RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some input.
Time for a new front tire. Between the Metz me888 and the cobra chrome which would you prefer. I have run metzler since 04.The Avon does not come in the factory 120/70/18 only 130/70/18 but the Metz does come in the 120.
Also has anyone used the Avon 240-40 -18 rear on a 240 mod swing arm. Clearance is close with the Metz. Don’t want to buy the Avon and it not fit. Will only be changing front for now.
Need input from people running these.
Thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't like the marathon series of metzeler, but you have to know about this effect:

That is 130/70ZR18 Avon Cobra. It is really wide tire.

And yes, I personally used both of this tires at the rear wheel. I use Avon Cobra at rear for now. Metz is really less width. But for me Avon Cobra is MUCH better in anything than maraphone.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
I run the Avon 3DXM front tire in stock size

Which Avon are you referring to ?.?.?

The spirit?.?

I've heard the Avon in 130 will rub the fender at high speeds

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
My .02 follows on the Rear with the Kosman 18" x 8 1/2" weld-up Square Edge Rim and my 240 DIY swing arm and Avon AV72 Cobra (pre-Chrome):
Based on there current advertised tire spec's the Cobra Chrome has the same Dim's as the AV72 :)
Lots more clearance with the Avon but longer tire life!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I also run the Avon Storm front and rear in the stock sizes. They are such great tires that I'm afraid to try other tires. My second Warrior has the Dunlop and Bridgestone crap that were on it when I bought it. They are absolute garbage compared to the Avon Storms.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I would go with the ME888 130 and the ME888 on the rear.
The ME888 130 fits fine without rubbing the fender. I'm running one.

The Chrome tires run wider then normal so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
I want to try the METZLER Tire
But there pricey compared to the AVON

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also run the Avon Storm front and rear in the stock sizes. They are such great tires that I'm afraid to try other tires. My second Warrior has the Dunlop and Bridgestone crap that were on it when I bought it. They are absolute garbage compared to the Avon Storms.
Hi,
I'm debating on replacing the rear 200/50RZ 17 bridgestone battleaxe BT020 with the Avon storm.
What is better with Avon in your opinion?
I'm looking for a great mix of performance, mileage and wet handling.
I got this bike last October 2019
I just for back to CT from a run to SC and Florida. I did ride in pouring rain..that was fun, not. And I'll go out if above freezing and no ice/ snow.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My two bobs worth might not be current, but I couldn’t believe that Avon have gone backwards. Avon’s were known to be a soft tyre, but would stick like **** to a blanket in wet or dry. I used to run them on British and metric and where you had tram tracks involved you didn’t need to panic. I have Metzler front and rear on the Warrior ( the bike came with them brand new ) and didn’t have 100% confidence in the wet. That could be because of the unknown quality of the Metz. Just make sure that what you decide to get is original and not some clone from Brazil or India. Re the width my 240 has little room either side of the swing arm, I don’t know about the Avon. I hope that helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts