RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was riding to work this morning and the bolt that adjusts the free play on the right hand side fell out. I didn't notice it until I tried to brake and nothing happened, which is very scary on the highway. I stopped at Lowe's but I couldn't find anything that fits. The M5 is too small and the M6 would not go in.

Does anyone know the size of the bolt? The bike also has chrome levers (not sure what kind they are though). Do they all use the same size?

Thanks, your help will be very appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
May wanna PM AlanH and ask him, I'm at a loss for the size and if anyone knows it will be him.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
NHWarrior ...I do know that the Kuryakyn 7418 wide chromelevers reuse the OEM hardware! I do recalll the adjust screw in the brake lever was very tight when i replaced mine some years ago. It's a M6 cross-pt screw approx 25mm or 1" long under the head with 1-nut. The control switch housings use a M5 screw for sure and i remember that the tap was too small for the Kuryakyn lever

If M5 (0.197") is too small than it must be M6 (0.236"). There is only 1-thread pitch available in these metricsizes.

If the aftermarket lever you have uses US thd's your choices would be the following:

[*]
3/16" = .1875"
[*]
#10 = .190"
[*]
1/4"-20 & 28= .250"[/list]

Is it possible that the M6 screw was in the wrong bin?

If all else fails use the smaller screw with 2-nuts or theother option is to remove the lever from the MC and install the M5 or #10 screw with the head toward the MC piston using flat washers to set the properlength for freeplayand tighten with a nut before reassembling to the MC.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I found the same diagram, but there is nothing on the type of bolt it is. I went to another hardware store and the bolt I need is an M6 with fine pitch. So I need M6 .75 25mm. No one carries it in stock, but they can be ordered. I think I am just going to order one at my dealer, they don't charge for shipping and the bolt is about $2.

For the time being I bought an M5 with 2 nuts, which I put on eaither side of the lever. It seems like it will hold up temporarily. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
Missing Brake lever free play bolt - M6 x 0.75 pitch

NHWarrior said:
..... So I need M6 .75 25mm. No one carries it in stock, but they can be ordered. I think I am just going to order one at my dealer, they don't charge for shipping and the bolt is about $2.

For the time being I bought an M5 with 2 nuts, which I put on eaither side of the lever. It seems like it will hold up temporarily. Thanks for the help everyone.
NHWarrior .... happy you solved the problem and thanks for the update on the thd pitch. I wasn't aware that M6 was available in 0.75p and owe a few apologies to members here as i've stated M6 was only available in 1-flavor ... 1.0pitch
...Mind you, i wasn't totally wrong as they thought it was 1.25p

Anyway, don't forget to order the accompanying jamb nut that is just as rare

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brake broken off

Need some help with figuring out what all i need to replace in order to get my front brake working again. i know it needs replacing. broke clean off the bike when it fell. now when i ride the bike the taillight is always on (unless i hold a small button on the back disengaging it). everything else is in tact and this is all that i got from it breaking off.

Also, looking for a replacement tank, mine has a nice dent from the fall & a right tail light.

Thanks and any help is appreciated, C

1 - 7 of 7 Posts