RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dida search for this and came up with a bunch of "check the dry break" answers, but I don't think this is my problem. Here's the situation. Low fuel light comes on and goes off randomly. Yesterday, went on a ride of about 165 miles. Low fuel light was on when I started, so I stopped and filled up. Only took about 1.5 gallons. I went on the ride and after about 50 miles the light came on. I knew I had plenty of gas and suspected the dry breaks, so I just kept my eye on it. No sputtering, engine continued to run fine. Stopped and had lunch at about 80 miles. Got back on the bike and the low fuel light was out. I went about 10 miles and the low fuel light came back on. Stopped for gas at about 100 (took only 1.5 gals to fill up!) and the fuel light was still on. Rode the rest of the way home, about 65 miles with no problems, except the light. So, it is obvious to me that plenty of fuel is getting from the main tank to the reserve. Does anyone know how the low fuel sensor works? Is it some kind of float or other kind of sensor. Do they go bad? Is there any record of connector problems? I am very open to suggestions at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,600 Posts
Mustfire said:
Dida search for this and came up with a bunch of "check the dry break" answers, but I don't think this is my problem.

Just for s#*ts and giggles did you check them anyway?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
When did this start happening? Right after tank was removed? Have you tried disconnecting and firmly reconnecting your dry breaks? 9 times out of 10, the low fuel light problem happens right after people remove their tank to do an air kit or whatever. Don't forget to check both dry breaks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts
To me it sounds electrical, loose ground, bad contact or a plug not inserted


fully. I'm not a mechanic but you said the light comes on and off and you rode


a good distance with the light on so you are getting fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did check them. I have done away with the stock dry break on the AIS module when I removed that. I now have a 3/8 nch braided fuel line with a dry break from an outboard motor (off a 150 Mariner). I disconnected the one under the tank several times and reconnected it. Got an audible "click" each time. Like I said, I'm not running out of fuel, so the reserve tank is not empty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,835 Posts
did you check the one under the seat? The only other thing I can think of is that the mariner dry break that you are using is to restrictive, and does not allow enough flow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dice said:
did you check the one under the seat? The only other thing I can think of is that the mariner dry break that you are using is to restrictive, and does not allow enough flow.

I thought of that but, it's hard for me to believe that it can flow enough fuel for a 150 hp outboard (and you know how those things gulp fuel) and not an 80 hp Warrior. Anyway, it's one of two, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,413 Posts
Any kinked hoses? Esp the ones on the left side under the tank that connect near the front tank mount on knob on the left side. Did you just get your tank back from paint? (clogged vent lines and tubes under the cap) The rear hose that clips into the reservoir under the seat is only a vent tube. No fuel flows through the rear tank tube - is it kinked? Check to see that the braided line you installed is not kinked from behind the quick release joint all the way to the reserve tank under the seat. Something is causing the reserve tank under the seat to "not stay full", thus your light is coming on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
i have had the same problem from the get go. mine seems to act up only when warm and goes away when the airflow around the bike is high(when up to speed). then the engine cools down and it goes out. talked to a yamaha service rep friend and he also suggested the hose connections. at the next stop i checked them. we ran at a slow pace and the engine warmed up and the light came on got up to cruising speed and it went off again. i asked him if the float in the tank could be bad and he had no clue. any help would be greatful
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,912 Posts
Mustfire said:
Dice said:
did you check the one under the seat? The only other thing I can think of is that the mariner dry break that you are using is to restrictive, and does not allow enough flow.

I thought of that but, it's hard for me to believe that it can flow enough fuel for a 150 hp outboard (and you know how those things gulp fuel) and not an 80 hp Warrior. Anyway, it's one of two, right?
If your intermittent low fuel light started with the marine dry break (MDB)replacement, and alsolonger rides there after,then i would agree with Dice that it is too restrictive.

[*]Is that the case??[/list]


The logic being that the fuel pump is displacing more fuel than can be returned via the restrictive orifice of thegravity MDB and the FPR at highway speeds causing the aux gas tank level sensor to come on!


Replacing the MDB with a 3/8" hose mender would provide the answer here if the above is the case.


IMO, an improperly vented main gas tank should be recognized by a +/- pressureimmediately upon opening the gas cap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AlanH said:
Mustfire said:
Dice said:
did you check the one under the seat? The only other thing I can think of is that the mariner dry break that you are using is to restrictive, and does not allow enough flow.

I thought of that but, it's hard for me to believe that it can flow enough fuel for a 150 hp outboard (and you know how those things gulp fuel) and not an 80 hp Warrior. Anyway, it's one of two, right?
If your intermittent low fuel light started with the marine dry break (MDB)replacement, and alsolonger rides there after,then i would agree with Dice that it is too restrictive.

[*]Is that the case??[/list]


The logic being that the fuel pump is displacing more fuel than can be returned via the restrictive orifice of thegravity MDB and the FPR at highway speeds causing the aux gas tank level sensor to come on!


Replacing the MDB with a 3/8" hose mender would provide the answer here if the above is the case.


IMO, an improperly vented main gas tank should be recognized by a +/- pressureimmediately upon opening the gas cap.

So,the Low Fuel Light signal is generated by the FPR? Some kind of pressure differential that the computer sees? If it were really really using more gas than could be fed into the aux tank, wouldn't I eventually run out?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,988 Posts
Mustfire...


Now, I don't know about boat engines but...


Even if your Dry Break is from a Higher HP engine that consumes more gas, would the boat engine have a gas pump that would allow more gas to be fed through this Dry Break... as apposed to the warrior's?


So you might still be short on fuel delivery with your dry break even though it came off a higher a higher fuel delivery system...


unless I'm missing something on my assumption... like the fact that I don't really know what I'm talking about...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,912 Posts
Mustfire said:
AlanH said:
Mustfire said:
Dice said:
did you check the one under the seat? The only other thing I can think of is that the mariner dry break that you are using is to restrictive, and does not allow enough flow.

I thought of that but, it's hard for me to believe that it can flow enough fuel for a 150 hp outboard (and you know how those things gulp fuel) and not an 80 hp Warrior. Anyway, it's one of two, right?
If your intermittent low fuel light started with the marine dry break (MDB)replacement, and alsolonger rides there after,then i would agree with Dice that it is too restrictive.

[*]Is that the case??[/list]


The logic being that the fuel pump is displacing more fuel than can be returned via the restrictive orifice of thegravity MDB and the FPR at highway speeds causing the aux gas tank level sensor to come on!


Replacing the MDB with a 3/8" hose mender would provide the answer here if the above is the case.


IMO, an improperly vented main gas tank should be recognized by a +/- pressureimmediately upon opening the gas cap.

So,the Low Fuel Light signal is generated by the FPR? Some kind of pressure differential that the computer sees? If it were really really using more gas than could be fed into the aux tank, wouldn't I eventually run out?
Can you respond to the original question asked as high lighted in RED
??



The Yamaha factorymanual does an excellent job of describing the operation of the low fuel light (LFL). I wouldsuggest downloading the manual to your PC and openning thefile. Simply put, the LFL Sensor is similar to an automotive resistor based level gauge that interfaces with the Tachometer circuit board 1st and subsequently with the indicator LED in the Speedo. The wire is clearly identified as aGRND which is the norm. Chk the Warrior wiring diagram.

[*]Adobe Reader has an excellent search tool.

[*]Search for Fuel Pump and you'll bring up a bundle of info, some worthless and some spot on that will answer your questions of the LFL indicator and trouble shooting[/list][/list]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Is it some kind of float or other kind of sensor..Yes there's sensor inside the reservefuel tank under the seat.I had this problem before i took it to the dealer they replaced the sensor still under warranty.. If you remove the fuel pump you see a grey capsule mounted close to the pump..good luck hope to resolve your issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alan,


The problem really started some time ago, before the drybreak mod. But, it was very rare then and I didn't pay much attention to it. Now it's happening all the time. I guess the next question would be are there any know problems (recalls) for a faulty sensor? Thanks in advance, your help is always dependable and in-depth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
badass said:
Is it some kind of float or other kind of sensor..Yes there's sensor inside the reservefuel tank under the seat.I had this problem before i took it to the dealer they replaced the sensor still under warranty.. If you remove the fuel pump you see a grey capsule mounted close to the pump..good luck hope to resolve your issue.




What year-model is yours?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Mustfire said:
badass said:
Is it some kind of float or other kind of sensor..Yes there's sensor inside the reservefuel tank under the seat.I had this problem before i took it to the dealer they replaced the sensor still under warranty.. If you remove the fuel pump you see a grey capsule mounted close to the pump..good luck hope to resolve your issue.




What year-model is yours?

Year 2002..I don;t remember a recalls on the fuel sensor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Mike, my case with "low fuel" was: after the accident I had to repaint the fuel tank, so I had to disconnect dry breaks. In the process I lost the rubber thingie that holds dry brake lever (under the seat) in the place. I knew I will loose it so I put it somewhere to find it later. I did not find it, of course. I rode without it and I had a problem just like yours. "Low Fuel" light came up after some 40 miles or smth... I had to stop, check for leaks, checks the dry breaks and the one under the seat was loose.


So that rubber thingie is necessary to keep the dry break in place, because of some pressure of your body on the seat and vibration. Somehow the dry brake becomes loose without it.

Just some information.


P.S. Have you ckecked your dry breaks?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top