RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to solve the luggage problem before the end of May, as I will be taking the Warrior for a four week trip around Europe through June. I have decided to keep the stock exhaust bazooka, atleast for now, so I need to do something that works with it in place.

I have searched around and read what has been written so far, but I still have a few questions that I'd like to throw out;

- Someone mentioned getting replacement screws for the fender stays, and then a bag with some kind of bungee cords that attached to the top of the screws, with the bag on the rear fender. I have searched but couldn't find that post. Who did this? Tell me more! This is probably the soludion I'd prefer.

- One alternative would be getting a saddle bag only for the left side of the bike, possibly with an Easy Bracket for better looks. Expensive, but it would look good and sort of balance the bazooka with a leather bag. How much weight could the Easy Bracket hold? Could a big saddlebag full of stuff be too heavy?

- Finally, I could get a passenger pillion with a backrest and put my sissybar pack in the passenger seat. Also a bit expensive, but the seat would obviously be useful if my girlfriend would want to ride with me instead of her own bike for some reason. But would the backrest support the weight without denting the fender?

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
A)you could probably replace the exhaust cheaper that going for the passenger pillion and then your problems would be over.

B)I think the repacement screws you're talking about are bungie bolts (that's what I call them anyway) and if you were in North America you could get one at most motorcycle shops. Sweden I don't know. Pigdog was I think the first person on the forum to mention them.
C) Yamaha makes (or at least sells) a set of bags for the warrior with the stock can.
D) You'd have to be packing a pretty horrendous amount of Sh*! with you to dent the fender.
E) Hope you have a great trip

·
Registered
395 Posts
We are trying to address the same problem. We have solo Mustang seats with a removable backrest. We are thinking of using the big Bagtec bag and attaching it to the backrest. Bagtec says you need at least 8 inches between the fender and the top of the backrest to use their biggest bag. We just aren't sure how to protect the fender from chaffing. There is some thick vinyl stuff that you spray water on the fender then put this stuff down. But I'm concerned on a long trip it may even go through that. I've also considered one of those little pillion seats that attach with suction cups but that may make it so I don't have eight inches from the pillion seat to the top of the backrest. We did get the Yamaha bags but we would have to pack pretty light for a 10 day trip with these. We were hoping to combine them with a bag attaching to the backrest. So we are in the same boat as you and still looking.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Go to the gallery and check out my arrangement (dianka), I'm using a Sissy bar with a Touring rack (both from M/C Enterprises.) This arrangement with the Yamaha bags and a Riggs Touring Pak (pricey, but well worth it in terms of quality/versatile luggage) works GREAT for several very long, cross country trips we've taken in the US. We have found we have ample room to take more than we need...and the bike is still exceptionally well balanced (if you're not a total speed freak, then this is a safety issue I implore you to consider, especially if you're involving a passenger.) I've temporarily stalled on my efforts to fabricate a "quick release" for my Touring solution. I should have time to focus and complete this set-up this summer; once it's finished I'll post my design on this site. Then it'll give me the best of all worlds, an easy to convert full tourer to motorhead, speed freak in (hopefully) just a few quick releases. Hope this helps regards and have fun!!! eric

·
Registered
683 Posts
Moto.....i use the 14 guage vinyl that i purchased at a craft shop for 2.99 per yard.it works great because most t-bags or sissy bar bags have an attachment peice of foam on the bottom mine attaches to the bag with velcro (the foam peice) i have taken a few long trips with no problems just pack smart,i.e. no jagged metal in the bottom of your bag.i have a medium size cordura tour master that i picked up from a shop for 99 bucks over a year ago i run it on the corbin d/t. the vinyl really works great,packs small and is easily removeable when you reach your destination.i just layed it over the fender traced an outline with a marker and remove to cut.if you do this you will want to make your outline about 1/2 " shorter than your fender edges all the way around so the water can be swished out.also when you apply it go from the center outwards and it helps if you spray water on both sides of the vinyl it will smooth alot easier.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Here's anotherone from the quick and the cheap file. Go to IKEA (ya gotta have one of them in Sweden) and buy a sheep skin. I have the stock seat and I through it over when I'm packing the bags. I sit on it also, it's great on long trips. Just cut to to size, it protects everthing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks Boogie man, that's good info. I'm also intriqued by Dianka's solution. I suppose I could put on a sissy bar, even with the solo seat, and have a nice easy mount for a t-bag(actually I think I still have a t-bag from another bike). Dianka, does that sissy bar mount without hurting the fender or paint? I'll go to that site and see if I can check it out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Regarding this Sissy bar arrangement form M/C Enterprises I was incredibly impressed with the design, considering it wasn't very expensive (I got mine via American SideRoad Cycles-$218.00 w/ shipping.) It installed very easily with no modifications to my bike. I believe they also make an alternative rack that attaches directly to the sissy bar, it's shorter then the one I have and doesn't attach to the rear fender, probably a little less stable but if this isn't a concern you might look at this option. It wasn't available via American SideRoad, but it's made by M/C and I've seen it on the web, just don't remember where...The idea of laying anything on my rear fender directly don't sit well with me as I can guarantee you that anything that sits on your fender for several days will ultimately scratch the paint. That's why I have the Yamaha Cruislite bags positioned on the rack, instead of lying directly on the fender as they're designed. The added advantage here is the extra clearance given the stock pipe. If you go with a sissy bar and need to rest a large pak on a solid surface, don't let it sit directly on the fender, most manufacturers of these bags will specifically tell you that. Not only does it scratch the paint, it also results in a bad center of gravity for your bike and can result in a major loss of stability if you find yourself in an emergency situation [xx(]. All the hp in the world, and the baddest lookin' bike on the road [8D]isn't going to save you if you don't pack your bike with safety in mind...okay, I'm off my lecture stand, I'll sit in the back of the room just nod from now on[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif].

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
As for saddlebags with the stock exhaust, I use Tour Master SB-30 Sports Sadlebags. They fit fine on a stock bike with the large can. They even fit on my other Warrior with the Solo seat, I'll add pictures of it on that bike sometime today.

I don't ride with them all the time, only when I need to carry stuff and don't feel like wearing a back pack. They hold quite a bit of stuff. Mornings and evenings can get quite cold, so when the weather warms up during the day I can stuff my riding jacket in them.

They go on and off real fast. They stay put and secure when riding. Have done long stretches of triple digit speeds with them on the bike and the didn't even move. They come in different colors, hold their shape, several pockets, look goood on the warrior, have 3M reflective panels on the side & back.

http://users.adelphia.net/~redhorse/accessory_review.htm

·
Registered
349 Posts
Check out Badwar's bike in the gallery. He's got saddleman drifters but I'm not sure if they'll work with the stock can.
And as always, you can get the Warrior bags from Yamaha like myself and others and they will work with the stock muff(Water softner bottle). LOL[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
216 Posts
hi mnz
im making some kind of bracket for a leatherbag on the left side of the bike, and i let you know if it turns out good.Do you like your new bike?? I do,1500km in one week*S*

·
Registered
130 Posts
Redhorse-How much wider (deeper)are your bags than the Yamaha Cruiselite bags, in your images they appear much deeper and thus would have a better carrying capacity, any idea how they stack up against the Yamaha bags?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
quote:Originally posted by dianka

Redhorse-How much wider (deeper)are your bags than the Yamaha Cruiselite bags, in your images they appear much deeper and thus would have a better carrying capacity, any idea how they stack up against the Yamaha bags?

I don't know exactly, haven't seen the Yamaha bags close up. I did check the gallery section of the board, and they do look maybe 40-50% larger[?]

I originally wanted the Yamaha bags, but everything I ordered from Yamaha was always backordered. These TM bags were on the shelf and I picked them up instead. Needed something quick at the time.

Couldn't find exact measurements or cubic inches. Chaparral does have this info:
quote:Each bag comes with a rain cover, and carrying handles that allow both bags to be carried with one hand 18" x 7.5-9" x 6"

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/item_detail.asp?UID=2003031813542372&ItemNo=03-82339

Tour Master also have tail and cruiser sissy bar bags:

http://www.tourmaster.com/luggage_bags.html?mgiToken=D031D80290763B72D#

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hey Dianka, I'm liking your solution. Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of your sissy bar without the saddlebags so I can get a better idea how they attach?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have taken several overnighters and two long trips - the longest being a week. All of my gear was bungied down. I've got pictures I shall try to post to show you. During the trip I wore a small back pack. Of course, I did pack light.

I am a back packer so I am lucky enough to have good, light, compact gear. But this year I am going to invest in the dual tourer seat and attach my trunk to it. You can really pack that thing full.

Good luck...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey mnz! Also got mine last week!! Yeeha! exellent bike.. I bought a pair of givi bags that looks pretty much like the tourmaster bags, i think they're called voyager. They fit exellent. I'm also going round europe this summer, maybee i'll see you there!! Have a nice trip and good luck!
congratulations to you too bengan!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mnz, I have the Joe rocket saddle bags and magnetic tank bag ,and orignal pipes. I have pic,s of the saddle bags in the gallery.I also have a good size back pack that ties across the two saddle bags. Good luck.
Farhad

1 - 20 of 24 Posts