RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some research on oil filtration, found a few interesting things. Basic issue here is, mechanical oil filters (I'm including K&N quality here) allow micronic particles to pass thru smaller than about 40 microns. We are talking about your top end shedding thousands of micronic "knives" into your oil. Ever drain oil in the sunshine, and see clean oil "glisten" ? That could be your engine running out in the pan, at the micronic level.

Two basic approaches to capture micronic contamination are magnetic, and microscreen filtration. Three magnetic products that could be used on bikes are magnetic drain plugs, external oil filter magnets, and inflow magnetic filters.

Drain plugs get trashed because the fluid shock waves knock contaminate off the plug and back into the flow everytime the engine runs.

External filter magnets, if powerful enough, can capture particulate. If they shed their bounty under oil flow like drain plugs, at least the next stop is the filter face material before it returns to the engine. Inflow magnets probably have the greatest potential for sucess, but who has an easily available oil line to tap into? No way, am I creating a potential pressure drop on the oil lines to the heads, and I don't have an oil cooler line to tap.

Non-magnetic micronic filters can mechanically filter down to a couple of microns. They can also be easily damaged during cleaning but your eye can't see the "huge" holes that could be opened.

Should you care? Churchkey pointed out that we trade out our bikes for the next big thing, long before they wear out from this micronic bombardment. No, probably not.

I'm may try the FilterMag for $39 because I'm just plain curious. It's external, clean, can be transferred from filter to new filter, bike to bike. Best case, the bike should be around longer, but I won't be the one who gets the benefit. Worst case, I got a $39 rock catcher for my oil filter. If I had an external oil cooler, I would go with the Magnom inflow filter tapped into one of the cooler lines. It's probably the most interesting design.

For any aspiring Tribologist, here are links to examples of the three filters types that could be used on motorcycles:

magnetic filter external
http://212.240.121.34/fcs/magnom_home.asp
micronic screen filter (thanks Woody)
http://onthespot.biz/lucasengineering/index2.htm

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:Originally posted by Bismarck

I got one from Harley Jones that I stuck to the end of the filter. Sucker is **** strong. Works great.
Hey Biz, if you have a link to another product to consider, please share...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts