RS Warrior Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,836 Posts
Check out the manual for each task. Its possible to use the rear wheel brake for part of it but it's far safer to use a tool if working alone. Or at least that's how I feel. Two different attachments. You'll see what I mean. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well I just used the stethoscope noise is the same thought the motor, starter area as well, I started the bike and removed the starter, lots of blow by (is this normal) noise remains the same, after turning it if I reached in to the starter clutch and it works to correctly, it does have a lot of side to side movement (normal?) Or is there a thrust washer missing? I am now more mystified after using the scope.
Check out the manual for each task. Its possible to use the rear wheel brake for part of it but it's far safer to use a tool if working alone. Or at least that's how I feel. Two different attachments. You'll see what I mean. It's not rocket science.
Hey do you or anyone know where I can get this till your talking about

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,836 Posts
Separate from above:

"Well I just used the stethoscope noise is the same thought the motor, starter area as well, I started the bike and removed the starter, lots of blow by (is this normal) noise remains the same"

If the noise characteristics are the same and the volume is identical from all directions then it's very possibly crank bearings.

If the noise volume is greater from one point than any other point then identify from the motor parts views what item is closest to the location.

Here's an idea but I don't know if it will work because I never tried it. But wth right. With only the starter out, you might raise the rear wheel and have someone manually rotate the rear wheel and listen around the motor with the stethoscope. Maybe the absence of motor noise will help.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well all I removed the clutch cover to check for anything loose in that area, all is good. So today I'm going to remove the primary Cover and see what's toyp in there. If all is well the last thing will be starter and generator cover and see what's up in there. If I find nothing I will be really surprised and confused. I have noticed the noise is very bad at slow speed start stop in town, I'll keep ya updated. I needed to change fluids anyway so not a waste of time.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Ok I used the stethoscope again today and narrowed down the noise to behind the cover for the cam right behind the cam cover on the right side, any ideas?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well I removed the cam cover expecting carnage, nope!#!! All is well as far as the gears go, so it must be deeper, maybe one of the cams???? Any help on this would be appreciated

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,836 Posts
The mechanic's stethoscope seems to be unhelpful. You're at the bike and can't determine the noise source. Frustrating.

Can you post a bunch of clear YouTube videos from all angles with good sound quality 👌 maybe that will help.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well I removed the cam cover expecting carnage, nope!#!! All is well as far as the gears go, so it must be deeper, maybe one of the cams???? Any help on this would be appreciated
There are no metal pieces on the cam cover area so it doesn't make sense
The mechanic's stethoscope seems to be unhelpful. You're at the bike and can't determine the noise source. Frustrating.

Can you post a bunch of clear YouTube videos from all angles with good sound quality 👌 maybe that will help.
Thanks I will give it a try, if someone who didn't know the bike where to ride it the noise might not be evident but I know it's there cuz she's mine and this noise is driving me nuts. Well at least the season for me if drawing to a close

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
There are no metal pieces on the cam cover area so it doesn't make sense

Thanks I will give it a try, if someone who didn't know the bike where to ride it the noise might not be evident but I know it's there cuz she's mine and this noise is driving me nuts. Well at least the season for me if drawing to a close
I put the stethoscope all over the motor nice smooth noises, I then put it on one of the 5 bolts that hold the cam gear cover and it sounded like a coffee grinder! It's gotta be there somewhere, maybe the the cam gears? I did change the oil and it was a little shiny, not good! But nothing like that behind the cam gear cover. Just a little bit more info

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi guys, have a ? I plan on getting deeper into this engine noise this winter, I need to get the cams out so in order to do that the rocker covers need to come off. Can this be done in the frame ?
I put the stethoscope all over the motor nice smooth noises, I then put it on one of the 5 bolts that hold the cam gear cover and it sounded like a coffee grinder! It's gotta be there somewhere, maybe the the cam gears? I did change the oil and it was a little shiny, not good! But nothing like that behind the cam gear cover. Just a little bit more info

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi guys, have a ? I plan on getting deeper into this engine noise this winter, I need to get the cams out so in order to do that the rocker covers need to come off. Can this be done in the frame ?
No answers to this ? Starting to think you guys don't love me anymore lol
Hope all is well

·
Super Moderator
7,468 Posts
Yes the can be removed in frame..

I read somewhere that someone cut down a Allen wrench for removing them

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,836 Posts
Notice one push rod is a different length so you put it back where it goes. Notice the 'folded copper washer' step. The e-manual covers every step. It's helpful to also notice the decompression bits and lifter reinstallation oiling. The rest is just parts off parts on.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts