RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
If it's that easy, I guess we should all be on the phone with our local news people to get the problem fixed. I sent the author an email:

Hi Bill, I just read an article about how you helped a guy with a Warrior to get the parts he needed. Although I can't say that it is my primary means of transportation, I can say that I am currently paying $300/month (between loan and insurance) to see my bike sit in the garage. In addition, I just invested another $8400 in my motorcycle in effort to customize it. Now I have to trust some dealership to completely dismantle my bike and reassemble it without out causing any future problems or damage to the customizing I've done. I think this whole situation is terrible in that Yamaha does not seem to be taking this situation as any type of priority. They are not even willing to offer any kind of compensation for the problems and downtime it has caused people. I know that because of this, people are losing their confidence in Yamaha and are spreading the word about their disability to support their products. The longer the problem persists, the more damage done to Yamaha Corp.

I am a member of RSWARRIOR.COM which is a Yamaha Warrior Forum. There are thousands of people on the website who are all experiencing the same problems if not worse. Nobody seems to be making any grounds with Yamaha on resolving this situation sooner. Yamaha can't even gaurentee a date for the kits to be released and shipped. People are expecting it to be months before they could ride their motorcycles again. Waiting for the replacement kit to arrive is one problem, people being on lists that are 30-40 people long, is another. Because of this, there is much debate going on about possible class-action law suits forming against Yamaha. All we are asking is that our bikes get fixed properly in some timely fashion with some kind of additional warranty to follow. The resale of motorcycles is bad enough as it is, throw in the fact you have a rebuilt motor instead a new one, and that doesn't help to much. Both myself and the members of RSWARRIOR.COM would appreciate any help you could provide in resolving this recall. Feel free to contact me if needed.

Thank You

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
(from the article) "And, Yamaha wants to here from you if you are affected."

Affected in what way?

Next time it's 70-degrees, sunny and some guy blows through the neighborhood on his H/D with a Marlboro hanging out of his mouth as I am washing my car, weeding, or painting my phuckking mailbox because my bike is in the shop, should I call Yamaha for some solace, sympathy, encouragement, assurance, relief?

Pardon me while I wipe myself.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sent the author this email. Will share the response.

"Dear Mr. Gephardt,

Are you aware of a similar type of consumer advocate in the San Francisco Bay Area? How about one that is national?

I am an affected Yamaha rider, and am being told that there are no parts available by Yamaha Customer Relations, in Cypress, CA.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Best regards!

Patrick M. Bouquet "

·
Registered
176 Posts
Got this from Utah:

Patrick-

Try talking to Michael Finney at Channel 7 in S.F......you can learn more about him athttp://www.kgo.com

Jennifer Dahl
2 News Executive Producer
299 South Main Street
Suite 150
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Then, sent this to Michael Finney:

I own a brand new vehicle that, because of a safety recall, has been unusable for the past two months.

A recall is common, but, here's what's not so common: there are no parts available for the repair, and no one knows when someone might get around to getting my vehicle back on the road.

I bought a brand new Yamaha "Road Star Warrior" 1700cc motorcycle last June and use it for my everyday transportation. But now, it is being held at a dealer (per Yamaha corporate policy) and won't be usable, or, returned to me, until the recall work has been done.

I brought my bike in for its scheduled service at the first of January. The dealer then informed me of the recall, and informed me that I could not take my bike home. Yamaha finally sent a a recall letter to me on 31 Jan, stating that I could not ride my bike any longer, even if I did have possession.

This recall letter says there's a transmission problem in various models of 2001, 2002, and 2003 Yamahas--including mine, and, that they should not be ridden because "serious injury or death" could result from the defect.

Yamaha corporate customer relations (Customer Relations (800) 962-7926; Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA 6555 Katella Avenue, Cypress, CA 90630)
will not give me a definite answer as to when the parts will come in, and when I can ride my bike again.

I call Yamaha every few days. They say to be patient but they wouldn't say for how long. They say that they do not know when Japan will be sending the parts.

The recall affects Yamaha Road Stars and Road Star Warriors, about 30,000 motorcycles in the US.

Can you help? I have studied the Song-Beverly Consumer Protect Act, and the Tanner Act, and am sure that this matter qualifies as a lemon law situation. What can I do?

Thank you.

Will send the same to Clark Howard.

Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
August 2003. Recall campaign iniated. Ya know, with the issue of promptness to rectify the situation as stipulated by the NHTSA is it perhaps odd or some sort of careless disregard for humans by Yamaha, that as late as 20Jan2004, when I purchased my bike new from a dealer; that dealer apparently did not know about this potentially lethal issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts