RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to order the OEM air filter but seems Yamaha does not make them anymore or whoever made them for Yamaha does not make them any more. Looks like that situation is the same with the K&N airfilter...cannot get them anymore from K&N in South Africa and they told me that they cannot get any more from their head office either. So now I cannot ride my bike anymore unless I get the V-bak system whih I am not going to do so looks like I will have to break up my warrior and sell it as parts or try and sell the obsolete Warrior to someone. :(

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
There are a bunch on Ebay, Amazon and other sites as well. The K&N is still available all over the place. The problem might be South Africa and where you are buying from. I am sure some of these sites will ship overseas.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya Hefty yes I see K&N USA has stock at USD 79-99 but for shipping to South Africa they want to charge me almost 350 USD

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
When it comes to ordering OEM stuff I usually get it from Partzilla. I am pretty sure they ship international.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When it comes to ordering OEM stuff I usually get it from Partzilla. I am pretty sure they ship international.
I tried them already...they told me because of Covid they cannot currently ship to SA

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about from Australia?
Just checking with E-bay...I can have it shipped from the USA via E-bay at a cost of USD 173-75...I might go that route...never bought anything via E-bay from overseas...just googling peoples experiences in this regard before I take the plunge

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'd do a DIY BAK with the tubes from the stock airbox and find filters that fit them. Should be pretty easy

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'd do a DIY BAK with the tubes from the stock airbox and find filters that fit them. Should be pretty easy
This Do It Yourself BAK...Will I not have to worry about resetting any sensors or ECU's or such? Just completely 100% straightforward swop as you say and easy peasy?
Just checked this forum and found how to do it but it does not seem so easy peasy and seems frought with all kinds of issues and problems to do it right

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I will admit that I haven't done a BAK mod yet. I purchased Churchkey's kit last year and have plans to do it soon. There will definitely be a little investigation and ingenuity needed to execute this but it's not enough to consider selling your bike over. And of course, there is a wealth of knowledge on this site with many knowledgeable guys here that can guide you on any challenges you come across.

I'd start with just working up a basic list of parts and seeing what you can get. Start piecing the kit together over the next few months and then one weekend, knock it out.

I'm hoping to do my VBAK install in the next month or two, during which time I'll be taking photos and shooting video to help improve on the information that's already on here. Hopefully during that process, I can help do an investigation on anything you may have questions on for when you do yours.

Just some thoughts to encourage you to stay on your Warrior. It may not be worth it to you but everyone I've ever talked to, unless they were radically changing riding styles, always wants to go back to their Warrior after they let it go. I know a day will come when getting parts will be next to impossible and it'll be unavoidable that bikes will be laid to rest, but it's too soon to talk that way now.

·
Registered
Yamaha XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
721 Posts
what kinda right side cover do ya have?
if you have the speedstar cover i may be able to sort ya out.. got a set of K&N's lying around that fit the speedstar cover and stock undertank airbox
(i went with VBAK)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
what kinda right side cover do ya have?
if you have the speedstar cover i may be able to sort ya out.. got a set of K&N's lying around that fit the speedstar cover and stock undertank airbox
(i went with VBAK)
I have the stock standard airbox under the fuel tank and on the right side the stock "coffin" cover. Bike is totally stock.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had both ome and kn both like new in boxes if ur intrested
I would be but I think the shipping costs would be far higher then what the two filters cost. I am currently deciding to buy a set of K&N's from either e-bay or amazon. From E-bay total cost including shipping will be USD 175. Also e-bay and amazon include all the customs and excise charges that get levied in South Africa

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Might be an option to fit one of these...apparently very simple to do and looks good and I believe they can be fitted with a K&N filter and then also a K&N airfilter under the tank. Or perhaps instead of this spiked aircleaner a Speedstar filter for the rightside and a speedstar scoop on the leftside. That would look nicely balanced I think. Is the speedstar scoop on the leftside just for cosmetic looks or does it have an airfilter inside? If so how does that airfilter then connect to the throttle body? with a snorkel hose of some kind or what? And does it do away with the stock airbox then?

spike.jpg

·
Registered
921 Posts
Just checking with E-bay...I can have it shipped from the USA via E-bay at a cost of USD 173-75...I might go that route...never bought anything via E-bay from overseas...just googling peoples experiences in this regard before I take the plunge
Fish, what filters are you after. Ones for the throttle bodies or the square one for the standard under tank filter? 😎😎🐝

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fish, what filters are you after. Ones for the throttle bodies or the square one for the standard under tank filter? 😎😎🐝
Hiya Stryder...man I'm not sure really...you see my bike is stock standard so I was thinking of getting the K&N YA-1602 filter set. But I have been thinking of maybe doing the DIY BAK and I have been pointed to Bryans video on how to do it but I hesitate coz do I really want to start ripping things out and maybe just creating more problems for myself or should I just play safe and stick with my original plan to get the K&N's and keep the old stock airbox intact. It's not as if I'm looking to get more performance...bike has enough power for me as it is. Only benefit for me would be that the DIY BAK would make access to the sparkplugs especially plug 4 on the right side of the front cylinder easier to get to. But then again there is a tutorial/instruction here on this forum somewhere where it explains how to get to that plug without too much trouble with the stock airbox not even having to be removed.

·
Administrator
29,480 Posts
The K&N YA-1602 air filter set does NOT improve air flow. It does allow you to clean and oil the air filter elements so you no longer have trouble finding air filter elements. But you need to find the clean-and-oil kits over time.

So its up to what you are after.

The spike air filter kit is also just for looks. It does NOT increase air flow. And it also needs either replacement paper filter elements or k&n's and of course the clean-and-oil kit.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The K&N YA-1602 air filter set does NOT improve air flow. It does allow you to clean and oil the air filter elements so you no longer have trouble finding air filter elements. But you need to find the clean-and-oil kits over time.

So its up to what you are after.

The spike air filter kit is also just for looks. It does NOT increase air flow. And it also needs either replacement paper filter elements or k&n's and of course the clean-and-oil kit.
AW...I know that.........Like I said in my reply to Stryder just above this message....Quote "It's not as if I'm looking to get more performance...bike has enough power for me as it is. "Unquote
Stryder1956 said:
Hiya Stryder...man I'm not sure really...you see my bike is stock standard so I was thinking of getting the K&N YA-1602 filter set. But I have been thinking of maybe doing the DIY BAK and I have been pointed to Bryans video on how to do it but I hesitate coz do I really want to start ripping things out and maybe just creating more problems for myself or should I just play safe and stick with my original plan to get the K&N's and keep the old stock airbox intact. It's not as if I'm looking to get more performance...bike has enough power for me as it is. Only benefit for me would be that the DIY BAK would make access to the sparkplugs especially plug 4 on the right side of the front cylinder easier to get to. But then again there is a tutorial/instruction here on this forum somewhere where it explains how to get to that plug without too much trouble with the stock airbox not even having to be removed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts