RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted to make some heatsheilds for exhaust , what kind of metal would I need and what isis thegeneral process. I'm actually looking at making a small heatsheild for the collector section on the cobras . They have sheilds all the way to that section but I would like a small section to smooth it out a little there.Any ideas.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey Randy,

the Bigshots on mine are held on by a worm clamp that goes around the pipe itself...there are slot tabs welded on the back of the sheilds that they thread through so there is no visable hardware...get some sheet stock, somewhere between 16-24 guage steel,,,some wood scraps...some leather or rubber mallets...and something to form it on...an english wheel would be nice... maybe make a form out of some thin cardboard to get an idea...start playing with the metal ,beat it up some,,,pound it around a bit,,,run it through an english wheel to smooth it out and finish it,,,send it out to chrome...sounds easy...I guess you could also make it out of aluminium...same guage...may be a little easier to work...you would then have to get it chromed or keep it polished...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
The folks at Burns Stainless were really helpful to me when I needed a transition pipe. They say 321 stainless steel is the best for exhaust.www.burnsstainless.com -check out their website.

I called them up, and the manager got on the phone with me, took my dimensions, and four days later I had my pipe. I bet if you sent them pics of your pipes on your bike, they could help you figure it out pretty quick.

I don't know how you would end your heatshield, without it looking ackward at the end...

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
"Burns Stainless" is that a joke?

I agree with Justice . . stainless steel. It will react well to the heat and will also bear up nicely to the wear and tear of rubbing legs and boots.

As a bonus, you don't need to get it chromed.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
You could take some of the existing heatshield from the stock header and see if that would work. Also, did you think to contact FugginFab or Pipe City and see if they had any revisions for their pipes yet? Maybe they might be able to whip something up for you for little or no cost...after all, they made those beautiful pipes you have on the bike now!!

Just my thoughts...let us know what happens!

http://www.jpcycles.com/groups.aspx?Page=2&LID=6BAD2F27-5EF4-47D8-9133-22A7A7F39ED9&DID=1b2ffec4-c657-44d9-b00a-4559da2d0c65

^^maybe something here can do the trick.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Arkansas Warrior said:
if you make it out of stainless - make sure u passivate it

ok.. another lesson to learn.... passivate stainless? ...how do they do that and why does it help..... thanks tom ba

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Arkansas Warrior said:
if you make it out of stainless - make sure u passivate it

What if it's not angry???

Sorry.... trying to hide my ignorance with a joke .. .. .. just like school days .. .. that's what got me where I am today! . lol

What do you do when you "passivate" stainless?

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Just my opinion: You will be better served to leave it alone. Anything you make to cover the "Y" is just going to look bigger & bulkier.

If it were my deal I would cut the head pipes off the Y & install a smooth transition.

You could lessen the visual effect of the current transition. Find a chrome tuner can about an inch larger in diameter than the tailpipe. If it will not slip over the end of the tailpipe cut it down the length add some tabs & clamp it on. You could cutthe back end ofit to look like flames.

Another method to attach the pipe cover. When you cut it leave 4 fingers about 1" wide X 1" long on the inside edge. Use your dremel & slot each finger for a hose clamp. Bend the fingers down just a little toward the center, feed the hose clamps through the fingers & install the pipe cover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts