RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I waswiping out the oil pan this morning before puting it away and guess what i found? These!

They sure look an awful lot like gear teeth. Anyone had anything like this before? Mine is 2003 with about 17k on it.
I haven't noticed anything wrong and have had no problems at all.

I checked with a dealership on my recalls and the previous owner had them doneso that's probably not an option. Looks like I'll be tearing into the cases this winter.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I was thinkingif it were me I would cut the fliter and see what's in there.Might have some better clues. But then she is making metal..and that is never good except if U have caught it early U may have saved some money.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Have I got this straight? You recently changed your oil and while cleaning ou the drain pan you found these pieces of metal? Is there any possibility of them coming from another source? I'm thinking if you are sure they came from your bike, don't ride it until you have found and fixed the problem. a chunk of gear between two gears could lock the rear wheel. We don't want that.

Take care my friend.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DarkStar said:
Remind me not to wipe out my oil pan any time soon.

Ed,
Even though this is somewhat disheartening, you brought some laughter to the situation. Do you know of any write-ups about removing the engine and splitting the cases?

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jabo said:
Have I got this straight? You recently changed your oil and while cleaning ou the drain pan you found these pieces of metal? Is there any possibility of them coming from another source? I'm thinking if you are sure they came from your bike, don't ride it until you have found and fixed the problem. a chunk of gear between two gears could lock the rear wheel. We don't want that.

Take care my friend.
No that's only partially correct. I was cleaning out my garage and placing everything back when I noticed that there was still a little oil in my drain pan, so I wiped it out and found these.

The last time I changed oil was May so it had to be from that change. I had it changed again since then by a local dealer when I had an insurance claim after a flood (which damaged nothing on the bike because the water was extremely low). I've been riding all season with no problems so I doubt there is anything in there that will cause another one. I definitely want to get into it and check everything.

Thanks for the heads-up.

PS: It may be time for some internal mods!

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Engine out? (with even more pics) - Roadie 5th gear by 3youngns

Pep said:
............ Do you know of any write-ups about removing the engine and splitting the cases?
Here's something that comes to mind from Chris aka
3youngns

Engine out? (with even more pics)http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/24683/284575.aspx#284575 Roadie 5th gear.http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/24039/283931.aspx#283931

Are the 2-pcs you found magnetic? The LH photo appears to be hollowed out and not solid as would be a tooth?

You need to insert a scale or ruler into the photo for perspective!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Yes, I'd like to see a reference next to those pieces.Are they small enough to glide right through the drain hole?

·
Registered
578 Posts
i second cutting the oil filter open before i'd tear into the engine, you've been riding for months now with no problems. according to the size of those pieces something should've happened by now.

tear the oil filter open and do a leakdown on the cyl's to start.

Course if you are anything like me you won't be able to sleep until you either find where they came from or ck everything to make sure you're ok.

·
Registered
578 Posts
i guess i am having a hard time believing they are out of the warrior from all those months ago and the bike is still going.

crap, now i won't be able to sleep trying to figure out what you got going on.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The pieces in the picture look huge. The drainin the engine and the oil tank is pretty small. That means these pieces must be much smaller than the drains. Otherwise they'd more than likely get lodged in the drain while draining rather than flowing right out with the oil. So let me get this straight. You don't use your drain plan to drain oil out of anything else? If your sure that those pieces came out of the warrior beyond a shadow of a doubt, I'd say you have a serious problem. I'm very surprised that you haven't experienced symptomslike an unsual noise or something. I would like to know how big those pieces are.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I think it's more likely that the chunks came from something other that the warrior. Like the shelf above where the oil pan was stored or some debris from a different project. It's been 5 months sitting there, so the crime scene could easily been contaminated by a child, a wife, or a friend with a sick sense of humor. I'd do another oil change with atotally clean pan, check the oil filter and everything, before tearing into the bike. If those pieces came from the bike, then there would have to be more. Further forensic investigation is needed before drastic surgery is prescribed.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Duke,

I gotta agree with the optimists here that the suspect pieces of metal came from a different source other than the warrior. An autopsy of the oil filter isn't a bad idea for more clues and wouldn't hurt.... I too would like to know how large the chunks that you found are....

The left chunk looks like there was a cut that was started on the bottom right edge. I'd be intereseted in seeing the other side of those pieces. Could it have been some debris from some dremel or jig saw work that somehow got onto the oil pan?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Scoper50 said:
The pieces in the picture look huge. The drainin the engine and the oil tank is pretty small. That means these pieces must be much smaller than the drains. Otherwise they'd more than likely get lodged in the drain while draining rather than flowing right out with the oil. So let me get this straight. You don't use your drain plan to drain oil out of anything else? If your sure that those pieces came out of the warrior beyond a shadow of a doubt, I'd say you have a serious problem. I'm very surprised that you haven't experienced symptomslike an unsual noise or something. I would like to know how big those pieces are.

+ 1 , see told ya i wouldn't be able to sleep,lol j/k

i would not tear into it just yet unless i am 100000000000000% sure those pieces couldn't have come from anywhere else.

like i stated earlier look at the oil filter , the oil itself of course . perform a leakdown which will tell you what shape the cylinders , valves , rings etc are in. don't think you'll find anything there but is worth checking.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
OK, I was a bit confused when you referred to the oil pan. I was under the assumption you pulled the lower pan off the Warrior and those parts were in the lower oil reservoir pan. There is no way them parts came out of the drain hole......

·
Super Moderator
5,777 Posts
I agree with Dark Star, unless those pieces are the size of BB', there is no way they could come out a drain hole. Kind of suspicious of you Pep not posting anything about the sizes of the pieces. Are you pulling our Tailpipes?

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those pieces are about the size of a pencil eraser. I'll check to see if they're magnetic tonite.

As far as somone playing a trick, my wife is never in the garage and I have no children at home. I suppose it could be miscellanous pieces that ended up in the pan but I can't recall anything. I'll do an oil change this week and check the filter. I usually do one right before winter so the timing is a bit early but close enough.

Thanks for all the input. I breathing a bit easier now.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hey Pep, can youpostsome more pictures of these pieces from different perspectives? Photograph them with a coinso wecan get a sense of scale on themtoo. I'm curious what you have there...

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's another view with a ruler. Parts are aluminum. Any possibility thiese could have come from the clutch assembly or is it all steel as well?

·
Registered
661 Posts
mdfdwarrior said:
Duke,

I gotta agree with the optimists here that the suspect pieces of metal came from a different source other than the warrior. An autopsy of the oil filter isn't a bad idea for more clues and wouldn't hurt.... I too would like to know how large the chunks that you found are....

The left chunk looks like there was a cut that was started on the bottom right edge. I'd be intereseted in seeing the other side of those pieces. Could it have been some debris from some dremel or jig saw work that somehow got onto the oil pan?
+1. The second I looked at the first pic I noticed that the left pieced has what appears to be a cut, like from a hacksaw or jigsaw blade started on it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts