RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a number of posts on this, but can't find answers to what I'm experiencing. My low fuel light worked perfectly and the odometer would set when it came on as it should. Then one day it just quit working and I ran out of fuel with no warning. It has happened twice more since then with nothing from the indicator light or odometer. The light comes on when I turn on the switch so I know the bulb is good.

Yesterday I took out the fuel pump assembly and cleaned the connections to the sensor. Everything looked OK visually. I checked the resistance from the sensor while dry and when submersed in fuel and nothing changed so I'm thinking the sensor is bad. Any ideas whether this is a good indicator or not? Can I get as sensor without buying the whole fuel pump assembly?

Also, I reassembled everything and now the low fuel light flashes 8 times and then is off a few seconds and then flashes again. It doesn't matter it the bike is running or not. It doesn't matter what the fuel level is.

Thanks for your help!

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,986 Posts
Great information. Good job.

The auxiliary tank's fuel pump level sensor is not available from Yamaha separately. Suggest you post a want-to-buy ad in that forum here. Someone might luckily have one laying-around.

As you can see the sensor wire connects at the sensor's top. It's been known to come loose. A couple people here posted they disassembled and repaired it. I don't recall anyone posting status over time. I also don't recall which members.

I gather you have it already, but if you don't already have the free e-copy of the service manual you should get it. Click Technical Bits in my sigpic then browse (and tab) to the source. It's a searchable pdf. Use criteria 'flash 8' or similar for jumping to section. Try a couple different criteria until found. There is a simple explanation of why it's flashing 8 times. Compare your observations.

Plus notice troubleshooting area. During that read, notice also there may be hints helping you to determine if the low fuel sensor is the root or not, or if it's the sole root, or if it can be taken off the table.

Your dry and wet test is likely already confirming a bad wire connection under the hood. But keep eyes open for other stumble-across possibilities.

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,549 Posts
Any diagnostic fault code being displayed upon key-on? Have you run through diagnostics yet? As AZ said, grab the service manual and look through. The diagnostic bit starts around page 430 or so.

I think it’s most likely a broken wire from the sensor based on your test. It’s not terribly likely the thermistor has failed.

I’m actually really intrigued by this issue as I’ve never heard of the fuel light flashing as a symptom. Usually it’s the check engine and a code. I’ll keep looking at this too until my daughter wakes from her nap.

Good luck! And post up if you figure it out. Always good to close the loop on unique issues.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,986 Posts
Okay my bad it's in the OWNERS manual. Check our DOCUMENTATION forum in Manuals section.

Ref explanation:

There are many other conversations about this too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I've been nuked by COVID and cold weather and haven't had time to follow up on diagnosing this. Hopefully soon. This gives me some direction. I will let you know what i find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts