RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing the BAK and direct exhaust, replaced my plugs with new standard NGK's (will install the Iridiums this week) custom right air intake and a new test with a custom LEFT air intake, I realized today that no matter what performance mod u do,(putting aside the HC pistons and stuff) it always matter to get the highest octane gas u can get in your tank. I kept on refueling at the same gas station for the past year, and today just ran out of gas in a different neighborhood. So I refueled at another gas station from a diff. company. I got today what they call in Europe Super 98 gas and took a longer road back to the city. ****, the beast was roaring like never before and closed up on an (accelerating)car faster than I imagined. I really felt the extra power from the new gas and loved it big time!! In the last period, I sort of felt like I almost reached the power limit of the bike (with the previous gas), but today I realized there's always some power buildup in this great bike, ready to be unleashed.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Where can you find that gas? There is a station near me that has Cam 2 100 and 110(racing only) fuel. I tried the 100 one time last year and didn't really notice that much difference. Plus I think it was around $5 a gallon.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Europe. It should be there too. I ran on 100 myself, couldn't tell the difference, but you never know if what's on the label matches the content of the bottle. I can get a blazzing 95 vs. a S$%^ty 98 at a different gas station, u never know what these crooks are selling.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Man, you are about to start a debate that has been going on here for longer than I can remember. There are very few who agree on the whole octane issue, except when it comes to HC pistons where you want to use the best you can.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spudly, that makes me think that we can never judge correctly the ups and downs in the performance of a machine. If it's not the plugs, it's the gas. If it's not the gas, it's the air intake. If it's not the air intake, it's the tyre air pressure, and so on , ., . . . .It's always a roulette game!!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure about that Buster. I guess if octane is higher, the explosion in the engine should be bigger so more heat should be developed. .Dunno. .

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
quote:Originally posted by AK_Raptor

Not sure about that Buster. I guess if octane is higher, the explosion in the engine should be bigger so more heat should be developed. .Dunno. .

This may seem odd, but higher octanes are harder to detonate than lower octanes. That's why it's needed in high compression situations (to eliminate pre-ignition). I'm not sure if the actual energy released is any different to any meaningful amount though. You'll need OE or PR to weigh in on this one.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Without the higher compression your wasting your money and may be hurting your power. Who know's what kind of gasoline quality you get over in Romania, AK. You may have just found a better source. But the higher the octane the better, is not always true.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think of the octane like this. Low octane goes Bang! burns really fast. High octane goes BOOOOOOOM. Burns slower. What do you want. One quick bang to push your piston down or a much longer boooom to keep pushing on your piston for a longer time. Low octane likes to pre detonate when you compress it. It goes bang too soon and gives you knocking and rattling valves. Also that quick bang spikes up combustion pressures witch in turn drives up head temps. On the other hand, My bike runs fine on 87 pump gas. Most of the time I run mid grade 89 octane to be on the safe side. Summer is here, Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
"Octane is the rating of the fuel's ability to resist abnormal combustion due to heat or pressure. Abnormal combustion is defined as any burning that is not initiated by the spark plug. Octane has nothing to do with the fuel's ability to make power other than the fact that, properly selected, it allows the engine-builder the use of high-compression, aggressive cam timing and any other trick that elevates cylinder pressure. The power potential of gasoline is related directly to its density. Density is determined by the grade and quality of the crude petroleum, the refining process, and whatever chemical additives are included before shipment to the retailer."

Good article and the source of the above quote:http://www.diabolicalperformance.com/hotrodoctane.html

·
Registered
445 Posts
Amen, brother! Preach it!

I've tried to convince a friend of mine that putting the high octane stuff in his bike was just wasting money. I don't understand where people get the idea that higher octane = better gasoline. High octane would most definately be better for a ZX-12R with a compression ratio of something like 12:1, but for a Warrior engine with a ratio of 8:1, how is it going to help? (IMHO)

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
quote:Originally posted by AK_Raptor

Spudly, that makes me think that we can never judge correctly the ups and downs in the performance of a machine. If it's not the plugs, it's the gas. If it's not the gas, it's the air intake. If it's not the air intake, it's the tyre air pressure, and so on , ., . . . .It's always a roulette game!!

If we all left well enough alone there would be no need to play roulette.
I won't even entertain a comment on the the original intent of this topic. [xx(] Talk about beating a dead horse! ...and you've been around long enough???

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Your engine will run the best on the lowest possible octane ( make the most power )
that will not cause overheating, deto ,,,, BLA < BLA
Sticking 106 octane racing fuel in my bike , will make it slower.

Kyle

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JP I am a black sheep for you lately. . .Dunno why. You keep on picking on me for any reason. . Just kidding. .

Anyway, I just honestly told you guys that putting Super 98 gas in my tank made a difference. . . I read that article ezas, I still need time to get it under my skin (not accustomed to Mopar and stuff) but I recall that when I once put ARAL gas in my old Montero (89'), I managed to embarass a Beammer once. . . Too bad ARAL ran out of business here in Romania after a while. Ok, I'll refill at the same company for a while, make sure the air going into the throttle bodies is fresher, and find a target on the highway. . something like a more competitive car. .and tell you my impressions on a second, and third test.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Higher Octane gas does not make a difference in the Warriors performance factor..........its more in the twist of the wrist.............you might actually be developing some self confidence and taking to the next level.................rather than thinking its the fuel give yourself a little credit.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
gotta agree with sang/jp/& others. different manufacturers have different dilluted products. mobil is suppose to be the less dilluted (according to well known mechanic's recommendation at a yammi dealer), which in turn, will burn cleaner/stronger. i found this out with my truck(along with aftermarket spark plugs). i use to use racetrack gasoline (cuz it was cheapest around) until it destroyed a vital piece(can't remember the name of the part/maybe someone can help me out that is mechanically sound) and it cost $300 to fix. resulted from using cheaply manufactured gas. so, needless to say, i quit using the best priced or cheaply made gasolines and now i only buy mobil,exxon,citgo, or diamond shamrock. very big difference in the quality on how strong the truck runs with those as opposed to the cheap gas. i do the same now with bike and i only burn the recommended octane for that type of vehicle based on what the mechanical specs or internal upgrades are. my bike now, 87octane only. later on, if i decide to go with internal upgrades, 92super.
i believe there is an old thread about this in the archives, i do remember readin it.[8D]u probably did find a better brand of gas. if so, keep using it along with recommended octane. quote:Originally posted by sangathor

Without the higher compression your wasting your money and may be hurting your power. Who know's what kind of gasoline quality you get over in Romania, AK. You may have just found a better source. But the higher the octane the better, is not always true.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
I run 93 Octane in mine. Stock displacement. Usually the Shell Super V. Am I hurting anything other than my wallet? Any problems anyone know of?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
other than your wallet you are not hurting anything, just getting ever-so-slightly less power and ever-so-slightly less fuel economy -- assuming that the quality of the gas itself is the same from 87-93...

Octane does nothing for power, it just resists detonation which is a must in hi compression engines. One of the reasons that people think it raises power is that in a modern computer controlled EFI car, the computer will retard timing if there is detected detonation, resulting in a *loss* of power if an octane rating too low is used in a car with a high compression (or forced induction) engine (like my supercharged mustang).

JT

PS: beat, beat, beat... is it dead yet? beat, beat, beat...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts