RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been two weeks now and there's still leakage coming out from the push rod covers. To make things worst, today I heard a metal grinding noise coming from the left side. It sounds like the clutch ... not sure. Doesn't sound good. It's loud and painful. I called Jodi at Malcolm and told her what happened. She was attentive. Told me she call back after talking to her manager. I followed up at 6 pm since I didn't here anything. Talked to her manager and he wants me to call back so all three of us can talk at once. I thought that was weak. Jodi told me to ride the bike up. I told her that if I did that it could make it worst. I ask her if anything happens will Malcolm cover that. I was going to put it in the back of my lifted truck but had to figure out how. Mostly likely I am going to do that versus riding it up to Malcolm. I am not too happy right now. Regretting I took it in. The mechanic told me that they did'nt take the push rod covers out but just the top section. Lies to cover up the real thing...deniability for the dealer. [/emoticons/emotion-6.gif!]

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Good luck man...

All these posts are coming true about piss-poor work! I'd rather take my chances than end up with a bike that'll self-grenade on itself! YMMV!

Good luck again!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
My bike goes in @ MSR next week. 357Warrior goes in the following week.

I trust their mechanics, so I'm going forward with them doing my recall. They have an excellent reputation. They do have highly trained mechanics.

Hope they fix your bike formerlyr1.

I don't know where you live, but if your in the Inland Empire and need help getting your bike loaded onto your truck... feel free to contact me. I too have a 4X4 and know how hard it's to load the RSW. I also have a trailer, a lot easier to load [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif].

Email me if you need help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the offer. I live in south orange county. I am glad you have ABSOLUTE faith. I didn't because of my experiences with dealers. I had a two good mechanics but they all left. Good mechanics are only as good as their dedication to their work as one of their own versus a job. I was going to try to make it over to Frankenstein's place for Monday night monster garage but didn't have the directions. Now that I do I can't go until this is settle. Let me know how your recall turns out. Gods be.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Holy crapola, hope i don't have this problem, now if Redhorse has a problem then my recall is cancelled for sure. [}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok after talking to Frankenstein, I found out he was right...it was the pulley. I heard the noise and I shut the motor. I rolled the bike and it made the sound. I rode it to work and the noise went away. I am going to get me the bike lift from Sears and check it out. I told Jodi what I found and she was cool. Told I will still bring it in for them to swap out the seals on the push rod cover. I wanted to ride it this weekend. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took my bike over to Frankenstein's place today. It was horrific. The grinding sound I heard was from one of the five bolts that held the transfer case together. One of them came loose and was grinding on the inside of the front sprocket. It grinded the bolt round and reduce the 8mm hex to 5-6mm. We notice the belt had chunks taken off at the edge. This could have been due to the situation. We put the green locktight on the nut and screw it back in so I can ride home. Can you imagine them telling me to ride it in when I told them I heard metal grind. My push rod cover is still leaking. We took pics so you'll being seeing them soon.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
Oliver, is the leakage what you would expect after R&R on the pushrod tubes. I know mine leaked for several weeks after installation of the SS components, but eventually the weepage got smaller and smaller until it vanished completely. I have a post recall bike doing the same thing and it's following along the same lines. The metal noise is a new one though, good thing it didn't go any further, great heads up Fr1.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello all, overfilled oil systems, down here i've seen two from the dealer, will throw oil out the overflow and basically puke all over the bike, check it hot, good riding all, SUNNY

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Ok here are the photos we took after opening the front pulley/sprocket cover. Metal dust and pieces all over the internals. As it turns out 1 of the 5 bolts that hold the left and right sides of the transfercase together came loose and worked itself into the pulley. A little bit further and it could have locked up the rear wheel while riding.

Mike you should really file a complaint with the NTHSA as this could have been live threatening.

It appears no thread lock was used for the bolts and the loose bolt was most likely not torqued to spec.

The pictures are not 100% sharp as it was tough to do the closeups.
The bolt was completely loose and its head was about 50% missing the 8mm allen head was so banged up that only a 5mm allen wrench could be used.
I put on some green locktide and torqued it as much as possible with the totally damaged head in order to get Mike back home on his bike. No more riding for this bike until the problem is fixed. Some of the metal fragments from the bolt have also damaged the belt. There are pieces missing on several tooths.

Together with the oil leak at the base of the pushrod covers a very unprofessional job. Those of you bringing your bikes to that place better have a talk with the service manager before they start the work.

To me the shop has not only done a bad job they are liable and better be all over this.

The left and the right bolt behind the pulley used to be the same size (below)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
took my bike in yesterday (4-26-04). On the phone he wasn't cooperative. I told him about the bolt and front sprocket ... he responded by asking me if I fixed it. I told him no. I showed Jodi and Avery (Service director/manager) the pic when I got there. I showed him the leak and he told me they didn't take off the push rod cover. I told him it wasn't leaking before I brought it in and he had the nerve to tell me I probably didn't notice it. On the job report he wrote to inspect the bolt and sprocket before replacing. It's stupid to put that because from the pic you can see it's damage. Regardless of the fact... it was not damage when I brought it in or else it would have been noted on the job list. The same goes for the leak. Deniability and minimizing cost are their norm. Jodi was cool. Avery was speculative. If they replace the bolt and not replace the sprocket then I will be pissed off but at this point I don't give a rats ass no more. I just want my bike back and not bother bringing my business back. I won't refer anyone to them...regardless of their reputation. A name is only as good as the person who stands by it. Avery says they won't cover the seal under the recall job and he's going to ask Yamaha for a courtesy coverage. I told him I had the extended warranty so that should cover the cost. That's how I knew they didn't want to fork out the dough. I asked Jodi if she knew about the gas tank recall and she replied ...NO.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I just dropped off one of my Warriors this afternoon there. I'll keep yall posted on how my recall work went. This is my stock bike (only 1500 miles on it), so no HC pistons or 5th gear replacement on this one.

357Warrior is next after me and then Rockmeister after him.

I emphasized that they make sure everything is torqued down and Loctite be used where needed. I'll go over the bike once it's completed.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
quote:Originally posted by formerlyr1

took my bike in yesterday (4-26-04). On the phone he wasn't cooperative. I told him about the bolt and front sprocket ... he responded by asking me if I fixed it. I told him no. I showed Jodi and Avery (Service director/manager) the pic when I got there. I showed him the leak and he told me they didn't take off the push rod cover. I told him it wasn't leaking before I brought it in and he had the nerve to tell me I probably didn't notice it. On the job report he wrote to inspect the bolt and sprocket before replacing. It's stupid to put that because from the pic you can see it's damage. Regardless of the fact... it was not damage when I brought it in or else it would have been noted on the job list. The same goes for the leak. Deniability and minimizing cost are their norm. Jodi was cool. Avery was speculative. If they replace the bolt and not replace the sprocket then I will be pissed off but at this point I don't give a rats ass no more. I just want my bike back and not bother bringing my business back. I won't refer anyone to them...regardless of their reputation. A name is only as good as the person who stands by it. Avery says they won't cover the seal under the recall job and he's going to ask Yamaha for a courtesy coverage. I told him I had the extended warranty so that should cover the cost. That's how I knew they didn't want to fork out the dough. I asked Jodi if she knew about the gas tank recall and she replied ...NO.

Sorry to hear they are giving you such a hard time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Picked up my bike today. Told the dealer I don't want them to fix the leak. Got tire of having my bike down for the ride. They replace the bolt and said the front sprocket was OK. Jodi abide by my wishes of not washing/hosing the bike. I found something on my pipe that seemed like scratches/burn plastics. She said that I told her not to wash it so that's why it's there. She said I probably had it there and not notice it. Funny how when one brings there bike into dealer that your bike is messed up. This is the one reason why dealers are crappy for service since deniability is the key to success.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts