RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Ok, here am I the proud owner of a Warrior (or 2) for nine years and 58,000 excellent miles and thought it might be useful (or hilarious) to start a thread of lessons we have learned the hard way.

1) Yesterday, I had put my forks and wheels back on my 02 which of course involves replacing the calipers too. I wanted to put it in the driveway to wash and polish so I back it out. Next thing I know it's rolling backwards down the sloped driveway....no big deal just hit the brakes. Um, ok no back brake, rolling faster, no front brake frantic pumping of levers, falling over one way to my death, frantic pumping, stamp on the ground, how do you steer a bike backwards, pumping...25ft later it stops:} Ah yes, now I remember...I hadn't pumped the brakes to seat the pads against the calipers.....

So anyway, that's my first and most recent....I invite everyone to chime in and perhaps it will end up as a sticky for learning moments:} (thanks AZ:})

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2) I are a smart man so while doing an oil change I happily put in the 3 quarts, put the dipstick back and start the engine. I swear there's a 2ft high column of oil that arcs up gracefully and covers the middle part of the bike and my garage floor. It helps to tighten the dipstck too:}:}

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course I also know better than Yamaha (right:}) and happily ignore the 30 seconds idle before checking oil level and wonder why my faithful Warrior is blowing oil all over our friends' bike riding out to California from Colorado last year......

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
My dumb move on the warrior. One day while deciding I need to raise up on the mini floor boards to let my slacks slide down from a bunched up in the crotch position I placed my foot of the rear break pedal by accident. Now try to imaginge how hard it is to stay on a bike when you are on your feet and the back brake locks and you are not expecting it. I almost went over the handle bar.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I pulled the front wheel to get it changed. When I put it back together, I knew that you should rock the front end forward a couple of times before you do the final tightening on the axle to ensure everything is seated properly. My only problem is I hadn't reattached the calipers, so when I went to push deeply into the front end, the bike just started rolling forward as I frantically pulled the brake lever to no avail. Luckily I basically just pushed it into my workbench, nothing was hurt but my pride :D

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
always remember to put your kickstand down before you get off the bike
I've forgot to do that more than a couple of times...my left ankle is still healing..!

·
Banned
1,864 Posts
always remember to put your kickstand down before you get off the bike
Engine shut down process change suggestion:

Get into this routine for stopping the bike engine this way, and only this way.

Put the kickstand down with the bike running and the bike is in first gear. This kills the engine of course.

You quickly adapt/get used to shutting the bike engine down this way and can never forget to lower the kickstand.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Put the kickstand down with the bike running and the bike is in first gear. This kills the engine of course.

You quickly adapt/get used to shutting the bike engine down this way and can never forget to lower the kickstand.
Will this trigger the COD? I've always used the key on any bike I've ridden, so never worried about COD otherwise.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts

Will this trigger the COD? I've always used the key on any bike I've ridden, so never worried about COD otherwise.
Yes. The bike has to be in neutral and shut off with the key.

Having said that, if you have stock lights then you wouldn't be susceptible to the COD and this would work just fine.

·
Banned
1,864 Posts
Yes. The bike has to be in neutral and shut off with the key.

Having said that, if you have stock lights then you wouldn't be susceptible to the COD and this would work just fine.
I thought the COD was related to turing the bike off with the handlebar mounted kill switvch not the kickstand safety switch?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Shut off method.

This shut off method also insures bike is in first gear to prevent roll when parked on a slope. BMW K1200LT's have been known to roll and fall over after they were parked in neutral, after the rider walked away. I doubt this would happen to a Warrior, but why chance it?

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
terryk ... LeaderDuece
  • No harm done if in NEUTRAL regardless of lighting configuration with or w/o kill switch/key or kick stand
My real world explanation here fwiiw: The Click of Death (COD) aka Solenoid Syndrome

ADDED: I always park in gear and remove the slack to prevent rolling :)

·
Banned
1,864 Posts
This shut off method also insures bike is in first gear to prevent roll when parked on a slope. BMW K1200LT's have been known to roll and fall over after they were parked in neutral, after the rider walked away. I doubt this would happen to a Warrior, but why chance it?
I have seen all manner of bike rolls on kickstandon a slope, where the ride either parked in the wrong direction or poorly picked a slope that was too great for the bike. Taller the bike the worse this is as an issue.My friend screwed up and dropped his bike off the stand and had the fall softened by my warriors propipe exhaust....$%$#%$&...not so bad really.

Anyway, that usually only happens once then you learn to be conservative. Same with hot and fresh asphalt....sink followed by boom, crash, sound of expensive parts getting scratched, and sound of a rider/owner tearing up.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Down shifted instead of upshifting wihilst accelerating hard out of 2nd into 1st. Almost over the bars! Rear end sliding left and right. Had factory bars and risers at the time. With my current setup I prolly would have lost it.

·
Premium Member
10,729 Posts
Down shifted instead of upshifting wihilst accelerating hard out of 2nd into 1st. Almost over the bars! Rear end sliding left and right. Had factory bars and risers at the time. With my current setup I prolly would have lost it.
Did that 2nd to 3rd to 2nd almost sh!t my pants!

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I was installing Baron's adjustable lowering links, and like a noob put the motorcycle jack so that it blocked the frame opening to remove the spring & shock. So I lower the jack to move it sideways, and of course without a spring the bike goes just as low as the jack, still can't move the jack. Except that now the shock moved so that it got caught between the jack pad and the frame... There is no way to remove it, no matter what I do. I ended up lifting the back of the bike off the jack using my 2 ton engine hoist and ratchet straps... Lol...

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
terryk ... LeaderDuece
  • No harm done if in NEUTRAL regardless of lighting configuration with or w/o kill switch/key or kick stand
My real world explanation here fwiiw: The Click of Death (COD) aka Solenoid Syndrome

ADDED: I always park in gear and remove the slack to prevent rolling :)

Aaand that's why I ALWAYS defer to AlanH. :D

But...does this mean it's possible to get the COD if you kill the bike by putting down the kickstand with the bike in gear -it's NOT in neutral.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts