RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this in an old post while researching ECU topics.

The topic in general reminded that theMitsubishi Zero fighter engine was built from engine designs HD shared with Japan after WWI during 'reconstruction' - and that came back to haunt us for WWII. In an ironic reversal,manyHD components aresubcontracted there. No matter,even as a former HD owner, I still get a kick out of this.

·
Registered
429 Posts
HD made all over the world..just assembled in the USA. Why can't we all just get along?

Friday, a orange FXR stops next to me and goes " Hay buddy..How much Rice do U need to feed a Virago to get a Warrior? Next light after shuting hin down real bad , I say to him" Orange....Good color for a Brick" ...I do try but they just won't leave me be.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The President of a local MC club here, told me I had to have an American made bike to be a member. He then drove away in his Toyota pick-up. WTF? (I
guess it's good for hauling his HD.)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I don't have a problem with a MC restricting their membership to certain makes or whatever (it would be neat tosee an all Warrior club) but that does tell you what there focus is, it's obviously not about the riding. I've noticed more and more that a lot of the die-hard Harley guys are very content to bury their heads in the sand and isolate themselves and tell each other how they're the only ones who can do this and that or have this and that on their bike, etc. I don't mind someone isolating themself as long as on the rare occasion they do talk to "an outsider" they realize their isolation has kept them from knowing enough to speak.

Over the weekend my sister in-laws dad was over and I hadn't seen him in years... We started talking about his Goldwing and I told him I bought a bike and when he asked what size I told him and he looked at me as if I were insane and corrected me with "haha You mean 7 hundred cc, not 17 hundred." to which I replied "1700.... as in 102ci". His look started to turn from comical disbelief to anger as I think he really thought I was trying to bs him. lol He explained that can't be because his GW isn't even that size and he asked if it was a 6 cylinder. I told him it's a V-twin blah blah blah and after saying again how impossible that is because it would compare to car cylinders he turned away to talk to someone else. lol Talk about your head in the sand... This guys been riding for probably 30 years at least.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
I noticed this in an old post while researching ECU topics.

The topic in general reminded that theMitsubishi Zero fighter engine was built from engine designs HD shared with Japan after WWI during 'reconstruction' - and that came back to haunt us for WWII. In an ironic reversal,manyHD components aresubcontracted there. No matter,even as a former HD owner, I still get a kick out of this.

I think this is an urban legend....

For one, Japan was our ally in World War I. The "reconstruction" ofJapan (& Europe) didn't take place until the end of WW II.

TheJapanese Zero was a state-of-the-art fighterat the onset of WWII, so I doubt HD had ANY involvement in the initial design! (..my apologies to all of the Harley aficionados).In fact when US officials heard about the capabilities of this new fighter, the reportswere dismissed on the grounds thatit was impossible for the Japanese tobuild anything superior to our own. Also, the Zero wasn't known for it's outstanding powerplant, but its extreme light weight and high maneuverability compared to other fighters.

·
Registered
746 Posts
+1, Although the Zero was light and manuverable, it did so at the cost of safety, little or no armour, and no self sealing fuel tanks. Just a few hits with .50 tracers and it was all over.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Marco Polo said:
I told him it's a V-twin blah blah blah and after saying again how impossible that is because it would compare to car cylinders he turned away to talk to someone else.

That's funnyI work for a british owned company and some of the guys from britain werein the states forbusinessand were asking about my bike and what size the motor was. When I told them it was 1700cc's they freaked out and more than one of them commnented that mybike had a bigger motor than the cars they were driving back home.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
NorCalWarrior said:
That's funnyI work for a british owned company and some of the guys from britain werein the states forbusinessand were asking about my bike and what size the motor was. When I told them it was 1700cc's they freaked out and more than one of them commnented that mybike had a bigger motor than the cars they were driving back home.
... Yup .... you should have asked them how much gas was a liter too

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
It has a larger engine than my first car did. I drovea Suzuki Samurai when I was in high school. Lived in Park City, UT at the time. Tons of snow, and that thing did awesome. Four wheel drive on a vehicle that weighed only 2100 pounds. Of course the whole thing started shaking violently at about 70 mph. But it never oncegot stuck in the snow.

I believe it had a 1.3 liter 4 cylinder. 63 hp!
Actually, the lack of power may also be a reason it did so well in the snow -- not enough power to spin the tires even on ice. Either it moved or it didn't.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I remember hearing/seeing some time ago that the Zero actually was derived from an aircraft Howard Hughes

had designed and built but the U.S. was not interested in the aircraft at the time.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
funny you should say that. Just recently I had to take a British colleague to the airport. I took him in my 5.0 mustang. not a racecar by any means. I got on it a little bit leaving a stoplight and he asked me if my car was normally aspirated or turbo charged. I told him it was normally aspiriated, he asked what size motor and I told him 5 liter. FIVE LITRE!! he exclaimed as I thought he was going to jump through the sunroof. he told me his car was a 1.4 litre

·
Registered
890 Posts
I get tired of hearing about HD and how its American and what not. Its a great bike in certain regards. I wouldn't mind having one to tour around on. But I don't see the point in talking trash to people who ride something that isn't American. Suzuki's and Yamaha's bear the brunt of all the disrespect. People seem to be okay with Triumphs though even though they are Brittish. And in regards to those American only MC clubs. WHATEVER! I got tired of that being an excuse for not being allowed into an MC so I started my own. Open to all riders. Because that is what it is about.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Sin_City_Warrior said:
The President of a local MC club here, told me I had to have an American made bike to be a member. He then drove away in his Toyota pick-up. WTF? (I
guess it's good for hauling his HD.)
makes me wonder how many" buy american" harley riders shop at walmart and drive little foreign cars??? their nothing but a bunch of hypocrites imo

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
southboundchicken said:
makes me wonder how many" buy american" harley riders shop at walmart and drive little foreign cars??? their nothing but a bunch of hypocrites imo

I don't know, I assume that a bunch of them aren't doing it so much because they're buying American but simply because they truly believe that the American made bike is better. Me personally, I buy American when given the choice but I refuse to buy inferior American made products when I spot them because there's just no point in paying more to encourage poor quality.

·
Registered
578 Posts
SmaShitUp(mike7202) said:
funny you should say that. Just recently I had to take a British colleague to the airport. I took him in my 5.0 mustang. not a racecar by any means. I got on it a little bit leaving a stoplight and he asked me if my car was normally aspirated or turbo charged. I told him it was normally aspiriated, he asked what size motor and I told him 5 liter. FIVE LITRE!! he exclaimed as I thought he was going to jump through the sunroof. he told me his car was a 1.4 litre

yeah 5.0 in europe is very rare . when i grew up there most cars were around 2.0 -3.0 liters , but don't get fooled most of them are very quick and will outhandle alot of bigger cars. Also alot of turbo's over there, just startin' to catch on here like in the WRX's and EVO's.

as far as buying american only goes, i don't think there is a whole lot of made in USA anymore , including just about everythinga HDis made of.

i HATE it when people think they are better because of what brand bike they got , i couldn't care less what you ride.

i have to admit though , it's mostly hardley guys that look down at other people that don't have a HD. not all of them of course, i have met quite a few pretty cool HD owners.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Marco Polo said:
southboundchicken said:

I don't know, I assume that a bunch of them aren't doing it so much because they're buying American but simply because they truly believe that the American made bike is better. Me personally, I buy American when given the choice but I refuse to buy inferior American made products when I spot them because there's just no point in paying more to encourage poor quality.
that could be true and in some ways i feel the same after all my house (which to date is my single largest purchase) was built by americans with products mostly made in the usa, my boat which was made in the usa ,and my truck ( chevy) which was for the most part made in the usa, all of these which account for the biggest part of my financial spending however when it comes to my choice in motorcycles for me my personal decision to buy a metric wasnt placed on where it was made but rather its style and reliability played the biggest role in my decision making. for some reason i just get the feeling that a lot of the people on harley's whorant about "buy american" (as if we should keep all of our money between the two coast) but then turn around and support other countries by spending a good part of their money going to walmart and such. to me thats hypocritical, if your 100% buy american then do just that..... buy 100% american and that would pretty much mean no shopping at walmart and no toyota trucks

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Parts come globally. Its a global economy as they say. But still, I understand what you are saying and I think we're saying the same thing, and that's why I sorta laugh a little when I see things like theHD logo without the attitude on a Japanese freight label.

I know our houses were not likely 100% built with USA materials and USA citizen labor, and the Chevy plant buys globally from the lowest responsive bidder too_Oops I better
before you
me! I will probably someday buy another softail, but it will be raised without the MoCo attitude.

southboundchicken said:
]that could be true and in some ways i feel the same after all my house (which to date is my single largest purchase) was built by americans with products mostly made in the usa, my boat which was made in the usa ,and my truck ( chevy) which was for the most part made in the usa, all of these which account for the biggest part of my financial spending however when it comes to my choice in motorcycles for me my personal decision to buy a metric wasnt placed on where it was made but rather its style and reliability played the biggest role in my decision making. for some reason i just get the feeling that a lot of the people on harley's whorant about "buy american" (as if we should keep all of our money between the two coast) but then turn around and support other countries by spending a good part of their money going to walmart and such. to me thats hypocritical, if your 100% buy american then do just that..... buy 100% american and that would pretty much mean no shopping at walmart and no toyota trucks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I get a lot of positive comments on my warrior and a few people have asked what kind of Harley is it! I just smile and say Yamaha 07' Midnight Warrior. I am waiting to pay it off to start modding it but I have tons of ideas from this site. Will post more pictures in the far off future!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts