RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am talking with the guys at Patrick Racing about this swing arm and whats going on.

They said that 4 bikes existed. 2 that they raced and 2 that were used as displays. 1 of their race bikes was sold to a friend in Sweden. The second race bike they still have and plan to sell early next year!

The 2 display models one was sold to a friend that raced it at Bonneville and the other was sent to Yamaha and they have no idea what happened to that bike.

But the swing arm I have was their first edition. They ran it a while then came up with something different and this swing arm would of been on one of the display bikes.

I am talking with them to see if they have any way to identify those bikes, vin or anything.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Some updates. Sorry folks I got 2 threads going at the moment one about the bike in general and one more about the Patrick Racing parts on the bike.

Anyways from the other thread Racerxjim asked the following
milkman , I find this thread interesting and the other You originally started .. I am curious as to what fuel injectors are in the bike and what are the the numbers on the ECU that got fried ... I'm not positive but I think Patrick Racing used some Speed Star parts when they built some of their bikes .. Stock injectors are Yellow and Speed Star are Grey .. The Speed Star ECU # usually (if not always ) starts with 72-5PX-70 ....
Checked the blown up ECU and it does start with 72... So I would guess it was a speedstar ecu:eek::mad:

The injectors are yellow so would appear to be stock.

The kid I got it from took a can of spray paint to the bike. I am trying to get that off. It came off pretty easily until I got to the engine and it appears to be a bit more baked on...

I am noticing that at one time if there was a part to make shiny on this bike someone either polished it or chromed it then a later owner spray painted over all of it...

I am not a huge fan of the bright chromed out bikes but less a fan of a shait spray paint cover up job.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts

·
Administrator
27,731 Posts
We learned the '72' is not critical, its the '5PX-70' part of that long string of characters that identifies an ECU as factory R*W Speedstar. The info is in the earlier-provided URL.

I think the 71 appears on 2002 North American ECU's. On 2002 bikes to SA and UK the characters do not exist. The 72 appears on 2002+ S* ECU's North America, the only one I saw delivered outside North America did not have 72 on it (it was in South Africa). The 'grey UK' bikes have 73 same as North America 2003+ but the UK direct bikes did not. We never did discover what was what and it could have simply been a region identifier although we didn't bother chasing it down once we realized the 5PX-xx identifier was universal and met our needs.

·
Registered
535 Posts
just speculating here.. maybe the difference in ECU's is because different countries have different emission regulations and Yamaha tweaked the ECU's to meet them.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Little update on the bike!

My brother in law is not a very handy person, I should say he never had anyone to show him anything so is kind of lost with tools. He has shown some interest in messing around with this bike with me. So its taking a little longer than I figured but we got it back together, temporarily, to give it a test go!

I had Yoshi over to help do some comparing as we were troubleshooting a few issues. So road Yoshi around the bike then rode this new bike, with what I believe from all the searching around to be a 110ci with a PR cam bike, speechless. I have never dealt with brute power like this bike has! Its just unreal!

Now I am working on the breaks.... The rear caliper I think needs rebuilt. I can bleed fluid easily at the banjo bolt on the caliper but I cant get anything to come out of the caliper bleeder.
The front brakes seem not quite right either, the braided lines that were on it were all broken and kinked. When I took the top off the master cylinder it had a layer of what looked like silicon or rubber of some kind on the bottom, last pic attached is what came out of the front master cylinder. I cleaned it all out and tried flushing things out and put on an old set of stock break lines I had but I am still not happy with it. Just doesnt feel right.

I mentioned before that the original owner had all the engine side covers and what not polished. Then later someone roughed them up and spray painted it all. I dont want to go back to polished but am kind of digging the brushed look. What should I do to keep that? Should I put some kind of clear coat on things or just let it be?

On the bright side I think we have a name and direction for this bike! After feeling all the power today and the sinister sound the name jumped at the brother in law and I. I will reveal that at a later time :)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Tie the front brake lever to the grip & let it sit overnight any air in the system should migrate out.

If needed I have front calipers & new pads, I may have a rear will look for it later.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Picked up a bike at an insurance auction. I thought I read the fine print on the auction but got hit with fees after that well really irritate me. Payed more than I wanted but I guess it’s life. It’s intended to be a parts bike. It’s got 50,000 miles on it. Was apparently ridden year round as the front fender is rusted through! The kickstand is also bent somehow! Other than the seat and exhaust it’s as an original bike as you can get!
It’s becoming a parts bike. Belonged to someone in Missouri. Anyone recognize it? There’s a gremlin bell and other couple things on it I thought the owner might want back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The bike is coming together!

Need to change fluids and put a few more finishing touches on it and then its time to put some miles in him!

The paint job is just spray paint with a 2 part clear coat to protect it from chemicals. Its not perfect but it matches the character and name of the bike, I will release the name soon!

The bike is destined to be a loaner. Hoping folks from EU can come over and use the bike to tour around the states or if anyone wants to feel what a 110 plus cam feels like then they are welcome to give it a try!

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,731 Posts
I'm on my way to Kansas buddy! Just kidding. But thinking hard about it! I bet you and me could get in all kinds of trouble on a couple Beasts. We can go mudding like you did more than a few times! Lets find a river to forge to clean off the mud, then have a few brews and plan whats next! Okay, I know. But a guy can dream, right!

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Got the bike back together and test rode it around the block. found a couple issues to work out.

The speedometer doesnt work. I mean the lights work but the needle doesnt even move when you turn the bike on. I got another speedometer to swap in.

Also the handle bar has frustrated me. Its an aftermarket job that came on the bike. Maybe someone recogonizes it and can tell me if I am crazy but I had to put about 4 washers under the risers on it so it woundt hit the tank... My beautiful $50 paint job already has a big chip from trying to turn around at the end of the street and not realizing the handlebars hit the tank.

Besides that need to change oils all around then its ready for me to put some miles on it!

I need to make a rack on the rear and attach bags but thats for a later project.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Milkman, I’m curious to know if your speedo swapped fixed your speedometer needle problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’m having a similar issue, mine is intermittent. The needle doesn’t work more than it works. Along with the odometer not working when the needle isn’t working. All my lights work fine. It’s just the needle and odometer that act up. Only thing I haven’t tried yet is swapping the speedometer cluster out before I swap the speed sensor out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
No found out my problem was in the tachometer. The speedometer feeds through the tach. I swapped to a spare tachometer I have and everything works fine but the mileage is way off now. At some point I hope to tear the faulty tach apart and take a look inside

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
With a little help from my niece, nephews, brother in law and sister. He is alive!

Bowser is the name! Not to bad considering the non running mess of a bike I picked up! Now he is a 110 cubic inch beast! Hoping to get some miles on him in the next few month.

If it all goes to plan he will be available for folks to borrow and ride. Hopefully can get some of the European or Australian, or **** anyone, on a bike to enjoy some touring around the states!

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts