that the people answering the phone will also get a copy of your displeasure with their attitude. I'll keep everyone updated if I hear anything back from them. I have alread suggested that they go to this website and see what everyone is saying!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yep Gary - I think it's pretty disorganized to send people letters stating the bikes they paid for aren't safe and shouldn't be ridden - but, at the same time, take their own sweet time in pushing out the parts to fix them...... it's a CYA deal with very little showing of customer service after the fact. Yamaha is renowned for making quality products (in everything from electronics to motor vehicles) so, this sort of stumps me.....

Canyon - you'll have no problem with a Lawyer and the lemon law - it's stated VERY clearly.... I'm guessing what will happen is Yamaha will just pay you out and slap the dealer on the hand for holding your bike.....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Yeah, tell 'em you'll let them off easy with a free Speedstar Kit as opposed to buying your bike bike back. That or $3000 worth of accessories. Tell 'em they are getting a good deal!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the parts were going to ship to the southern states first then to the northern states. All I wan't, is to be able to safley ride mine when my friends are on their R6s. If I can't, I want a loner. I live in minnesota and can only ride 5 months out of a year.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Well - they aren't in the southern states yet and, I just talked to a local dealer and, they still haven't even been given word of WHEN they will be shipped..... so, it's not looking good....

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
That's nice invite Yamaha to our little world. What happens to us folks who have owned our Warrior's since 2001????? What Lemon Law protects us???

·
Registered
465 Posts
Good point - there is no such law.... the "flaw" must occur within the first year of purchase..... if it's a recall issue (or any other issue within the first year) and, they can't fix it in three attempts or, anyone of those attempts takes more than (in Florida I think it's 15 days - federal is 30 - I think??) the allotted time then, they have to buy it back...... if it's over a year old then, it falls under regular warranty (if applicable) or, if it's a recall issue then, well - nothing - which is what you see Yamaha doing......

·
Registered
38 Posts
I need to look into that FL Lemon Law a little closer. Mine bike went into service over a year ago too. The dealer doesn't have any idea when the parts will ship. I have been on the list for over a month and received my letter 3 weeks ago. I have had firm plans, reservations and all, to go to Daytona at the end of this month with a ride down to the Keys. I will have my lawyer buddy send Yamaha a letter next week too, hopefully to kickstart the fixing process.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
KIlleroAllHoly,
I feel everyone's pain and maybe more so. I just got my bike on 1/30/04! I've only had a chance to ride it about 35 miles since I picked it up. More of a rain/freezing issue in Georgia than "recall" issue. I figure that a lot of you have been riding your bikes for at least a year and I have some catching up before I get too concerned. I know that the other Road* owners are trying to get theirs fixed also. Hopefully, they will get this issue resolved sooner than later.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lemon laws allow for greater than 12 months if it is a problem of general concern. Thus, this rule will apply to all Warriors affected if we demonstrate that it is affecting all of us... which it is.

Just got a call back from the attorney. He is very excited at the prospects that he is seeing, and is DEFINITELY interested in making this a more generalized claim. I would be interested in facilitating this ONLY because it helps us to create leverage to encourage Yamaha to get off the dime.

Again, I'm not interested in bilking Yamaha, just interested in having them behave responsibly. I want my bike back, and I don't want to be treated with indignance when I make inquiries re: why Yamaha is showing no appearance of prioritizing this work.

If they aren't going to fix the bike for a long time, I want to be able to get another bike. My goal is to ride.

Patrick

·
Registered
639 Posts
You know guys, this recall is going to cost Yamaha no matter which way you slice it. What I don't understand is why Yamaha does not try to "soften the blow." You know, damage control.

I THINK they can access the DMV records in a recall situation. They could send EVERY OWNER a letter of explanation, i.e., here is what happened, here is what we are going to do to fix it, AND. . .AND! here is what we are going to do for you because we value you as a customer and we know this recall is a problem for you. Then, they could give each owner a discount on parts purchases, or an extended engine warranty, or SOMETHING!!! [:0]

This would probably mollify most of us, me included. But, to just say, well your bike will be torn apart, you'll have to wait months to get it done, yada, yada, yada . . . where is that Lemon Law???

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Patrick
very well written.
Good luck though

I agree with Darkstar, what about us with 02's
they have know about this tranny prob, for a while IMHO

Kyle

·
Registered
92 Posts
i spoke to two dealers today and thay bolth said the same thing thair are going to be two kits shiped one for the road stars and one for rswarriors the first kits will be for the stars and thay still dont have a release date for the warrior and the time expected is not 9 hrs thair clamming more like 20 hrs

1 - 20 of 116 Posts