RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled a few of the bikes out of the cave and figured I would get a few pics while they were getting some fresh air. 1st is my latest supermoto project. It's a fairly stock '93 XR650L with the exception of the wheels and pipe. I will probably keep it fairly stock even though it is a slow underpowered pig, it's still damned fun to ride like it is. I am hoping to have all black bodywork before this weekend and the looks will improve dramtically. Hopefully I will have the suspension sorted out by WF3 because I hope to be able to bring it up with me. This is my 2nd XRL supermoto project and the thing I like best about them is price. I will have well under $2K after everything is finished. Not bad for such a fun little motorcycle.

Insert Image:

86.67 KB

Insert Image:

92.96 KB

Insert Image:

85.78 KB

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the Duc 750 I have been trying to get sorted out. 1999 with a full on BCM Ducati 796 hi-comp big bore kit, full carbon fiber bodywork and carbon fiber fuel cell, Ohlins rear shock and Ohlins AK internals in 996 forks, custom handmade billet trees, Marchesini wheels, 900SS swingarm(better geometry and accepts a wider rear tire). Quite literally the most tricked out 750SS I have ever seen. Now if I could just get the thing to stop destroying starters I would be good to go. I guess I could bump start it at the track but I don't really like that idea too much.

Insert Image:

94.75 KB

Insert Image:

82.3 KB

Insert Image:

84.28 KB

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nice toys!! I was going to convert my YZ450F but the cost was pretty good and from what I have read I could not even make it street legal in FL.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A YZF supermoto on the street would be incredible. ****, a WR conversion would be almost as fun and a lot easier to register. The reason I chose the XR is price and the fact that it's already street legal everywhere. It's heavy, much heavier and slower than a 450 based supermoto, but it's legal, reliable and still very fun to ride.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Very Cool..

How are the brakes on that Harley? I hear they are lacking.. JK Sometimes I can't help but be an @ss.

Very nice selection

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the brakes on the Harley seem to work well enough for me but then again, I ride the bike how it was intended to be ridden so I can see how some people could disappointed with them[/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]. They actually work better than the brakes on the Duc, since the Duc isn't operational right now[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
594 Posts
<<<Buy a Ducati then you can have 1/2 the performance, 1/2 the reliability and 2X the cost of a Japanese bike.>>>

That's why we bought TWO! [/emoticons/emotion-4.gif][/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Good luck with the 750. Did you happen to acquire an ARC Fabrication undertail exhaust for it before Doug vanished of the face of the earth with everyone's hard earned money? [/emoticons/emotion-6.gif!]

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, undertail pipes for me anymore. The exhaust was actually built for the bike by Bruce at BCM. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but it gets the job done. I hate to hear that about someone stealing other folks money. I don't see it too often, especially in Duc circles since the owners tend to be a very tight-nit group, but it does happen I suppose. I hope you didn't get scammed?

·
Registered
594 Posts
quote:Originally posted by madav8tr

I hate to hear that about someone stealing other folks money. I don't see it too often, especially in Duc circles since the owners tend to be a very tight-nit group, but it does happen I suppose. I hope you didn't get scammed?

Yep, he's got $700 of mine (a deposit on a 2-into-1 undertail), but there are a lot of other folks on the ducati.ms forum that paid in full ($1300+) and haven't heard from him in over 6 months.

I just kissed that money goodbye and picked up a set of hi-mount carbon Termi's for my 900. Live and learn i guess.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:How much does that 750SS weigh

Around the 346 lb mark with 84hp. That makes it around 50 lbs lighter and 30hp more at the rear wheel. Certain things that have been added actually add weight, Project Monza breather, heavier battery, an the front end but it's about as light as it can get without cutting the frame and using stuff like carbon fiber wheels. If the sun comes out I will take another pic of the motard with the black bodywork. It looks much better to me now. Working on the suspension now. The long travel in the forks hurts initial turn-in and makes it feel like the front is pushing a little at first. I am going to try and drop the front an inch or so in the trees and see if that helps.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I see you added the rear brake master cylinder off of a newer Honda bike, was that a fairly easy retrofit?? Looks like a bolt-on type of thing.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quote: I see you added the rear brake master cylinder off of a newer Honda bike,

AFAIK, that is the original rear MC on the XR. It looks like the one on my old '97 XR as well. You can't see it in the pic very well though.

Insert Image:

79.3KB

·
Registered
704 Posts
quote:Originally posted by madav8tr

quote: I see you added the rear brake master cylinder off of a newer Honda bike,

AFAIK, that is the original rear MC on the XR. It looks like the one on my old '97 XR as well. You can't see it in the pic very well though.

Yeah, my bad, didn't look at the pic. close enough. i now see the line running up to the resiorvor. It looked to me like the newer style with the res. built into the MC. Like this:

Insert Image:

14.44KB

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cool bikes!! I have a 99 WR400 Supermoto that's street legal in California. Which is pretty rare. I can also throw all the SUMO parts onto my YZ450 if I want to go to the track. They're both a blast to ride. One of the greatest things about riding a sumo is if you lay it down you just pick it up & dust yourself off & ride some more. Not the case for most other street bikes. That Ducati looks nice too. You must have a ton of money dumped into it though, just between the carbon & suspension alone. I've got a ZX10R I take to the track.. Isn't it great having different types of bikes to ride.. Life is Good! [8D]
Have fun & keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
quote: I've got a ZX10R I take to the track.. Isn't it great having different types of bikes to ride..

Yeah, I like variety when it comes to motorcycles. I wouldn't mind adding a dirt bike to my garage but I usually end up hurting myself on one regardless of whether I am on a track somewhere or trail riding. My off road skills are lacking to say the least. I also had a ZX10R that I eventually made a dedicated track bike out of. Mine was very hard to ride on the racetrack. I could turn really good lap times on it but it was killing me. So between that and the fact that I would go through 1-2 sets of tires a weekend I decided to go with a smaller displacement bike. All is well though because I traded my 2004 ZX10R for my first Warrior.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts