RS Warrior Forum banner

More Fun with LEDs

Tags
led
958 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  arizonawarrior 
#1 ·
Ok, I've read quite a few of the recent posts, as well as archives, but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for - so apologies if I missed this somewhere obvious. I am looking to install a new left-side license plate bracket on the swingarm, after having my existing plate and mounting bracket disappear off the back of the bike on the way home from the dmv. Ya, super fun. :/

I am intending to fab a new bracket out of aluminum, using 2 of the belt cover bolts, leaving a single hole for the plate bracket to bolt into.
I am hoping to use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RIEQXY

to light the thing. So, my big question is - where should I tie in to the wiring harness, to use the running light circuit? Fortunately, a previous owner already replaced the rear turn signals with LEDs (but fronts are still stock, so no COD), but there is literally nothing left up under the rear fender that looks useful to tie into.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
When i used those same type of bolts i was able to wire them into the old plate bulb. I did my own fender elimination kit (from here in the forum) and thought ahead to leave some of that wire behind. I cant help you with the color, but is someone else can that would be the best location if available

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Better to use steel, not aluminum.

The blue wire in the diagram posted above by random_guy should still exist under rear fender in the area of the stock rear tail light, it could have been pulled-forward aways. It's a bullet connector.

#6 ·
Excellent, thank you for the location of that damned wire. Gotta be somewhere, I'll go digging.

As for the aluminum - I have .125 thick sheets, which I intended to cut 3 triangle shaped identical pieces, sandwich together for the bracket - since I can cut aluminum with a metal blade on a jigsaw. What the concern with using Aluminum? Just strength?

#7 ·
In case this helps in any way.....The original owner did it in 2004. I just bought the bike but I think its the type of license plate holder you are looking to do.

As you can see, I have the brake light above my plate....on the swingarm.

Blurry photo above but you can still see where it was routed.....

And the last one with the wires and their colors.....

#9 ·
@PeterSik
Yep some do that with good results. Some pull the blue wire back until it's near the battery box and use the bullet so no wiring cutting is needed. It's all good.

@Pdx_Warrior
There is long history here of aluminum brackets cracking from this beast's vibration under acceleration and to some extent at warm idle. It's two nearly-four-inch slugs pounding V-twin style. Even beyond that, it's not the run-of-mill bike. I lost count in particular of how many here have unexpectedly needed a new license plate and mount. As if that's not bad enough, the bike loves to corner and has great stable lean-angle. Assuming no debris or jolts in the road.

Laminate aluminum doesn't really bring a lot more strength than one larger thickness. It's got no real controllable grain. Over time it might just gap from back-forth vibration stretch. Who knows.

But I have to admit I'm intrigued by what you describe 🤔 because in combination anything is possible!

#10 ·
the license plate lights you are looking at sometimes do not last too long and do not provide all that much light. If you are going to use a flat plate mount I would suggest the Radiantz License plate frame as it has a LED bar built in and at the same time provides a nice finish to the plate. You can get it in chrome or black with the light bar on the long or short section LED Motorcycle License Plate Frame - 7.25in x 4.21 With 6 LED Lights it may cost a bit morebut IMHO looks a lot better and you get what you pay for. Radiantz is a USA company

#11 ·
the license plate lights you are looking at sometimes do not last too long and do not provide all that much light. If you are going to use a flat plate mount I would suggest the Radiantz License plate frame as it has a LED bar built in and at the same time provides a nice finish to the plate. You can get it in chrome or black with the light bar on the long or short section LED Motorcycle License Plate Frame - 7.25in x 4.21 With 6 LED Lights it may cost a bit more but IMHO looks a lot better and you get what you pay for. Radiantz is a USA company

UpShift & Peter - thank you very much for the wiring pics and instruction - that is exactly what I needed, since I've never tried to tap into the wiring harness on this sucker.

AZ - I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one who arrived home, missing a plate. I was sure someone "borrowed" mine, but it was there when I left the house, and gone when I arrived home - with one stop, the damned DMV. Would be a ballsy thief to steal plates in the DMV parking lot!

Cristok - thank you for the suggestion of the Radinatz plate. I don't mind paying a bit more for quality, and esp. to a US company. And a suggestion from you carries a **** of a lot of weight with me.

FWIW, this is the bracket I bought:

But because of the shape of the mounting hole (triangular?), I don't see how it could fit into my axle bolt. @catchinganupshift - I know you said yours came with it, but any ideas who might have manufactured that bracket, cuz it looks perfect for fitting into that Axle bolt area on the swingarm. Thanks again, all. Much Appreciated.

#14 ·
That axle-mount plate does remind me of Kuryakyn units and also of Show Chrome units, both make very high quality parts. But I do not specifically recognize that particular assembly. It's a nice looking setup. I messed around a bit searching for criteria 'axle mount license plate' but did not stumble across that exact unit.

@catchinganupshift how's your lean-angle? How about a couple pics from behind and above!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.