RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me if the xv 1700 MT.01 engine will fit into any other Xv 1700 frame or not

·
Administrator
29,187 Posts
The MT01 of course uses a stressed-member frame unlike the Road Star or Road Star Warrior. It looks like the MT01 motor will physically fit into a Road Star Warrior Frame or a Road Star frame, both frames would have spare space since MT01 has no middle drive and is right-side drive. I cannot see if the MT01 motor has the same motor mount holes. Also the placement and angle of the exhaust port in the head differs between the Road Star and Road Star Warrior and I cannot see the MT01's angle.

The MT01's motor is stamped XP615E and the disassembled view appears to show a different lower motor housing design. Also the top motor mount's bolt hole positions seem to differ. The angle of the exhaust port seems slightly different from the Warrior and from the Road Star 1700. But my odds guess is it would clear the frame members.

The Road Star Warrior's motor is stamped P611E and the lower motor housing differs dramatically from the MT01.

The Road Star's 1700cc motor is stamped N601E and while its lower motor housing looks very similar to the Warrior I cannot see if the related bolt holes are in the same places as on the Warrior motor's lower housing. But seems to clearly differ from MT01.

My best guess is the MT01 motor would not bolt directly into a Road Star 1700 frame, or a Road Star Warrior frame. But it might physically fit the space meaning bracket and mount fabrication might be possible

Are you going to blaze this new path?

·
Super Moderator
752 Posts
G’day Stupor,

Good to see another Aussie on the group. What ideas do you have for the MT01 ? I guess anything is possible with a grinder & welder & some good old Aussie Ingenuity 😂

We love photos so any you have of your Warrior, post them up.

·
Registered
812 Posts
G’day Stupor,

Good to see another Aussie on the group. What ideas do you have for the MT01 ? I guess anything is possible with a grinder & welder & some good old Aussie Ingenuity 😂

We love photos so any you have of your Warrior, post them up.
What he said 😎😎🐝

·
Registered
44 Posts
can anyone tell me if the xv 1700 MT.01 engine will fit into any other Xv 1700 frame or not
G'day Stupor, i'd start with cross referencing the part numbers of the area's with mounting holes - cases etc but keep in mind you could have an identical engine case but with a different factory painted colour and therefore be stamped with a different part number. You could also check if they share the same gasket which will determine the if mating face of each part is the same although it's not an exact science as the engines being compared could be configured differently but it does give you a starting point.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It is highly doubtful. Note the lack of a middle gear. And most importantly, there is no oil tank above it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G'day Stupor, i'd start with cross referencing the part numbers of the area's with mounting holes - cases etc but keep in mind you could have an identical engine case but with a different factory painted colour and therefore be stamped with a different part number. You could also check if they share the same gasket which will determine the if mating face of each part is the same although it's not an exact science as the engines being compared could be configured differently but it does give you a starting point.
Thanks I will look into that but was hoping someone on here might of already put one in a different frame or tried to

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The MT01 of course uses a stressed-member frame unlike the Road Star or Road Star Warrior. It looks like the MT01 motor will physically fit into a Road Star Warrior Frame or a Road Star frame, both frames would have spare space since MT01 has no middle drive and is right-side drive. I cannot see if the MT01 motor has the same motor mount holes. Also the placement and angle of the exhaust port in the head differs between the Road Star and Road Star Warrior and I cannot see the MT01's angle.

The MT01's motor is stamped XP615E and the disassembled view appears to show a different lower motor housing design. Also the top motor mount's bolt hole positions seem to differ. The angle of the exhaust port seems slightly different from the Warrior and from the Road Star 1700. But my odds guess is it would clear the frame members.

The Road Star Warrior's motor is stamped P611E and the lower motor housing differs dramatically from the MT01.

The Road Star's 1700cc motor is stamped N601E and while its lower motor housing looks very similar to the Warrior I cannot see if the related bolt holes are in the same places as on the Warrior motor's lower housing. But seems to clearly differ from MT01.

My best guess is the MT01 motor would not bolt directly into a Road Star 1700 frame, or a Road Star Warrior frame. But it might physically fit the space meaning bracket and mount fabrication might be possible

Are you going to blaze this new path?
I am looking at my options as I have an engine but no frame so was trying to work out what I could or couldn’t do

·
Administrator
29,187 Posts
I am looking at my options as I have an engine but no frame so was trying to work out what I could or couldn’t do
Yes I understood that. My reply post is a product of having gone online to Yamaha's parts website to view disassembled views for MT01, R*, and R*W, plus separately checking the engine ID numbers for each of the three which is a separate potential indicator of casting and design and fitment. I tried to communicate that, from what I was seeing in Yamaha drawings, putting an MT01's XV1700 motor into a R*'s or a R*W's XV1700 frame, it appears the motor will physically fit but the MT01's motor-to-frame mounting points appear slightly different plus there are exhaust challenges.

The challenges related to right hand drive have been solved here before by members who modified Warriors by removing the middle drive and adding an oil box and related.

The challenges related to an actual MT01 XV1700 motor into a R*W frame have not been discussed here, or more accurately I have never seen it here and my advanced search yields no helpful information.

I have a bare XV1700 Warrior frame so I looked at it while looking at the MT01 motor mount points and exhaust path on Yamaha websites. There seem to be subtle differences and of course there are no MT01 brackets to swap-in because of its stressed frame design.

Looking at your MT01 XV1700 motor's right-side pics doesn't help me further because the bottom mount holes are not visible and the top mounts are on the left side on a Warrior frame but you haven't posted any left side MT01 XV1700 pictures.

But you can look at your motor's actual mounting holes and compare to the Warrior's frame online and possibly come-up with the same guesses that I came up with.

I am very interested in this as a concept. And I agree with you that the proof of concept requires the input from someone who has already installed an MT01 XV1700 motor into a Warrior frame (although your original question was asking about all other XV1700 frames).

I think you might be in the driver's seat here to pioneer this swap because you have a motor. But you don't have a Warrior frame and shipping a frame to your location would probably be unaffordable.

MT01's being rare in the USA mean the chances of prior swaps having been attempted here are low.

Have you looked into any MT01 or R* websites for swaps between those versions of XV1700's?

I realize now from your recent post that you are really interested in a Warrior build. So I'm as anxious as you are to see someone from around the planet post-up with their own swap experience results. I also hope you will keep this thread alive with your future results and/or research findings. I'm excited that you posted this!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts