RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is long but I sure could use some adviceHey guys I have a question for all you more experienced persons out there. A group of us guys up here in Oregon started our own MC. The basis for this club is our passion for motorcycles and our wanting to give back to the communities around us. We have designed a patch with both upper rocker with our name and a lower rocker with our state. After speaking to another forum member I got concerned about having rockers and whether or not we could potentially have an altercation with a 1%er club.Well after doing some digging and hours of research online I come to find out that any time you start a new MC you are supposed to get permission from the dominant club in your area mainly the 1%er’s. During your asking they can ask you about your colors, tell you yes or no on them, allow you to have or not to have a rocker, may tell you that you aren’t allowed to show state representation, or tell you all together NO.Now I am all for tradition and showing respect. The last thing I would want would be one of my fellow club members to be harassed or assaulted for his representing our club. So I have thought about this long and hard and thought that I wouldn’t have a problem presenting my club to the dominant club in the state. However there are a couple of things that make this difficult, 1st, there really isn’t a dominant club in Oregon. We have 6 OMG’s (Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs),FS (105 members), M (just moved in 12-15 members),GJ (40 members),BS (45 members), O (26 members), and V (15 members) (these numbers are from the Oregonian which did an article on OMG’s this past October). Yes the FS have the most members but from my understanding they are older guys who are laid back now. But even if they aren’t, how are you supposed to find one and arrange a sit down. 2nd in all the research that I have done many articles state that Oregon is neutral. 3rd We are not a 1% club so I would think that in today’s times that would easily be recognized by us not having a diamond on our patch or our vest, and if one were to ask we have nothing to hide and there for once told what we are about we would be no worry. 4th I have hard time with someone telling what I can and cannot do especially if it is against the law. 5th I don't understnad the big deal about showing state representation?This is my problem fellas. I know this is long but if I can get some feedback I sure would appreciate it. We have spent a lot of time putting this together and I would hate for it not to come to fruition because of another club.

·
Registered
140 Posts
According to wikipedia

One Percenters

Members of motorcycle clubs are often viewed in a negative light by
traditional society. This perception has been fueled by the movies,
popular culture, and highly publicized incidents. One of the earliest
and most notorious of these occurred in Hollister, California in 1947[10] [11] and is now dubbed the Hollister riot.
Whether or not an actual riot occurred is debatable, but there was a
motorcycle rally in Hollister from July 4 to July 6 of that year that
was attended by about 4000 people. Several newspaper articles were
written that, according to some attendees, sensationalized the event
and Life magazine ran an article and a staged photograph of an intoxicated subject on a motorcycle parked in a bar. The film The Wild One, starring Marlon Brando,
was inspired by the event, and it became the first in a series of
movies that depicted bikers and members of motorcycle clubs in this
stereotypical manner. The press asked the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) to comment on the Hollister incident and their response[citation needed] was that 99% of motorcyclists were law-abiding citizens, and the last one percent were outlaws. Thus was born the term, "one percenter".

During the 1940s and 1950s, at rallies and gatherings sponsored by
the AMA, prizes were awarded for nicest club uniform, prettiest
motorcycle, and so forth. Some clubs, however, rejected the clean-cut
image and adopted the "one-percenter" moniker, even going so far as to
create a diamond shaped 1%
patch to wear on their vests as a badge of honor. One-percenter clubs
point out that the term "one-percenter" simply means that they are
committed to "biking and brotherhood", where riding is not just a
weekend activity, but a way of living. These clubs assert that local
and national law enforcement agencies have co-opted the term to paint
them as criminals. Sonny Barger
and others went even further than wearing the rhombus-shaped patch on
their colors and had the symbol tattooed on their upper bodies. In his
autobiography, Mr. Barger recalls how, early on (1950's), there was an
informal agreement amongst the one-percenters, regardless of gang
affiliation, with certain guidelines such as "no stealing" (from each
other), no "rat-packing" (on fellow one-percenters) and so forth.
However, Sonny and his fellow members soon quit the "one-percenters
club" because, as he describes it in his book, they felt that the other
self-described one-percenters were not of equal status to the Hells
Angels, and since a Hells Angel's primary allegiance needed to be to
his fellow Angels, there was no need or desire for any such further
affiliation with this self-described group.[12]

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
1% represents the percentage of motorcycle enthusiasts in the USA that are outlaws. This was a number derived years ago in an article trying to represent motorcyclists in a more favorable light. Outlaw motorcycle clubs, The Hells Angels, latched on to this and forever after referred to themselves as 1%'s. As far as rep-ping your club with a patch Bush, i don't think you really have to much to worry about. You might go to your local Harley shop and ask around. I'm sure guys hanging around there would have much more knowledge in this area than guys on a Yamaha forum. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Rename it a RC (riding club) because MC means something different than what you are describing as your goal with this group

Drop the rockers, drop the city/ state names

Never add titles or patches like "1%," "Core," "original," etc- there will be someone that wants to test that patch.

Those modifications should keep you off the radar and you can still do what you want with members- can have bylaws, rules, officers, etc.

As soon as MCs (in the traditional sense of the word) see a new group called an MC, using rockers or defining chapters on emblems, then you could catch some heat.

You can look at the riding club I am a part of - Southern Crusiers Riding Club. Much of the structures and such are the same as an MC but they differentiate themselves the way I have outlined above.

I do like the name and design you attached...

If you are looking to gather some guys to ride, shoot the breeze and start charitable activities, you don't need to be an MC and no one wants that hassle.

·
Administrator
29,923 Posts
I understand you want to be smart and avoid confusion between club patches. That's where it ends, there is nobody you need to ask there are hundreds of riding clubs, the world is a bit different. My take on this is, do you really want a full-back patch? Why not start with t-shirts! Its getting to where we need one vest for Star Riders, and two more vests for other affiliations.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Make up a secret handshake and go ride. It's hard for someone to give you a hard time at 90mph unless they have a radar, siren, and radio.

Patches are something to sit and talk about,they have nothing to do with riding a motorcycle.

My2c

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Wow, I had no idea this was all going on around me -- motorcycle gangs and clubs that may or may not want to give other riders a hard time. Very interesting.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
That's a pretty cool looking design you have and I understand the idea but what's the harm in dropping the rockers, state, and "MC" title if you're concerned someone may hassle you over it? I'm not that familiar with this issue honestly but I'm guessing it's probably not as common as you make it seem or that it used to be. Frankly speaking it seems to me that you're worrying too much about being just like these clubs that you wanted to join but weren't allowed to and not just focusing on the riding like you claim is the reason for the club in the first place. Forget about them and trying to fit in but yet not so much that you get in trouble and all that crap. Just ride with your friends and enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
its not just as easy as going to the dominant club. the other clubs may not be friendly to the dominant club. Also you have to PAY the dominant club monthly dues is they do decide to let you have a RC. DO NOT UNDER ANY CURCUMSTANCES have a 3 piece set up, or SHOW A LOCATION, you will get your members hurt if you put a location on there. Also with going thru a dominant club or other club, they might dictate the color of your patches.and if they say no and you proceed with it anyway...someones gonna get hurt.

best thing to do is make a cool patch, no top rocker, no bottom rocker, with absolutly no city or state on there, make a riding group and be done with it. and do your research on patches, if the colors, size and shape, or even content (image) of the patch is similiar to another clubs, i wouldhate to be you...

·
Registered
893 Posts
i've been doing the same research as you have and just ordered patches today (like 10 minutes ago)! wow, so ironic.

anyways, yes, i took off the MC because of my research, as well as the traditional 3 rockers.

·
Registered
861 Posts
With gangs, whether Mc or street thugs, it is all about their turf. Do not, whatever you do, put the lower rocker on your back(ie the state). Unless you guys are insterested in starting a turf war. I have done a ton of research on these MCs. Unfortunately college was a few years ago and I have forgotten alot of it. MCs are probably the most brutle/violent street gangs in the US. You can try to get permission from them to wear patches, but alot of times you will then be forced to pay dues to the dominant gang, or get an as* wooping for asking. Also, your patch looks great, but its RED-the color for hells angels. You couldn't pay me enough money to wear a red patch through Mongol territory. They will assume that you guys are HA supporters and knock your teeth out with a hammer-if your lucky. Some will disagree with me and say that its not that big of a deal, but this is like playing with matches.....with gas soaked clothes. You don't need a patch, or a gang name, to do good for the community and ride together. I like the T-shirt idea from above--sounds safer. You should see what they do to other gangs tatoos! No disrespect for any MC members or friends/family of members, I just have a lot of respect for these people and would not ever want to press my luck with them. Its like any group, a small percentage of people give the entire group a bad name. Bumpin a book from one of my previous posts-'Under and Alone' by William Queen-its about the Mongols and is a great book.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
davidd said:
With gangs, whether Mc or street thugs, it is all about their turf. Do not, whatever you do, put the lower rocker on your back(ie the state). Unless you guys are insterested in starting a turf war. I have done a ton of research on these MCs. Unfortunately college was a few years ago and I have forgotten alot of it. 1.MCs are probably the most brutle/violent street gangs in the US. You can try to get permission from them to wear patches, but alot of times you will then be forced to pay dues to the dominant gang, or get an as* wooping for asking. Also, your patch looks great, 2.but its RED-the color for hells angels. You couldn't pay me enough money to wear a red patch through Mongol territory. They will assume that you guys are HA supporters and knock your teeth out with a hammer-if your lucky. Some will disagree with me and say that its not that big of a deal, but this is like playing with matches.....with gas soaked clothes. 3.You don't need a patch, or a gang name, to do good for the community and ride together. I like the T-shirt idea from above--sounds safer. You should see what they do to other gangs tatoos! No disrespect for any MC members or friends/family of members, I just have a lot of respect for these people and would not ever want to press my luck with them. Its like any group, a small percentage of people give the entire group a bad name. Bumpin a book from one of my previous posts-4.'Under and Alone' by William Queen-its about the Mongols and is a great book.

1. Not all MC's...the big 4 and their sister clubs yes. groups like BACA, AMVETS and a plethura of other COC clubs are fairly harmless....

2. Red alone does not a hells angel make.....now if you add in some white (hence Red and white) then you may encounter probs.....

3. agree 100% why make your own club when there are 100's or long established riding clubs out there?

4. Discovery had a show on the Mongols and William Queen last night...great show....last week had the Banditos.....thought alot of it was BS, but still a good show.....want to get the book

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It looks like there already a bunch of Paladin MC's already, looks like a pretty exclusive group, ie military or lawenforcment, so I'm now confused as to why you are chosing that name.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Nice design! It is supposed to be a Free country wear what you want. Most of the "1%ers" are a bunch of scumbag crooks criminals and retards who are hopping that thay can intimidate you in to fallowing there rules. If you stand up to them you might be surprised. If everyone scurries about trying to please them thay win. In most places just the fact that you ride a metric means that to them you dont count as a biker anyhow. It is your call but you will never know unless you contact them its all about respect dont let them push you around you have a right to wear your patch!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
papawheelie said:
Sheesh... scary stuff.

Don't you go wetting the bed tonight!

My advise would be if you don't want to pi$$-off bikers, then don't dress like one. Coming up as a teen there were some Angels my bestfriends dad hung with. They were probally creepier than you are even imagining. They were however respectful,except when talking ofother clubs. They will probally beat you just on principal for wearing that patch. It pretty bada$$ looking though!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts