RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over on our sister site, RSN, but I figure the more prayers she gets, the better. So here goes:

For those of you who pray....say one for my daughter.

She's been in the ICU for nine days now. Diagnosed with a very rare blood disease known as TTP. Cause unknown. Basically, the body starts attacking its own platelets and red blood cells. The debris from the destruction of the blood components clogs up the smaller blood vessels. Kidneys are the first to go if left untreated. Treatment is done by daily plasma exchanges, a process where the patient's blood is removed and sent through a machine that separates the platelets and red blood cells from the plasma. Plasma is discarded and then fresh donor plasma is combined with the patient's platelets and red blood cells and put back in her body.

She's maintaining for now with the treatments, but not progressing as fast as the doctors would like to see. Platelets are at around 49,000.

Say a prayer for her platelet count to rise and stay above 100,000. 150,000 to 200,000 is normal.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. Platelet count has dropped again. Now down to 37,000. Her mother and I are thinking about taking her to Gainesville or Jacksonville. We need to find a doctor who has treated this desease before.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
My familys thoughts and prayers are with your daughter and your family. How old is your daughter? It's definatly sad to see young ones go through an ailment like this.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Ron's got it right... children shouldn't have to go through anything hard like this while young. Tell her to stay strong and know she is thought of with the best wishes and prayers.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
VR-I'm not at all religious, but I'll surely say a prayer for your daughter and the rest of your family today and everday until we hear that she's better and back home again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I know I can count on my RSW family. My daughter is 20. Although not a child, she's still, and always will be, my little baby.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
ITP or TTP is a very treatable disorder, unfortunately the plasma exchanges are a bear. Once the diagnosis is made you can generally have her treated in any hospital that has the equiptment to perfrom the pheresis. I wish her well in her treatment and recovery. I'll see if I can find out anything for you here.

·
Registered
948 Posts
A good friend of mine's daughter had something like this. They found a doctor in Minnesota that is an expert on rare blood diseases. She ended up getting a bone marrow transplant. She stayed in Minn for a few months. And after treatments lived at a Ronald McDonald House in the area.
She is healthy now- fully recovered.
My prayers are with you and your daughter.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Prayers and best wishes to your daughter.
I have a 19 yr old niece that has gone through similar trauma (different disease) recently.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Thoughts & prayers from all across the country. Its really nice to know that you can count on your friends when you need them.

MIKE

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Please keep us updated, My Wife and I will keep her in our thoughts and prayers.

Bill

1 - 20 of 177 Posts