RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few members that have been dabling in movie production. Was wondering if it were possible to have a Movie Forum to post movies of all kinds...

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
red,

I'm not sure that Carknee would be able to swallow the bandwidth usage that movies would eat up. Picture images eat up plenty, thus the fact that they are removed from time to time. No need to eat up resources if you dont' have to.

Vid files would use tremendous bandwidth as folks downloaded/viewed the files.

*like I have room to talk here*
If there were more supporters, or if only site supporters could gain access to these vid files, bandwidth would be diminished significantly. This is the method we use on another forum I'm on. You don't have to be a supporter, but you have to be a verified member in order to upload images. We don't have video files uploaded to the server at all. They are all linked out to other servers.

Mentioning this, I would be all for being able to upload vid files if the site administration would so allow. The condition of being a site supporter would be a stipulation of having access to these files.

Carknee, sound like anything you'd even be *interested* in pursuing?

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
You could have a forum area with >links< to video files. Chew up other sites' bandwidth. My site (polarsoft.net) has unlimited bandwidth. Not that I'm volunteering to host a bunch of footage, but I've got a 3 or 4 vid clips stored there - a couple for threads on this site. I think there are plenty of sites out there where footage could be spread out... 2 Cents...

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
I use my own personal site for my movies. Unfortunately I only have 5gb of bandwidth each month and that get's chewed up in a couple of days when I post a new video. Movies take up a large amount of space, and even more bandwidth. I think it's a great idea, redbull, I would love to not pay for bandwidth somewhere else, but I don't know if it would be economically feasible for free site.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
You all hit it on the head.
Think about it. A 5MB video file would consume 5MB just to upload. Then, with say 1/8 of the registered members downloading it, that would be over 2.5GB of bandwidth in just that one video! Say there are 10 videos. That would be 25 GB of bandwidth! To top it all off, that could be in just a couple days not a month!

Just not feasible right now. Sorry guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts