RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
February 2, 2004



Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
Attn: Appeals
P. O. Box 6555
Cypress, CA 90630


To Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA

I am writing you regarding your recall of all 2002 and 2003 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior motorcycles. I am very unhappy with your solution to the defect in your product, i.e., my motorcycle.

I understand that your company issued the recall at the behest of the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Your company should have issued this recall voluntarily, as it deals with the safety of every person operating these vehicles as well as other innocent travelers.

Yamaha should have addressed the logistics of this situation much better than it appears they have. I have been told that the parts necessary for rectifying your manufacturing error are not yet available and that I should not operate my vehicle until it is repaired. Yet, the cost of my ownership, e.g., depreciation, insurance, etc., continues on.

Furthermore, I understand that the repairs will be made by local dealers. This fact presents more frustration and worry for the Roadstar Warrior owner: The dealer has a limited amount of staff to manage the problem, thus causing further delay in repairs; the dealers employ mechanics that, in my experience, cause as many new malfunctions as they repair – I have no confidence in either their abilities or their work ethic; and finally, the dealer's repair environment is certainly not operating under the quality control that the factory assembly line experiences.

Consequently, I cannot ride my new motorcycle for an indefinite period of time. I am going to have an engine that will no longer be factory built, but in effect, will be a rebuilt engine by a questionable mechanic. I have no warranty or assurance that my motorcycle will operate the same (sans manufacturing mistake) as before the repair work. And, I have not even received an apology from you, the manufacturer.

How many more Yamaha products do you think I am likely to consider purchasing?

I would like to offer the following changes to your company's policy on this recall. Please consider them.

1. Offer some compensation to those affected by this recall. Either direct compensation or some type of parts/service offer.

2. Give an extended warranty on the entire engine after it has been repaired.

3. As an alternative to (2), ship the entire engine back to Yamaha for repair by highly trained technicians in a clean, controlled environment.

4. As an alternative to (2) and (3), offer to exchange a new engine for the faulty one.

5. Issue an apology to each owner, stating your shortcomings and asking for forgiveness.

Basically, your company has said “we will do the minimum to cover our liability. We do not value our customers any more than how much they can pay us for their next purchase.”

I am not impressed.


One Roadstar Warrior owner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
You'll probably just get a form letter back:

"Dear Sir,
Thank-you for contacting Yamaha Corporation. Blah, blah, blah,
we appreciate your opinion, blah, blah, blah, go take a flying leap, blah, blah, blah, Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
Ya-mama-ha Corp."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,621 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Spear Warrior

...the dealers employ mechanics that, in my experience, cause as many new malfunctions as they repair – I have no confidence in either their abilities or their work ethic; and finally, the dealer's repair environment is certainly not operating under the quality control that the factory assembly line experiences.

Consequently, I cannot ride my new motorcycle for an indefinite period of time. I am going to have an engine that will no longer be factory built, but in effect, will be a rebuilt engine by a questionable mechanic. I have no warranty or assurance that my motorcycle will operate the same (sans manufacturing mistake) as before the repair work.Gosh, that hits the nail right on the head. Guess this is where having the extended warranty could be a real plus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,319 Posts
Imagine Yamaha writes back to him and says, "Sorry for your inconvience, if you would like, pick out $10,000 in Warrior accessories on us!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
quote:Originally posted by vector18

Imagine Yamaha writes back to him and says, "Sorry for your inconvience, if you would like, pick out $10,000 in Warrior accessories on us!"


Shoot if that was the case, I am sending my letter in now!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
Spear Warrior - Your letter was very well written, and I think expresses the feelings of most of us. If you don't mind, I will use parts of your letter and send one of my own. I will add that this situation causes ongoing real anxiety about the repairs and the value of the Warrior afterwards.

If there are any lawyers in our mist, I wonder if this would qualify for a class action based on the "Lemon Law".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,270 Posts
quote:Originally posted by JPWARRIOR

Blah blah blah,wahh wahh wahh the bike still runs don't it, then ride it.


you correct, keep riding it.
but does that make it RIGHT ??? NO.
They come out with a recall and no parts to do follow up on it.
Very unprofessional. Its no issue to you, your engine has already been apart.

Kyle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Really guys, most of us sooner or later are gonna take apart our bikes to soup them up, granted were not going to play with the trannys or split the cases, unless we go bigger bore (113+), and have to get the cases milled. Im not going to frown on it, if they call me this month then ill just put in the HC pistons which i have sitting on my bench, if they call me in march then ill also add the springs, and so on, i figure my bike will only be down for a week the most,the only thing thats bothering me right now is the word of the tranny so called failures on the street from the other makes and riders, and believe me my wife and i already are hearing of it and we are defending it also.I already had to give back a answer like this, well yamaha had so far one major recall since 1955, and hardley had many for the last 100 years now.That usually works ,so far?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
quote:Originally posted by DNACK

If you don't mind, I will use parts of your letter and send one of my own.
Hi DNACK. Please, by all means, send `em a letter. Use whatever you want of mine and throw the rest away. [8D]

For those who are inferring that I'm crying `bout some li`l `ol thang, well . . . tough.

I'm not looking for a way to get something for nothing. BUT, right is right and this "recall" ain't! Sure, I can "ride it like I stole it" and then when I'm in a heap by the side of the road, broken and twisted, I can brag about how {tough, independent, fearless, etc., etc.} I am! (If I'm still breathing, that is)

No, I think I'd rather have my bike be "right" from the get-go. That's what I paid for and that's what I expect. Expect little, get little. Expect more, demand more, then get more.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot, shall we? Does ANYONE think Yamaha would tell you, "hey, it's okay not to pay us for a while. We understand you made a budgeting mistake when you bought this bike, so hey, no problem." I don't think so. They WOULD say, "hey, that's your mistake. You fix it. We [Yamaha] want our money and if you don't perform like you're supposed to, then we want you to pay us more money in fees, penalties, and interest. We [Yamaha] want COMPENSATION for being inconvenienced and for the fact that your non-performance is costing us money."

Please correct me if I'm seeing this wrong. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Spear Warrior

February 2, 2004



Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
Attn: Appeals
P. O. Box 6555
Cypress, CA 90630


To Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA

I am writing you regarding your recall of all 2002 and 2003 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior motorcycles. I am very unhappy with your solution to the defect in your product, i.e., my motorcycle.

I understand that your company issued the recall at the behest of the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Your company should have issued this recall voluntarily, as it deals with the safety of every person operating these vehicles as well as other innocent travelers.

Yamaha should have addressed the logistics of this situation much better than it appears they have. I have been told that the parts necessary for rectifying your manufacturing error are not yet available and that I should not operate my vehicle until it is repaired. Yet, the cost of my ownership, e.g., depreciation, insurance, etc., continues on.

Furthermore, I understand that the repairs will be made by local dealers. This fact presents more frustration and worry for the Roadstar Warrior owner: The dealer has a limited amount of staff to manage the problem, thus causing further delay in repairs; the dealers employ mechanics that, in my experience, cause as many new malfunctions as they repair – I have no confidence in either their abilities or their work ethic; and finally, the dealer's repair environment is certainly not operating under the quality control that the factory assembly line experiences.

Consequently, I cannot ride my new motorcycle for an indefinite period of time. I am going to have an engine that will no longer be factory built, but in effect, will be a rebuilt engine by a questionable mechanic. I have no warranty or assurance that my motorcycle will operate the same (sans manufacturing mistake) as before the repair work. And, I have not even received an apology from you, the manufacturer.

How many more Yamaha products do you think I am likely to consider purchasing?

I would like to offer the following changes to your company's policy on this recall. Please consider them.

1. Offer some compensation to those affected by this recall. Either direct compensation or some type of parts/service offer.

2. Give an extended warranty on the entire engine after it has been repaired.

3. As an alternative to (2), ship the entire engine back to Yamaha for repair by highly trained technicians in a clean, controlled environment.

4. As an alternative to (2) and (3), offer to exchange a new engine for the faulty one.

5. Issue an apology to each owner, stating your shortcomings and asking for forgiveness.

Basically, your company has said “we will do the minimum to cover our liability. We do not value our customers any more than how much they can pay us for their next purchase.”

I am not impressed.


One Roadstar Warrior owner

Im not a BIKE tech by trade, but I have been officially recognized by a major auto manufacturer as one of the very few top techs in this five state area (first place last year). The reason I state this, is that I hope there arent any bike techs reading this thread(the idea that you assume they are all ignorant, is an idea born of ignorance itself). Some of us lowly mechanics have spent our lives in school, perfecting our craft to the point of becoming engineers, only to have people group us into a class of idiots that cant do anything right! Dont even get me started on the comment about ethics! I WILL NEVER sign my name to such an insulting, poorly written excuse for correspondence. If my response offends you in any way, I guess were even. If you consider my response to be harsh, why dont you print your ill written letter and bring it to your local bike tech, and await his or her response!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
This is getting ugly! I feel for you guys who are on the recall list, but I've noticed that the initial jubilation with the prospect of accompanying mods has faded into anger and resentment. How quickly things change. I don't hear Harley guys complaining this loudly about the company that builds their bikes and they've more reasons to complain!

At least it's happening during Winter!

Easy for me to say, I know. I'm not on the recall list! /emoticons/emotion-1.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
quote:Originally posted by ELVISWARRIOR

Originally posted by Spear Warrior

The reason I state this, is that I hope there arent any bike techs reading this thread(the idea that you assume they are all ignorant, is an idea born of ignorance itself). Some of us lowly mechanics have spent our lives in school . . .

Hello ELVISWARRIOR!

Just to clarify one point: I DO NOT think professional mechanics are ignorant. My brother would kill me if I said that to him. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] He's been to more schools than I have (Certified ASE Master Mechanic & trained in all HVAC, to boot!).

Oh, by the way, you have a Private Message.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Spear Warrior,

I am with you, this is exactly the way I feel. My wife and seven year old love to ride also. It's easy for some to say ride on !!
That might be okay as long as I am risking my own life, but not theres. I have a friend that had a rear wheel lock up. He and his girlfriend were going less than 45 mph. They were both thrown off and the car following ran over him. He now has part of one arm and part of one leg and in a wheelchair. I think something more should be done than is being done.
 
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Top