RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Engine shut down process change suggestion:

Get into this routine for stopping the bike engine this way, and only this way.

Put the kickstand down with the bike running and the bike is in first gear. This kills the engine of course.

You quickly adapt/get used to shutting the bike engine down this way and can never forget to lower the kickstand.
Hey, I like that idea.

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
But...does this mean it's possible to get the COD if you kill the bike by putting down the kickstand with the bike in gear -it's NOT in neutral.
LeaderDuece .... w/o hijacking the essence of the OP i'll respond as follows: Yes, there is an Orphan Child to the COD that will cause the Speedo led back lighting to fast flash going undetected in the sun light and eventual drained battery.
I had this happen on the '07' Redwoods ride @ Crescent City, CA the 1st night. Parked the bike in 1st gear and Key-Off (not the kill-sw). The next morning several guys helped me push start my bike :eek: ... when i returned home i duplicated the shut-dwn procedure in my garage w/o the light on and discovered the syndrome and have passed on my findings to the community.
I suspect the sidestand would produce similar results but suggest you test for yourself as i haven't!

·
Banned
1,864 Posts
LeaderDuece .... w/o hijacking the essence of the OP i'll respond as follows: Yes, there is an Orphan Child to the COD that will cause the Speedo led back lighting to fast flash going undetected in the sun light and eventual drained battery.
I had this happen on the '07' Redwoods ride @ Crescent City, CA the 1st night. Parked the bike in 1st gear and Key-Off (not the kill-sw). The next morning several guys helped me push start my bike :eek: ... when i returned home i duplicated the shut-dwn procedure in my garage w/o the light on and discovered the syndrome and have passed on my findings to the community.
I suspect the sidestand would produce similar results but suggest you test for yourself as i haven't!
I stop my Warrior each and every time by using the kick stand and leaving the bike in gear. I have owned the bike for over two years and have the original batery.

I have never seen any speedo flash even in the dark of night using this method at anytime.

The bike sometimes sits a week without any ill effect.

Is this enough of a test to satisfy ?

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
I stop my Warrior each and every time by using the kick stand and leaving the bike in gear. I have owned the bike for over two years and have the original batery.

I have never seen any speedo flash even in the dark of night using this method at anytime.

The bike sometimes sits a week without any ill effect.

Is this enough of a test to satisfy ?
Do you have led lighting through-out as does this writer :confused:

·
Banned
1,864 Posts
Do you have led lighting through-out as does this writer :confused:
Oh I see, sorry.

So we are back to this.

My method for stopping the bike with the Kick stand is OK as long as you have stock or near stock lighting. I have added LED rear turn signals without casuing a problem.

If you have heavier lighting modifications, do not do this.

Fair enough ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
always remember to put your kickstand down before you get off the bike
Made this mistake over Memorial day weekend. I had parked the bike and just figured out where the handle bar lock was earlier that day, so I was messing with that, started to get off and had forgotten to put the kickstand down. The worst part was I had left knee surgery back in January and it's not completely healed. Needless to say having to hold up a 650lb bike on a less than 100% leg was not the greatest feeling. Luckily I was able to hold onto it before laying it down and got it back upright.

·
Registered
524 Posts
+however many on the making sure your kickstand is down, ripped the bolts for the controls right out of the frame, luckily was at my shop, retapped the hole all the way thru and installed longer bolts.

Buddy just spent $250 after a spark plug change, come to fine out after the plug change there was a small screw laying somewhere around the inside spark plug while changing them it fell into the cyl and when he started the bike and it was knocking BAD, ended up tearing the front cyl down and removing the screw, just some small marks, some new gaskets and she's back on the road.

Moral of the story make sure you check with a flash light or magnet there's nothing laying around the plugs, he used a air compressor to blow the dirt/small rocks off but so fare so well on the screw......

Luckily he has a buddy who works for beer and his bike was only down for a week and only paid for some new gaskets

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was installing Baron's adjustable lowering links, and like a noob put the motorcycle jack so that it blocked the frame opening to remove the spring & shock. So I lower the jack to move it sideways, and of course without a spring the bike goes just as low as the jack, still can't move the jack. Except that now the shock moved so that it got caught between the jack pad and the frame... There is no way to remove it, no matter what I do. I ended up lifting the back of the bike off the jack using my 2 ton engine hoist and ratchet straps... Lol...
That's the best one so far

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was at a busy stop light in 2007. It was a warm day in Monterey CA and there were a few cute girls next to me in a car. I had the clutch pulled in and I thought I was in neutral. I let the clutch "flick" out and off I went. Most bikes will lurch forward and die. NOT THE WARRIOR! I started pulling on the break and clutch levers hard. I screwed up and did the three finger pull on the clutch leaving my index finger trapped between the grip and clutch lever. So I kept going till I smacked the back of a 747i BMW. The bike threw me forward till I was doing a handstand and then the **** shocks recoiled and shot me in the air. I landed head first on the rear fender and then as the bike fell left I went right. I burned my arm real bad on my Pro Pipe right at the 2 in 1 section. The girls didn't even care that I just got in a wreck but the rich lady in the BMW did. Capitol F for failure and man I felt like a douche bag.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I pulled the left side plugs, put a table spoon or 2 of oil in each cylinder, then hit the starter to crank the engine over a couple times. My first experience with 4 plugs in a V twin :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Lesson learned the hard way....

Wife left out the blow dryer one morning. After completing the manscaping I got out of the shower and seen it laying on the counter. So I figured, oh **** why not. My luck she walks in to see me drying my manhood and asks, "What are you doing?!"

So naturally I responded, "warming up your breakfast" I learned a valuable lesson that day. :p

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I was at a busy stop light in 2007. It was a warm day in Monterey CA and there were a few cute girls next to me in a car. I had the clutch pulled in and I thought I was in neutral. I let the clutch "flick" out and off I went. Most bikes will lurch forward and die. NOT THE WARRIOR! I started pulling on the break and clutch levers hard. I screwed up and did the three finger pull on the clutch leaving my index finger trapped between the grip and clutch lever. So I kept going till I smacked the back of a 747i BMW. The bike threw me forward till I was doing a handstand and then the **** shocks recoiled and shot me in the air. I landed head first on the rear fender and then as the bike fell left I went right. I burned my arm real bad on my Pro Pipe right at the 2 in 1 section. The girls didn't even care that I just got in a wreck but the rich lady in the BMW did. Capitol F for failure and man I felt like a douche bag.

you want some epic with that fail? the only thing better would be having video. sounds like some **** i would do.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Engine shut down process change suggestion:

Get into this routine for stopping the bike engine this way, and only this way.

Put the kickstand down with the bike running and the bike is in first gear. This kills the engine of course.

You quickly adapt/get used to shutting the bike engine down this way and can never forget to lower the kickstand.
This is the ONLY way I shut off the bike since my first and only "No Kickstand Dismount" :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here is my Dick head play of the day.......Trying to fit a pc3 above the fuel pump..it was close but not quite fitting..so I pushed it a little harder,and hear the snap:eek:...unaware of what I had just destroyed....I finished the install then turned the key and fuel freakin gushed out like car wash sprayer.
Luckily the bike didn't catch fire.
Lesson is If the dam thing isn't fitting? There is a reason why! For the love of freedom ...DONT FORCE IT!
-CS

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have only had my warrior a few days, so I haven't had time to learn much about it the hard way. I should avoid a lot by reading here. It has 4 spark plugs? How many actually felt the cringe of pain looking at that road rash?

The flywheel came loose from the hub on my KX250, so I drilled out the rivets and bolted it back together. I did not mark the position of the hub to the center before I took it apart. I figured I had six possibilities, so I bolted it together for attempt #1. I kicked it, and it started right off. Revved up, and sounded great. Lucky me, I got it on the first try! I revved it up a little more, and popped the clutch.......... It took off BACKWARDS! There's no reverse on my dirtbike. That day I learned that a two stroke will run backwards. Since then, I've learned that some golf carts do this routinely to back up.

Scott

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
-DO NOT put a 3 foot breaker bar on a bolt that is stuck in the frame. One will break and neither are fun to fix.
-Antiseize not locktite goes on any steel that bolts into any aluminum (see #1)
-Do not over torque button head hex bolts unless you want them to never be able to be removed.
-You dont need no steeenkin AIS.
-Grip glue is made for a reason.
-Simply disconnected the horn can have nefarious affects on your motorcycle.

·
Registered
294 Posts
This made me laugh at myself last night....It was time to change oil in bike, and bike was shifting a little clunky. Did some research and got numerous recommendations to try the Rotella T oil....Spent couple of hrs changing oil, filter, installing led lights. Lowered bike down from lift, get on bike in garage and start up. **** thing stalls EVERY time I put in gear!!! Second gear doesn't engage, just grinds. After a few minutes, I get off, grab a beer to think. Sit back on bike and realize........Kick stand down :-O

21 - 40 of 74 Posts