RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want you guys to ponder on this a while and tell me what you think. I believe I can make some shims to move the fender stays out on each side of the bike to accommodate an 11" fender.

I was thinking about purchasing a small length of PVC, Splitting it down the middle. Then cut a couple of lengths equal to the section that attaches to the frame. These would be like a shim between the stays and the frame. They would just need to be drilled for bolt clearance, spray painted black, and mounted between the stays and the frame.

Whatcha' think?

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Suggest using aluminum tubing. Its easy to cut & will not crush like PCV. Available in different diameters & wall thickness.

Go here: http://www.mcmaster.com/

Type aluminum tubing in the find products box in the upper left hand corner of the home page.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Woody. What do you think of the idea? It should look a lot better than shimming with washers because ther wouldn't be a void between the frame and the fender stay.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
I like the idea. Maybe make the shim(s) a bit longer & extend the end of the shim(s) out toward the front of the bike a bit so you have steps off the frame rail back to the fender stay.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Churchkey said:
I like the idea. Maybe make the shim(s) a bit longer & extend the end of the shim(s) out toward the front of the bike a bit so you have steps off the frame rail back to the fender stay.

You could also have a taper put on the end of the tubing so that instead of a step down to the frame it would transistion gradually

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
The fender stays are currently doweled to the bike frame and are spaced out approx 1/8" at the leading edge (beauty face)and the profile of the gap is not symmetrical.

The '04' spare fender i have measures 10 9/16"& 10 1/2" across the mounting holes, front torear respectively so there isn't that much difference with your new 11" fender.

I would procure or machine up the appropriate hollow dowels & spacers to solidly mount the fender stays to the frame.

Since thebrackets only need to move out approx 1/4" and the gapwill only be visible on the leading edge, i would scribe a filler pc made of a mat'l of your choice that is easy to work with and silicone it to the inside of the fender stay. A pc of thickblack neoprene sculptured to the gap would work too!

If you plan on doing 2-up riding you'll want the fender stays to maintain their alignment to the frame by maintaining the dowels.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts