RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get rid of the stock license plate mount so after a few days of looking of what’s already available for the bike, I decided to try to make my own. I used some Aluminum that I found in the garage and just traced and cut out the shape that I wanted. Then I used a piece of Steel and a vice clamp to bend it. Afterwards, I covered the gap of the original mounting with a strip of expanded metal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would invest into the one that bolts to the rear axel nut gives you more clearance and if that is just aluminum that won't hold up too well.

Looks good for custom fab quick job though.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
It's the angle of Camera..
I've been trying to get my side plate to touch pavement, but guess I'm not Pushing it hard enough
Mine is a JD design side mount

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,724 Posts
because of teh xonstant vibration on the swingarm unfortunately like others have mentioned I don't think your bracket will last very long and you may lose your plate all together. Also if you iontend to ride at night you will require lights to light up the plate. If you still have the Y bracket that holds the stock muffler in place and it looks like you do you can fabricate an easy bracket that attaches to the end f the "y" bracket. There is less vibration there and it is easy to route your ;license plate light wires from there. Here is one example of the way I did it at one time

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If that’s just aluminum, it will crack and break pretty quickly.
Considering that its not subject to any kind of loading, what do you think is going to make it crack and break? Vibration is the only thing that I could think of ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would invest into the one that bolts to the rear axel nut gives you more clearance and if that is just aluminum that won't hold up too well.

Looks good for custom fab quick job though.
Well here’s another picture, there’s about 6” of clearance with the bike on the stand. The ones that bolt onto the rear axel are nice too, I thought about doing it that way but I was out of argon for welding so I had to use bending. Maybe I will attempt another configuration in the future if this seems to not hold up well, but so far so good

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My vote is five miles to plate touching down and disappearing. At least that appears to impede available lean angle. Or it it just the camera?
Haha I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened, just my luck!! I posted another picture with the clearance if you’re interested in taking a look

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
because of teh xonstant vibration on the swingarm unfortunately like others have mentioned I don't think your bracket will last very long and you may lose your plate all together. Also if you iontend to ride at night you will require lights to light up the plate. If you still have the Y bracket that holds the stock muffler in place and it looks like you do you can fabricate an easy bracket that attaches to the end f the "y" bracket. There is less vibration there and it is easy to route your ;license plate light wires from there. Here is one example of the way I did it at one time View attachment 248762
So the constant vibration in the swingarm makes sense for something to be worried about. I have a slip on and I can’t tell if I still have the Y bracket or not haha. Its probably a relatively low and constant vibrational force acting on it though, right? Maybe I could use rubber washers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well here’s another picture, there’s about 6” of clearance with the bike on the stand. The ones that bolt onto the rear axel are nice too, I thought about doing it that way but I was out of argon for welding so I had to use bending. Maybe I will attempt another configuration in the future if this seems to not hold up well, but so far so good View attachment 248766
ah plenty of room the first picture threw me off I'd only be worried about the vibration then.
I don't think you'll have issues tbh.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
Considering that its not subject to any kind of loading, what do you think is going to make it crack and break? Vibration is the only thing that I could think of ..
I made one out of aluminum once. It didn’t last long due to the vibration.

BTW, if you ever run during hours of lI tied visibility, you will need to add lights to it.

·
Administrator
28,385 Posts
My rider pegs are almost 8" off the ground with bike upright and they scrape nicely in fun twisties. Further back the lean impact is a bit less.

As your bike leans left the bottom left corner of the plate will quickly drop nearer the pavement than the chain guard etc due to more distance from tire centerline. Maybe about same as 2-2 exhausts in rights.

From your added pic its better than it looked, but its sure seeming to be right at the pavement in any typical fun respectable left twistie.

Hoping for the best brother!

·
Premium Member
7,724 Posts
So the constant vibration in the swingarm makes sense for something to be worried about. I have a slip on and I can’t tell if I still have the Y bracket or not haha. Its probably a relatively low and constant vibrational force acting on it though, right? Maybe I could use rubber washers
Also since you bent the aluminum it has created weakness in the bend. I had a mount that i bought off the internet which was made of steel. It looked very solid and I had it mounted to my swingarm (an earlier bike) . There were no bends and the bracket was made with a piece of steel angle welded to the backing plate on one side and then drilled on the other side to allow a bolt to mount it to the bike. After around a year the angle snapped which left ,y license plate dragging on the ground by the wires. Luckily someone following me signaled me to stop and I did not lose the plate. ever since then I have mounted my side mounts to the frame of the bike where it does not move.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Me personally I would also bend a small strip of steel or aluminum and replace that expanded metal with a strip of black painted steel. Just me.

Ingenious none the less.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts