RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a very long time since I have posted anything on here (since 2016). Life has been very busy. I have been on here in the background watching the forum layout change and so on. But recently the old girl needed some loving. Some of the issues have been the chrome bubbling and peeling, clear coat on raw aluminium flaking off, front brake master cylinder needed full rebuild and some wicked oil leaks from the engine.

I started by removing most of the chrome parts like the side engine covers, handle bars and foot controls and sent them in to have it removed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I the set about dismantling and cleaning up all the hand controls and factory foot controls removing the clear coat and casting lines. My main concern was with replacing the sight glass in the front brake master cylinder. Once removed I carefully measured the old glass and the hole, then order the replacement glass.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once I received all the parts back from having the chrome removed I sent everything off to get Cerakoted. When rebuilding the master brake cylinder I lightly greased the sight glass and rubber o-ring and pressed the new one in, it was tight but fitted fine. I fabricated some brackets to move the foot controls forward 4 inches and up 1 inch. I also fitted and LED headlight.

I'm really liking the blacked out look with the chrome accents.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wicked oil leaks were fixed by replacing all the o-rings on the oil transfer pipes on the right side of the bike and replacing the gasket on the generator cover and placing some new liquid gasket on the rubber grommet where the generator leads go threw the case. I suspect the rubber has shrunk a little with heat and age allowing oil to pass.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Looks awesome! Any reason cerakote over powder coat? I want to get my controls done as well. I'm going for the black out chrome accent too. So far so good

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
Looks awesome! Any reason cerakote over powder coat? I want to get my controls done as well. I'm going for the black out chrome accent too. So far so good

With powder coating there is way more choices in color and finishes.
Powder coat is usually 3 to 4 times thicker than Cerakote.
Easier to apply powder coat in which a powder is sprayed and electrostatically bonded to the metal and then baked on.
Cerakote is a ceramic paint of sorts with a hardener that can be applied to metal as well as plastics, woods and other items that powder coating can not.

·
Registered
610 Posts
With powder coating there is way more choices in color and finishes.
Powder coat is usually 3 to 4 times thicker than Cerakote.
Easier to apply powder coat in which a powder is sprayed and electrostatically bonded to the metal and then baked on.
Cerakote is a ceramic paint of sorts with a hardener that can be applied to metal as well as plastics, woods and other items that powder coating can not.
Interesting so for plastic pieces on the bike like the side scoops cerakote can be used.

Do you know if powder coating the handle bars makes the grips not fit correctly? Needs to be sanded down to size I'm assuming

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
Interesting so for plastic pieces on the bike like the side scoops cerakote can be used.

Do you know if powder coating the handle bars makes the grips not fit correctly? Needs to be sanded down to size I'm assuming

Yeah on bars, trees and other areas you gotta be careful as the powder coating will thicken it up and then you gotta sand it down unless you tell your guy is good and knows what to do or you tell him to tape it off prior to spraying. Even areas that are threaded can get powder in there and then need to be chased with a tap to clean out the threads for bolts to fit again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went with the Cerakote because of the flame etch on the handle bars. If I had gone powder coat the flame would have disappeared. The particular Cerakote I opted for is a 2 part paint then is also baked on for a period of time. Being such a thin coat you don't have to worry about part fitting back on and you have no issues with threads but any surface imperfection will show through. The colour is Graphite Black H-146

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve not heard of cerakote. Excellent results. 👍
I hadn't heard of it until recently when I was researching coatings thiner than powder coating. I also did a lot of research on the coating before getting it done. It's extremely durable and had some mishaps that should have scratched the surface but didn't.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Cerakote is used alot in gun modifications.
I have some pieces coated but I feel like it's not as strong as powder coat for sure. Holstering wears it out pretty fast in contact points but on a bike nothing should be rubbing on it. They probably use it because of the tight tolerances I'm assuming.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'll try to hold the Europian flag up high ..... being not a builder I cannot contribute much to those tech talks, just happy to read, to learn, ..... and to put a comment from time to time 😜
Proud to be a part of this global community 🤘

1 - 20 of 23 Posts