RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, got my 02/03 R1 forks fitted complete with fresh 5wt oil...thanks to all who chimed in with info & advice in my previous post on this subject.
BUT...you guessed it, I need your input again!

PRELOAD:
Part 1: Using Racetech method to set Sag, I end up with no rings showing but still get left with 40mm Sag, not the desired 25-30mm.
I'm about 13 stone so I don't think it's my fault!
What gives??? Do I need a harder spring?
Part 2: At the above preload setting, I'm using comp & rebound settings just on the harsh side of middle...I'm thinking I am letting those settings work with the spring to do the job.
I have seen on other posts that many are showing about 5 rings preload but using very hard comp & rebound settings...isn't this just making the latter 2 compensate for not letting the spring do it's part? When I tried those settings it felt jarringly hard over bumps.
(I do have a chronically bad neck & back so my idea of jarringly hard may be very different to others).

Tech stuff not my thing so any advice on whether I am looking at this from completely the wrong angle would be appreciated!
Regards, Andy.

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
What is the stone to US pound conversion factor?

Year of bike?

Has the rear spring been changed?

Tire brand, size & pressure?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
13 UK stone = 14.5 US stone.

2003 bike

OEM rear spring (Sag setting good)

Std size tyres on std rims, Avon Storm Ultra 2's, 36psi.

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
There seems to be some controversy when someone "says" that the loaded sag should be XXX. Suspension varies by bike, shock valving, loaded weight, wheel base, handle bars, riding position, fork oil viscosity, tire pressure, size & compliance.

When installing R1 forks on a Warrior what is normally recommended as a set up for a R1 does not necessarily transfer over.

The way I adjust mine:

Install a zip tie on each lower fork leg near the top oil seal.

With the spring pre load adjusted mid way & the comp & damp settings adjusted mid way ride the bike hard for a day. Check the zip ties & measure the clearance between the top of the zip tie & the lower bracket. If you have 3/4" your good to go. Less than the above add a round of preload & retest etc. once you have the pre load set work with the comp & damp. You only need enough spring to eliminate bottoming. Comp & damp control spring action in each direction.

Comp & damp depends on the rider & how much feed back you as the rider require.

For my 02 R1 forks:

spring pre load = 5 bars showing. I weigh 2 "stones" more than you.

I mix 1qt of 5w & 1qt of 10w fork oil for a 7.5 vis oil.

Comp & damp are both set at 5 clicks out from fully seated

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Churchkey,
I'll try your method & see what transpires.
I'm interested in the oil vis. you use. Why use 7.5 instead of the (apparently) standard 5wt most bikes & riders seem to use, is it due to the weight of the Warrior?

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Remember Andy, the warrior is 100kg heavier than the R1 WITHOUT you adding your weight!

I'm with Churchkey on the zip tie trick.
It's a really good test.
I like my front on a softer setting. I prefer to be able to "feel" the front tyre and the harder the front is set, the less that is possible.
I suppose I'm repeating what Woody has already said but...
Ideally, during the course of the test, you want to have used pretty much ALL of the suspension travel without actually bottoming out.
This is a method that used to be used by many off road riders as using all of the suspension travel is paramount.
The mixture of oil will create a SLIGHTLY heavier weight oil (in between the std weights generally available).
This will increase the damping effect slightly.
I wouldnt personally go much heavier than that on the oil if that doesn't work).
If thats the case you should go for heavier springs.
At the end of the day, it's the springs that "suspend" the bike and the oil that controls the ride quality via the compression and return speed.
Are you SURE that the new forks have the stock R1 springs in there?
Maybe the previous rider was a light weight and changed them?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When weighing people, 1 Stone is 14 American pounds.

The value if a Stone can vary by commodity so its sorta confusing for us who don't use it weekly.

Tell me about it..!
You think you got problems, try being in the UK...I had to learn & use metric & UK imperial at school & live in a country that uses different systems for different things.
Factor in that US imperial values are different to UK ones & I think I need to go & lie down for a while!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
hi andy im 11 ,1/2 stone wet theres plenty of scope for adjustment for skinny blokes sounds like something wrong or read the instructions again lol i cant get rear sag correct , spring is fully off and rear is still wee bit hard , maybe more burgers needed ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mate,

380lbs of R1 vs 606lbs of Warrior, the R1 forks were never designed for that amount of weight. The springs will be way too soft so 5 rings of preload is deffinately innapropriate (barring a sping upgrade).

Set sag as much as you're able but bear in mind the R1 springs wont cope appropriately with the additional weight, you'll need to compromise between sag and feel, maybe 1 or at the most 2 rings showing but you'll compromise on feel.

Compression damping - you'll need to go much softer than standard, the R1 is a light bike it's forks are designed to skitter over bumps unlike the Warrior which will need the suspension to fully travel so try a good few clicks less on compression damping than standard for the R1. Again with the rebound damping the weight of the Warrior will negate most if not all rebound so wind this a way back from standard.

There's no blinding of science regarding sag all manufacturers refer to it and when doing so allow for variations. 30mm of travel appears to be the rule for any manufacturer and any bike. It's a much better route to finding your bikes correct suspension setup than saying go for a ride and adjust so you have 3/4".

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
R1 is advertised @ 454#

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi andy im 11 ,1/2 stone wet theres plenty of scope for adjustment for skinny blokes sounds like something wrong or read the instructions again lol i cant get rear sag correct , spring is fully off and rear is still wee bit hard , maybe more burgers needed ;)
11,1/2 stone?...ah, I remember those halcyon days when i was that weight before I turned into a pot bellied bean pole!!

I know what you mean about the rear set-up Minty...I just about make the grade for rear sag at my weight...suggest lots of porridge as it's better for you than burgers!

Anyway...for what it's worth, here's where I am now:
Fiddled with various settings, erred towards softer settings with my decrepitness & riding style (I'm more Captain Slow than The Stig!).
Had about 12/13 out on each still with no preload rings showing. Felt that I wasn't really getting anywhere so took advice of other local riders & a mechanic & went to see a suspension & tuning guy near me.
He kindly talked me through it all whilst sussing out my weight, expectations, riding style, bike & fork mod, & fettling with the forks, etc.
The result was an quick impromptu lunchtime set-up/test riding session for a contribution to his tea fund to give me a good baseline.
Now at 2nd ring showing preload, comp. at 16 & reb. at 18. He got me bang on correct amount of fork left on the zip tie test as well.
Bike feels great, grounded & responsive, tips into corners better...a worthwhile mod & in my case def. for me worth a one to one with a real pro (he's been doing this stuff for years after a racing career & is really enthusiastic about his work).
He deserves a shout so here he is:

Peak Performance Motorcycles

Thanks for all your input fellas, Andy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts