RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow gearheads.

I have noticed that on rides longer than about 1hour, I am getting stiff in my back, from reaching so far forward to the stock bars.

My question: I would like to move the bars back about 1-2"...even that little amount would make a big difference for me....what is the solution for that, which involves the *least* amount of work for the install?

I love some of the custom bars...but having to lengthen control cables, wires, etc.... I would prefer not to get into that.

If there is some kind of riser which will move the bars back toward me, and allow me to keep my existing control wires and cables...that would be ideal.

Any info or suggestions?

I did a search, but didn't come up with an answer.

Thanks.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Hi parabellum ,if you are just wanting to move the bars back 1-2". Why not just remove the 4x chrome allen bold caps at the centre of you're riser's and loosen each of the allen bolts x 4 slightly. When loose, move the bar's backwards untill you find a comfortable riding posistion and then retighten the allen bolts x4 and refit the chrome
caps. Job done in 10 minutes [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]. Hope this helps ......Frec.....U.K..

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I've got the Yami TT bars, and they are closer to me by 1" or 2"... much more comfortable than stock. These bars are supposed to locate the grips the same as the current stock bars. Yamaha changed the bars between 02 and 04, but I'm not sure if the 03 is the same as 02's or the same as the current bars. I'm sure someone that knows will chime in.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
There really is no good way to do it without new cables. Trust me, I've tried. Most risers that would move it back enough to really make a difference will require longer cables. I've tried different bars, which worked nicely but really put too much tension on the stock cables so I removed them. I've also tried after market risers that also require longer cables to look and work properly. I am now running a set of 06 handlebars on my 03. They do offer a bit more pullback and are working for me until I decide what route to take to permanantly fix this problem.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm.....

Thanks guys. My problem is that the reaching forward is pulling/stretching my upper back muscles out too far...which is causing them to cramp up after about 1 hour or so. I usually just deal with it via Tylenol...but I'm getting tired of the problem.

Frec: I am going to try your fix first...since I can do it in minutes. I don't know if it will get me enough change to help...but it can't hurt to try [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

Also...I'm planning on a Corbin Stinger or Young Guns seat...which will end the numb-ass phenomenon and hopefully also help a little with the bar issue.

I will read the links posted...and maybe in the mean time I can find a set of 06 bars for cheap somewhere.

Thanks very much.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
8,869 Posts
parabellum....Protect your tank and be very careful to check the switch housings, lock to lock, for gas tank interference [:0]
quote:Originally posted by parabellum

Frec: I am going to try your fix first...since I can do it in minutes. I don't know if it will get me enough change to help...but it can't hurt to try [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yes, will do. I plan to cover the tank with a towel, and then double check wiring, cables and clearance of bars with the tank in the full left and full right position.

What kills me, is that I really only need 1"...maybe 2" of pullback tops...but it seems like I may have to go all the way and install risers, which means +2 cables and wiring. I know I can do it...its just a function of not wanting to mess with too much on the bike.

Thanks again to all.

Chris.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Check the classifieds for 06 handlebars. That's where I bought mine and I think there are several pair there now (possibly listed as stock parts for sale). I bought mine for $30 bucks. Not bad considering the one dealer I talked to quoted me over a $140 for them. That's not the exact price he quoted but I remember it being somewhere close to that. YIKES!

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
The '04 and later handlebars will work, they are the same. They are a about 1 inch narrower and about 2 inches further back. They will work with the stock cables and brake lines (tight but can be done). Best way to avoid damage to the tank is to remove it. Ride around till you are on reserve and you will not have the weight of the fuel either.

Also, check the other posts that AlanH put up for you. Good luck and have a ball.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
well, looks like you got your solution. 06 bars w/ new corbin seat. Corbin seat alone will move you up and forward about an inch each, not to mention they are more comfortable than stock seat. good luck!

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
You can get carlini super sweeps and not have to change the cables but you will have to increase the length of the wires and internally wire them (well worth the trouble and cost). You'll be pretty much sitting straight up and I'd recommend this setup to anybody with back issues

·
Registered
223 Posts
I thought that the stock bars bothered my back. Then I put on TT's and it's worse. I'm 5'9". I think I'm going to longer risers next year.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
On long rides I have to stop for gas every hour to hour and a half anyways so my back really dosnt become an issue. If your back is starting to hurt its because your not riding fast enough.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol....80 is as fast as I dare to go on our highways with all the idiot cagers.

I get about 110 miles to a tank if I keep it at 70mph [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

Looks like I will first try the combo of a Corbin seat and the bend bars...I'll add risers after that if I don't get what I want from the new seat + bend bars.

Best.

Chris.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Unfortunately you'll probably have to get +2" cables and brake lines. But the good thing is that you can go SS and it will look kewl. I have the barons kickback risers with the Flanders C6 cruiser bars and it makes all the difference in the world. I've ridden 900 miles in one day with no pain. For me the pain was in the neck and upper back, would get a pinched felling, and I'd be in pain for days. I am so happy that I have done all the work and it is well worth it. I do a lot of road trips. I rerouted the wires so that I did not have to lengthen them. Ran the right side through the same hole in the headlight that the main wire harness goes through, and on the right I drilled a new hole in the headlight so I wouldn't have to lengthen them either.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dice.

Thanks. That is very similar pain to what I experience...but a little lower, and not as much in my neck (though my neck does get rather stiff). How tall are you?

900 miles in a day...god I can't even imagine that on my bike. It would probably be unsafe, since I get so stiff and that is distracting.

Best.

chris.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts