RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the rare occasion that the links actually work, why does it take you out of RSW to the linked webpage? I'd MUCH rather it simply open a new window or tab.....kicking me out of RSW is a royal pain in the a$$.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Yeah I noticed that too and thought I had set something wrong on my browser. I was just waiting till maybe I screwed with something and it changed. Didn't know it was from the new site.

·
Administrator
28,357 Posts
I wonder if your browser setting is doing that. You know what I mean? The 'open in a new window' setting option.

Also, the guys are working ntheir tails off to be sure links from the old forum work here. Join in and let 'em know if a specific link isn't working. You can PM the person who wrote the post, or a moderator. Its a helpful usually friendly place.

BHW said:
On the rare occasion that the links actually work, why does it take you out of RSW to the linked webpage? I'd MUCH rather it simply open a new window or tab.....kicking me out of RSW is a royal pain in the a$$.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
This is NOT the fault of the forumsoftware but the poster of the link.

If you post a link than you have to select that link again, when you have selected the link then a new icon highlights itself ( Like a shackle ), when the poster clicks on this icon he has to put in the link once again to make it "clickabble" he and he alone has the choice between:

when clicked open in this window or / when clicked open in new tab or window.

So nobody is at fault except the poster of the link.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You completely lost me.

If there is a link in a post, any post, and I click it, I am not longer inside of RSW. This is not my browser setting, no other forum does this. I haven't clicked a link here yet that doesn't do it. Me no comprende the explaination given........????????????

Honestly, it's gotten frustrating enough that when it happens, I just go on to something else and don't come back to RSW......

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RobRiguez said:
Or, you can simply Rght-click on the link and select "Open in new window" or "Open in new Tab".

My point being, "why should I have to"?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
BHW said:
This is not my browser setting, no other forum does this. I haven't clicked a link here yet that doesn't do it.

There are links in this topic alone that open in their own window for me so you might rethink the idea that it's not your settings or browser. What the other poster was trying to explain is that when each of us makes a post and uses the Insert/Edit Link button to add a link we have the option to have our link open a new window or move the reader from RSW to the linked website so it is possible that in one topic a link would do this but not in another.

Other forums you use may not give the option and therefore have all links open in a new window/tab like you want. If you can't click on any link here without that problem then I'd double check your browser settings because that's not the norm. I agree with you that it can be a pain to be moved off a page in those cases where the new site blocks your return using the back button so you might want to just ask Carknee to disable that option if possible and have all links open a new page. Well over 99% of the time it doesn't matter to me because my mouse has forward and back buttons anyway so I do it without thinking or looking but I don't get why anyone would want it the other way either.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
The reason you have to, is because the original poster has the option to have the link open in a new window, or in the current window (thus taking you away from rswarrior.com.). I think it's because members don't know about this option, or understand it, and just choose the first option - opening in current window. I almost think it would be better not to give members a choice, and just open a new window by default.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
I agree with Heath. On the old site and every other forum I participate on I can type:

http://www.blah.com/coolpic.jpg

and it will automatically "be" a link that someone can click on. And when they click on it, it opens a new window. But whatever. It's not like any of us HAVE to pay to participate on this forum. But still, we should probably speak our mind and say what bugs us about it.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Shag said:
I agree with Heath. On the old site and every other forum I participate on I can type:

http://www.blah.com/coolpic.jpg

and it will automatically "be" a link that someone can click on. And when they click on it, it opens a new window. But whatever. It's not like any of us HAVE to pay to participate on this forum. But still, we should probably speak our mind and say what bugs us about it.

I fixed your link so that it opens in it's own window. Stevo was trying to explain how to do this, it's all in how you post it. No it's not automatic, but it can be done. But if the original poster doesn't actually make that line a link by clicking on the link button while composing the post (or if I happen to wander by and fix it), then it will just be like any other line of type.

Since your link was a made up one, here is a real link to show you it works.

http://sangathor.com/photos/warrior/images/87/original.aspx

Or you can take it a step further and not even display the link and make some normal text a clickable link like this:

Smoke a Fatty

Maybe Carknee can make opening links in a new window the default setting, maybe he can't. If you want him to consider it, you will have to ask in the new forum feature requests topic.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Okay maybe i was not completely clear.

Here ar 3 examples of the same link
Me and me alone can decide how they work. Me being the poster of the links.

http://rswarrior.com/Default.aspxthis one will take you away from the forum

http://rswarrior.com/Default.aspxthis one will open in a new window

http://rswarrior.com/Default.aspxthis one will also open a new window but is actualy the same as above i only re-named it. Edit : hmm... that didn't work!
Sangathor it seems i do the link renaming wrong, it is just giving the link a new name in the " title" box right?

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Stevo said:
http://rswarrior.com/Default.aspxthis one will also open a new window but is actualy the same as above i only re-named it. Edit : hmm... that didn't work!
Sangathor it seems i do the link renaming wrong, it is just giving the link a new name in the " title" box right?

No just type any text in your post, then highlight it and select the link icon. Then paste your url in there. It will assign that link to whatever words you highlighted

·
Administrator
28,357 Posts
Also, does your browser support Tabs? If not, since the original posting person can dictate how something is displayed, maybe consider upgrading to a browser with tabs.

BHW said:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts