RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am undecided between the warrior and mean streak. I am 5'8 150lbs & will be riding mostly 2 up.

The mean streak ergonomics seems to fit me better but I like the lightweight of the warrior. With the Corbin saddle & different foot pegs, I am guessing that my wife would feel just as comfortable on both bikes (?).

I read in the magazine that you could get the mean streak to 80 hp at the rear wheel with pipe & air kit modification. So the power would probably be about even between the two bikes.

Would you guys help me to compare the following:

1) What do I have to do to improve the ergonomic of the warrior?
2) Handling & feel comparison would be great help since I could not test drive the two bikes in my area (Los Angeles)
3) Differences between belt drive & shaft drive ( I own chain & shaft drive bikes before but not belt)
4) Reliability?
5) Cost & Ease of upgrading?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
579 Posts
1. change the bars, people usally use the double t. Is the foward lean what is making it uncomfortible? Put on a turing saddle the stock saddle is not comfortiable for a 2nd rider.

2. Handling is better on the warrior. you can lean it more and a better feel with the alumin frame and rc1 shocks.

3. no real difference. the only thing I her of is that shafts could cause some walking of the rear wheel off the line when punching it. Better power transfer with a belt. Shaft never needs replacement.

4. don't know

5. Easy to upgrade and work on.

The only thing that I have herd is that the warrior has more HP and better handling, most people don't think the mean streek excites them enought. The warrior is a simple bike and easy to upgrad. But you don't really need to. You might change the exhast, bars, drop R pegs, and seat. But that is all bolt on and easy. I considered the mean streek but I just wanted something that I thought I wouldn't outgrow to fast and I like power.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Warrior walks all over the Mean Streak in all areas except price. It does everything better to make up the price issue. The only thing I would really think twice about is the two up situation. The Warrior is not a two up machine. You start lowering pegs and putting big seats on it and its going to detract from the low and bad look. That's probably the only reason I would go with a VTX ever is if I planned on a lot of two up riding. Then bigger is better for sure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
All I can say about this issue, is if u get the chance to ride them both do it, the warrior is was faster and handles better than other other cruiser on the road today, u will not be disapointed with the warrior, I love mine

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you want to improve the ergonomics a bar change will help. I run the Baron Radius bar and Yamaha mini floorboards and love the comfort of the bike. I can stretch out my legs more with the floorboards and the bars are just plain more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Did the same as Rivaeric, plus I modified the stock seat, shaved out the tailbone section installed pro-pad gel-pad. Super Comfy! As for POWER, the MeanStreak can't touch the Warrior. I have ridden on a MeanStreak and that was it's biggest downfall, lack's torque!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Powercruiser,

If you have $11.94 to spare you can read this great article from Motorcycle Online that compares the Warrior to the MeanStreak. Lots of good data on the Warrior, it is $11.94 well spent. I struggled with the same decision and have gone with the Warrior. I'm sure Kawasaki will be responding with a tricked out Meanie sometime though....

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/cruisers/02power.motml

Hey rivaeric and DarkStar, did you guys have any problems with length of the cables when you replaced the handlebars?

Also, anyone know of a good way to lower the passenger pegs at least some when using the *stock* exhaust?

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Stiletto,
No problem's with cable length and Radius Bar's unless you run them internally then you have to extend the clutch side by 8-10inch's and the throttle by 5inch's. You can do the flip peg mod (listed here on this web site) or you can purchase the VStar 650 peg bracket's will lower it also. Don't know if the 650 will fit with the Stock Can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1. Barons radius bars, Pacific Coast Star lowering kit, these two s
simple and low cost mods [ $230.00 total] completly change the ergos.

2.The Mean Streak handles very well to a certain point, then the Warrior takes that to a higher level, mostly with its superior lean angle. Brakes are fantastic on both.[ Harley riders can only dream about brakes like these!]

3.Shaft bikes have there place but somehow seem wrong on this type of bike

4.Kawasaki has been building this configeration for more than a decade,so they should be bullit proof. Yamaha has had this basic motor for 4 to 5 years now and has proven to be very reliable.

5.Forget cost, dont let that be a factor, buy what YOU want! Yamaha`s main objective from the start of the Star series, has been ease of customazation.

My opinion is based on the fact that I owned a Mean Streak for 3 months [mainly to cost and Kawasaki`s great finance deal, should have listened to my heart, not my wallet!]

P.S. there both really solo bikes [ like a Camaro it`s got a back seat but who wants to sit back there]

·
Registered
683 Posts
talk to bill h he has had both and is probably pretty knowledgable with both bikes,he had the meanie before he got the warrior and it looked sweet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow what a great site with so much helping hands [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]I feel love[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Now where is that bill1943. I looked at his web site and his bikes look so sweet.

mpm when you mention Pacific Star lowering kit, is it lowering the bar ? Could I ask how tall are you? (for comparison). Also after your modification, do you still seat with your hand reaching forward in the warrior? Does it change your ergonomic close to that of the mean streak?

I would have to take a pass on the VTX even when I had 2 Hondas before (600f2 & 900RR). VTX does not seem to have any lean angle. I heard that it scratch that floorboard like crazy in the backcountry road.

Coming from sport bike, I have to go for handling. Beside, I would get the Vmax before VTX. I guess I am a sucker for good handling bike [:I].

Again thanks so much to everyone that reply & help me make an informed decision.

Thanks so much to everyone who response.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Powercruiser,
The PCS lowering kit is for the rear suspension,dropping it about 1.75 inches, the Barons Radius bars are drag style handle bars which help alot on the reach. Iam 5'10",as far as the comparison to the ergos of the Mean Streak ,the changes make them close, the Kaw was a perfect fit for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts