RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to share my recent experience with Corbin in trying to buy a Stinger seat. Form your own judgements about their products and the company, but like many others who've posted about Corbin issues, I had a nightmare that cost me $500.83 for a seat I cannot use plus the time I dedicated over the past 7 months to end up with no resolution. Below is a copy of the letter I FEDEX'd to Mike Corbin (who knows if he'll ever see it), plus all the contact I had with them. In the end, Nina at Corbin basically called me a liar and, although she is some sort of manager at Corbin, could not solve my problem with her involvement.

Bottom line is the have nice looking products that may be great if you are lucky enough to get something that fits you and your bike right out of the box.If you need any modification, or the product is damaging your bike in some way, you'll be sorry you spent any money with Corbin.

To summarize, the seat would not latch (too tight and too loose), and the leather on the tip by the tank ended up with a bad patch job after being ripped either in shipping or before it left the factory. Since they pack those seats so well, I believe it left the factory ripped. Horrible service and horrible customer service. Would never buy anything Corbin or recommend anyone buy anything Corbin.

Corbin Pacific, Inc.
Mike Corbin
2360 Technology Pkwy
Hollister, CA 95023

January 22, 2009

VIA FEDEX

RE: Customer Service and Quality Control Issues at Corbin

Dear Mike,

I am writing this letter from one entrepreneur to another because I believe it is important to know that any product you put your name on is of the highest quality and supported with excellent customer service. Unfortunately, my experience with Corbin over the past seven months has proven this is not the case.

Attached you’ll find a chronological account of my contact with Corbin. I have summarized the events here:

1. Ordered the Stinger seat online and completed the measurements as requested. Upon receipt, noticed the seat did not latch and did not fit me well.
2. Called to just send the seat back, but the fellow I spoke with said they could customize it for me. I was excited and sent it back with details about where it did not fit me and that it did not latch.
3. The seat had been sent back to Corbin 6 times and each time I received it from Corbin, it still did not latch correctly and the seat leather was either ripped or had the bad patch job.
4. Seven months have passed since I started this process and I have given up.

I understand Corbin has a no refunds policy, and I will not insult you by demanding one. The sole purpose of this letter was to inform you of the serious problems your company is facing in regards to quality and customer service. If my situation is an exception, I would expect that if a manager such as Nina gets involved, the problem would be quickly solved, however, even Nina’s involvement produced the same lack luster results. She insistence that the leather had been replaced was insulting and was equivalent to her calling me a liar.

I would appreciate your acknowledging receipt of this letter, however, I would not welcome any further description or justification for Corbin’s actions. There is no justification. Corbin failed in my situation.

Sincerely,

Steve Valenti

Detailed Communication With Corbin

Stinger Seat Return Info: CQ# 21962
Sending back to have seat reshaped and latch fixed.

9/10/08 4th trip back to Corbin, CQ#23556
Latch still doesn't work and needs more reshaping.

10/16/08 5th trip back to Corbin, CQ#23940
Shape is finally good, but still won't latch and leather on the tip is ripped.

11/17/08 6th trip back. Received the seat and it still won't latch and the leather on the tip is worn, discolored & streaky. Looks like a really poor patch job. Spoke with Jessica, she said she'd "red envelope" it so it goes to the front of the line. CQ#24227, told her the leather on the seat needs to be replaced and they could ship me a few different lengths of latches. She's having Fedex pick it up.

11/26/08 Spoke with Jessica. She said they received it on Friday (11/21/08) and because they are closed this week it won't be worked on until Monday. She said it would take another 2 weeks to complete. Says she will look at the seat on Monday and call me.

12/2/08
Spoke with Jesica. She said the guy who needs to look at the seat is off until tomorrow (12/3). She said she'd put it on his desk and call me tomorrow.

1/6/09
Left message for Jessica
She called back and didn't remember me. She looked at the record and saw notes only back to November. I explained the whole problem again. She said that the customer service in the back has been on holiday since 12/19 and won't be back until 1/13. She said that they don't update the record so she really didn't know what's going on, but that she would send them an email and hopefully they would get back tp her with a resolution date. I told her if the seat doesn't come correct this time, I'll be sending it back for a refund. She said she would note that in the record.

1/6/09 I wrote the following and submitted it on Corbin's website:
I originally received this seat in May of 2008. I sent it back on June 20, 2008, for some adjustments to the foam in the seat and the latch. Since then it has been returned to your factory an additional 4 times, each time with the same, and escalating issues. To date, almost 7 months later, I have had no resolution. Corbin has high product quality standards, yet, in my case, these standards were not met. More than 7 months to correct the issues is too long for a customer to wait. I have another Corbin seat that I was going to send to have the foam reshaped, but I am reluctant based on my experience to date. I have been speaking with Jessica at extension 230 since November, and she has been polite, but unable to help me achieve the resolution (see my notes below). Although she has promised me numerous time that she would call me with an update, she has not done so. However, she has returned my phone calls whenever I've left messages on her voicemail. I do believe Jessica has done what she is empowered to do, but it has not been enough and this issue needs to be escalated to management.

I am extremely unhappy with Corbin at this point. I cannot get a straight answer about what is happening with the seat, or, more importantly, when I will receive the seat back.

Please have someone in management contact me directly at my office to discuss the resolution Corbin is ready to provide.

Sincerely,

Steve Valenti
(858) 759-9239 office

Stinger Seat Return Info: CQ# 21962
Sending back to have seat reshaped and latch fixed.

9/10/08 3rd trip back to Corbin, CQ#23556
Latch still doesn't work and needs more reshaping.

10/16/08 4th trip back to Corbin, CQ#23940
Shape is finally good, but still won't latch and leather on the tip is ripped.

11/17/08 Received the seat and it still won't latch and the leather on the tip is worn, discolored & streaky. Looks like a really poor patch job. Spoke with Jessica, she said she'd "red envelope" it so it goes to the front of the line. CQ#24227, told her the leather on the seat needs to be replaced and they could ship me a few different lengths of latches. She's having Fedex pick it up.

11/26/08 Spoke with Jessica. She said they received it on Friday (11/21/08) and because they are closed this week it won't be worked on until Monday. She said it would take another 2 weeks to complete. Says she will look at the seat on Monday and call me.

12/2/08
Spoke with Jesica. She said the guy who needs to look at the seat is off until tomorrow (12/3). She said she'd put it on his desk and call me tomorrow.

1/6/09
Left message for Jessica
She called back and didn't remember me. She looked at the record and saw notes only back to November. I explained the whole problem again. She said that the customer service in the back has been on holiday since 12/19 and won't be back until 1/13. She said that they don't update the record so she really didn't know what's going on, but that she would send them an email and hopefully they would get back tp her with a resolution date. I told her if the seat doesn't come correct this time, I'll be sending it back for a refund. She said she would note that in the record.

1/13/09
Spoke with Janice
Said she could only send a message to them and would have to get back to me. I expressed my frustration and that I'm ready to give up on Corbin, but she still could not offer any solution.

1/15/09
Spoke with Jessica. She called customer service in the "back" to get an ETA. She said they needed another 3 weeks. I told her I wanted a refund and she said I'd have to talk with a manager. Spoke with Nina and she said she'd call me back by 4:30 today. She wanted to go in th eback and put her hands on the seat and figure out where it is. Nina caled back to say that they need to make a custom bracket for it and that it will be ready to ship out on 1/23/09. When I asked if the seat leather had been replaced, she said that she was sure that it had been replaced. She said the leather was not the hard part, that she could have the leather replaced in an hour. I told her that for me, both issues were big issues since I received it ripped, then with a poor patch job. I told her that this was absolutely the last chance and if it's not right, I expect a refund. She said we'd go down that road if it got to that, but she was hoping it would be right this time. She agreed to send me the tracking number when it goes out on 1/23/09. She said I could contact her directly at x239.

1/21/09
Received the seat yesterday. Still wrong. It latches but doesn't latch securley. There's a space between the seat and the tank and the seat moves up and down when latched. The leather on the seat was not replaced and still looks like a bad patch job. Very disappointed and I'm done with Corbin. I left a message for Nina this morning at 8am and as of 5pm, have not heard back.

1/22/09
I spoke with Nina this morning after waiting on hold for more than 15 minutes. It seems I am on hold quite a lot with Corbin. I indicated that the latch was too loose now and that the leather on the seat had not been replaced and still had the same poor patch job. She put me on hold again and when she came back she said that the head seamstress insisted that the leather had been replaced. She argued with about the fact that the leather had not been replaced. She walked a fine line, but the implication was that she did not believe me and she believed the leather had been replaced. I told her I wanted a refund and she indicated that my original invoice stated no refunds, especially after alteration were made. I indicated that the alterations were made so the seat would fit me and my bike, and I could not be held responsible for Corbin's inability to make the seat work. She said she just wanted to make it right. I indicated I had no faith that it would ever be fixed since even her involvement did not help. She insisted that there would be no refund and I told her I would be tossing the seat in the trash because it was of no use to me since it doesn't fit me or the bike. I also told her that I would add my comments to the many unsatisfied Corbin customers online to help anyone considering Corbin select another seat manufacturer. She asked that I post the correct facts. I asked her if she thought I was lying. After a pause she said "no" but that she wated me to be fair. I said I would. She said this conversation was getting nowhere, I agreed and ended the call.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Wow,

Man, That sucks. I read all your info and I went to the Corbin site. I had a hard time finding the comments left buy other customers so I left one for Corbin myself.

I left the following....

As of this second, I am in the market for a new seat. I am strongly considering the Corbin Rumble Seat for my 2007 Yamaha Warrior. I have one all planned out.
Then....
I read this,
http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/125974/1003032.aspx#1003032
I read it all. Now, I am a fair guy so I would like to give Corbin the opportunity to win me back.
Would you take the time to leave an answer on the forum or an answer in my e-mail that I could post there that may help those of us who are considering your products?
Thank You...
Billy Martin

SVALENTI, I am really sorry for the loss of $$$...These seats are pricey and I sincerly hope everything gets straightened out.

·
Registered
746 Posts
A friend of mine has been through3 sets of Corbin hard bags for his roadliner due to bubbling or blistering of the gel coat. He rode without them most of the summer while they dicked around. $1400.00 well spent eh. The most recent set are bubbling now, he has given up on them and will fix them himself.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
For the money people are spending on Corbins Products, I would think that the Customer Service/Assistance would be TONS better. Especially having good competition, at least in the seat department. I realize that they are the only one making the Rumble Style but I would rather have a stock seat and no problems than get a Corbin and be mad and broke.

I hope they reply to this. I am really anxious to hear their side of everything.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hmmm, that is too bad. I feel for you in this case. $500+ really is a lot to spend on a seat, and I believe that money should result in a very fine product that fits your bike perfectly.

I've heard a lot of positive things about Corbin products. Unfortunately, I've also heard enough separate instances of negative feedback, that it would cause me to be very leary of spending large amounts of my own money on the product.

I think almost everyone agrees that Corbin and Mustang are the biggest and best players. I've heard more and more people going with Mustang though -- at least in recent history.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
papawheelie said:
Hmmm, that is too bad. I feel for you in this case. $500+ really is a lot to spend on a seat, and I believe that money should result in a very fine product that fits your bike perfectly.

I've heard a lot of positive things about Corbin products. Unfortunately, I've also heard enough separate instances of negative feedback, that it would cause me to be very leary of spending large amounts of my own money on the product.

I think almost everyone agrees that Corbin and Mustang are the biggest and best players. I've heard more and more people going with Mustang though -- at least in recent history.

Exactly.

*putting my money away till I know more.*

·
Registered
850 Posts
wow! i was cosidering ordering a solo seat from them... not now, no way. it seems this is starting to be the cse with many companies. with the economy the way it is you would think companies would be trying to make customers happy, not pi$$ing them off! sorry for your hardships with corbin.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry for your problems. I agree $500+ is alot of money to pay for a seat. I have two Warriors myself and I have Corbin Rumble seats for each. The one time I delt with them they were very professional and lived up to every expectation. I also had a problem with the Rumble seat not latching at first. I looked at it for a little while and notcied the seat latch on the Corbin is larger than the stock seat and it was hitting the idle adjustment cable. I zip-tied that out of the way and have no problems since. It sucks you got a lemon but as with all things there will be problems here and there. They should give you a full refund though after trying to resolve the issue for this long. You must have over $100 in shipping costs back and forth. I hope you get a response from them and they make it right with you.

·
Registered
727 Posts
You are not alone. Next month is the Dealer Show for the Powersports Industry in Indy. Not sure if you can make it, but it is pretty typical to sit outside the Corbin booth and listen to them get screamed at for 3 straight days. I have a Corbin seat on my bike and as a vendor sell Corbin. Usually they will screw something up with every order, usually... most times it is more than one something though.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
fastby250cc said:
You are not alone. Next month is the Dealer Show for the Powersports Industry in Indy. Not sure if you can make it, but it is pretty typical to sit outside the Corbin booth and listen to them get screamed at for 3 straight days. I have a Corbin seat on my bike and as a vendor sell Corbin. Usually they will screw something up with every order, usually... most times it is more than one something though.

Man, thanks for that. Seriously, a vendors honesty is worth a lot.

Having said that, I have to say...

HOLY CRAP! WTF IS GOING ON HERE.

This is really getting messed up. Corbin has a good rep if you can get the seat to actually stay on the bike. If you cant though, your out a good chunk of change? With that your odds are running in the 50/50 range???

Sitting back and catching a breath, one question comes to mind...

How do they stay in business? I used the ol' "this is a once in a lifetime buy because of the warranty and all" justification with my wife. I am finding out that that is the part people have problems with? $550 for the rumble seat and it MIGHT work out. Good ****.

Man, I hope they have something to say.

I would like to reccomend that anyone and everyone write them a little note with a link to this thread. If they get enough action, they have to do something.

Then again, its Corbin, Maybe they dont.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
You're much more patient then I could have ever been about this. That's amazing that you've sent it back and forth so many times and had those types of fruitless give a crap less type of conversations with them and not ridden up and choked anyone yet, I probably would have. Luckily though,my dealings with them have gone very well and I had a custom stinger made to order while I waited twice. They evenfeed you at their cafeand brought out an artist from the back just to draw the outline of the design I wanted for the stitching and inlaid pieces. Each step along the way they brought the piece to me (while I was eating) or asked me to come over and approve what they had before continuing. While I was waiting I listened to a lot of other guys tell me about their previous dealings and they were all pretty positive as well. Mike even floated through for a bit asking people if everything was going like they wanted and if they needed more coffee or whatever. If he gets your letter I'd be surprised if he doesn't take care of you. One of the guys was there because Mike saw his bike at a show and one of the threads was loose or some tiny insignificant thing like that (it was a 5 year old seat so obviously it showed some wear) and Mike insisted that he get by the factory as soon as he could so they could fix it up for him. I don't think lack of caring ishis problem, I think some people just aren't very good at getting quality employees or providing training to make them quality employees. Hopefully he'll see this and understand he needs to get better at it, and in your case VERY quickly.

P.S. - This should be in the vendor reviews section if a mod cares to move it.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
fastby250cc said:
I'll be there with a local leather shop and hope to get some time with the Corbin people. On other forums I've seen outrage at a vendor turn into a resolution due to the potiential for bad publicity on such a broad scale. Perhaps they need to know about this post. Someone needs to send Mike Corbin a link to it.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
when i bought my young guns a couple of years ago i sent it back for reshaping and when it was returned some of the stitching in the seat pan was torn, i took it back to them in ormond beach, they in turn sent it back to cali. for repair and have had no problems since. the latching part has almost always been an issue due to the rubber bumpers under it that hit the frame but that usually works itself out as they will take shape but it sounds like steve has definitely gotten a raw deal here. good luck with the seat steve, hopefully they will pull their heads out of the sand and get this right for you..... i would also like to add that since getting my seat back and riding on it for the past 2 years it is by far theeeee most comforable seat i have ever ridden on

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
I had the same problem almost word for word about 5 years ago. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! There are many topics on Corbin just on this site, just think how many seats they make for other models. The net is flooded with how bad they are but if no one else makes a product then they can do whatever they want.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Its almost soundling ike to get any service from Corbin, you have to go to the shop...

Interesting. Maybe there is a problem in the receiving department....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
BJINFIDEL said:
Its almost soundling ike to get any service from Corbin, you have to go to the shop...

They definitely handle things different in person I feel. I walked all over the factory checking different areas out while I waited last time I was there and I think I saw your seat.... Is that it over in the "priority" piles? Seriously though, I couldn't figure for the life of me what reason they'd have formaking an areatokeepthousands of old seats.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I would think, that with that much stuff lying around, wouldnt they be able to have you send in your "messed up" seat and just replace it with another? If not forever, at least till it was fixed?

Then they could resell the slightly used one for a discount? You couldnt customize it and you get it as is but hey, they help someone out and still make some money....

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
BJINFIDEL said:

it's all departments, not just receiving.

They told me this years ago, there number one priority is selling more seats not, helping customers with problems.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts