RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of you out there either ride sportbike's or have ridden them before owning the Warrior? I'm looking into getting one, but don't know whether to push the limit with a 1000 or sticj to a 600. I'm 5'11", 200# and love to ride this bike and won't give it up, but I'm looking for more agility and speed in the twisties. I was checking out the gsxr-1 and the R1 and have heard pro's and con's to each. Just want to know what you guys think!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have ridden sport bikes before and they are a blast! Different from the Warrior, but both are lots of fun. I will be getting a Hayabusa before the end of the year. The Bus is the only one I am considering, but any of the top sport bikes are awsome machines and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Just a matter of personal taste, after looking which one do you like best? As far as size, same thing. But remember, how much power you use at any given moment is up to the rider. If you want bigger, get bigger.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far I've ridden the R1, the gsxr-1000 and the cbr954rr. As far as comfort and fit, the Suzuki wins hands down. Now, I didn't get any of them above 4500 rpm's, so I can't say anymore about them. From what I've read and heard, the Suzuki is a lot of bike. Something like 152bhp to the rear wheel. I may kill myself on that one... well perhaps any of them!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have had a Ducati Monster 900s, Triumph Speed Triple, and Buells. The Triumph Speed Triple is continually high on all the shootouts and is my favorate bike. The Buells are good and can be found used for a good deal with low miles. I would stay away from Ducs. Too expensive for what you get. ONE of the best buys for a new bike is a Suzuki SV650. It is around 5500 new and is a light, quick bike that is fun and can really keep up with the 1000cc bikes in the corners and twisties. You don't see many used ones. People hold on to them. So...there you go. My 2 cents. I love sportbikes. But the warrior is a keeper.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I ride the 600 class bikes faster than the open class in the twisties - same goes for the dirt, I'm faster on a 125 than the 250.

If I was adding a sportbike and watching a budget, I'd hit the used market for a nude Suzuki Bandit 1200. Save a bundle on the $$$, and put the rest of the money into Mr.Turbo's kit for the bike. What a hoot!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
If you want a true sport bike you can't go wrong with a GSXR... I had a GSXR 1100 about 10 years ago for 3 years and that thing was the shiznit. I read in a Motorcycle Mag once that it had a mid-range that hit like a quarterback's worst nightmare, and revved til dawn... The thing couldn't be touched in the Hp department with pipes and other bolt on mods, **** it was super fast stock. The dealer also told me with Metzler's for it (back in the day...) it had an unlimited banking radius. Of course I told him b.s., the banking stops at the pegs.

Anyway, I've also ridden FJ1200's, and R-1, R-6, K1100RS, ZX-10, ZX-11... The Suzuki kicks the sh($%t out of all of them... hands down...

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
If I could have a second bike it would definitly be a 600cc sport bike. Very few people out there can reach the full potential of a modern sport bike. A couple of weeks back at the track in Calgary (small track) Bikes number 1 and 2 were 600's by a full back stretch #3 was an 03 GSX 1000. Yeah the gixxer has 152hp but how many of us can use it in the twistys. It will accelerate like the hand of God and scare the carp out of most sane people, but the average weekend warrior (sorry) is going to get a lot more bang for there buck, and probably higher cornering speed out of a 100+ horse light nimble 600RRsumthin. In my own very humble opine.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I have 02' Bandit 1200 w/jet kit, timing advancer and pipe also. Not quite a sport bike but Hooligan style. Both have there high points. But the Warrior gets more respect and looks in traffic.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Your choices are sooooo open you should have great fun picking something out. =) Personally the GSXR100 is over the top for me. Just too much HP on tap and there is no one who can use that power on the street. The track? Maybe, but I'd rather have the 750 myself. It would be easier to work with. If this is your first racebike, do yourself a big favor and pass on the those bikes. They really can go from "Weeeeee!" to "wooooooshiiiiiite!" in the blink of an eye.

Your a big guy though, so a 600 might feel a bit tiny for you, but only you know what you like. Just remember, the current crop of 600s can push 160mph right out of the box. If that isn't fast I don't know what is. Plus you cant beat the price. Give me a new R6, plop on some magnesium wheels and rework the forks and nothing could touch it, and I'd still not have to spend a mint.

I'd tell you to take a look at the VTR1000 (Honda's 996 Hawk V-twin), or Suzuki's SV line of twins. These are bigger, grunty, great handling bikes that can hold their own on any given road. Other great options are Aprilia's Tuano (spelling) street fighter bike, or Triumph's Speed Triple. Heck, BMW's R1100S (Boxer Cup) bikes are almost the perfect sporting roadbike. choices choices...

Pass on the Buells, every owner I know cant wait to sell what they have or is bitching how the motor or other parts keep breaking (I cant speak for the new models though. They sure are pretty, though that piece of ****e motor has to go.)

If you have the $$$ Ducatis are great bikes, and I've never riden anything that comes close to them in the handling department. My pick would be the new 749s. yum. The aircooled motors are down on power, but up on sound. Nothing sounds better than a 90 degree V-twin.

In the end get what does it for ya. But if it's the HP numbers and other stats that float your boat, I think you'ld be missing out on some great bikes. I cant name the number of 120+ hp superbikes, I've left in the dust on my old 50hp single, supermotard or MuZ skorpion.

Good luck kicking tires, and whatever you do, buy a full set of leathers. Don't be a squid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am also 5'11",205#. I have an 03 zx12r that is still not fully broken in, along with the warrior. All I can say about this bike is hang on tight. It wasn't badly priced either $8,900 on sale. 10.40 @ 140mph in the quarter mile in stock form. They have a website like this oneif you would like to read more.http//www.zx-12r.org/ And have fun choosing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The time slip is not from me but is posted on that site. As once the bike is broken in all the way I will be looking forward to seeing those myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have ridden about every size sport bike out there and the fun of the 600's is there cornering, BUT there is no replacing that unbelievable feeling of coming out of a corner and twisting a handful of a full liter machine and having the front end claw straight up to the sky on my last gsxr 1100 i could kepp the front wheel straight up through 3 gears it was awsome. And you dont need to clutch it to get it in the air just twist. Have fun tommc282

·
Registered
104 Posts
First decide what type of sport bike you want. 600's are a little more agile than 1000's but really not by that much, there is now very little weight difference between them. Myself, I dont think I would like a 600 because they have relatively little low and mid range torque and if you want to go fast you have to keep them screaming around 10,000 rpm. It's not twist and go, it's downshift 2 or 3 gears, then twist and go. If you want maximun performance, a 1000 or more inline 4 is the way to go. Don't be put off by a bike that seems too fast, like the GSXR 1000, because what seems too fast for the first 3 months of ownership soon enough begins to seem not fast enough. You get habituated to it and WILL eventualy want more. If you want speed with a little charater and charisma, then one of the 1000 twins, honda, suzuki, ducati, or perhaps a triumph triple might be more to your taste. I'd decide what catagory of bike you want, then ask opinions and info on the models in that catagory. No one can really advise you what catagory is best for you but you. It depends on your taste.[?]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another bike worth checking out is the Honda VFR. It doesn't quite have the performance of the all-out sport bikes but is sooo much more comfortable on longer rides and is a great all around ride. If all you want is pure HP, this is not the bike for you.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
quote:Originally posted by tommc282

I have ridden about every size sport bike out there and the fun of the 600's is there cornering, BUT there is no replacing that unbelievable feeling of coming out of a corner and twisting a handful of a full liter machine and having the front end claw straight up to the sky on my last gsxr 1100 i could kepp the front wheel straight up through 3 gears it was awsome. And you dont need to clutch it to get it in the air just twist. Have fun tommc282

**** how I miss those days...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
So many choices. Let me throw out a slightly different possibility. I've done multiple sport bikes, mostly honda and suzuki, but my current other bike is a Suzuki DL-1000 (vstrom).
I can do long distance travels on it. Take the hardbags off and it will easily ride with the 600's and 1000's in the mountains. Take a look at the [email protected] group to see a bunch of owners that are as wildly passionate about their bikes as we are about the warriors.
Of course, I went this path because I got tired of being really bent over and not being able to stand riding more that 100 miles on the rockets.
YMMV.

·
Registered
41 Posts
With this being a Yamaha website, I am suprised that soo many people are calling the GSXR1000 the hands down barney bike. I own an R-1 and have ridden every **** bike out there (I think) and the closeness in performance between the R1, GSXR1K and CBR954RR is nil. It is all rider in these liter bikes. The R1 is the sexy bitch though! The GSXR has a face only a mother could love. The CBR is super trick, but is the slower of the 3 and has headshake problems that are far more noticable than the R1... Just my .02's

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really appreciate everyone's input... it is actually somewhat comforting reading all of the different opinions, in that it seems hard for me to go wrong no matter what I choose. I'm going to try out a few more, 600's et al. I'll let you guys know what I get! Thanks again.

John

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
grab a 2000+ GSXR750. the power is excellent, the handling is superb and the fit/comfort will accomodate you just fine.

i liked my 02 Gix750 over my 99 R1 (140.1rwhp) due to the power delivery, the awesome wind protection and the comfort.

the Gix is the bike to have.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts