RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to start for myself a build thread where I can keep the progress of my bike in all one place. I hope this information will be useful for anyone interested, but also I'd like to keep a history for myself. I've got a 2006 Warrior, which I purchased used in June 2011, and the only mod it had done to it was some Bub Jug Hugger exhaust.

So, perhaps I should start with my concept:

Here's a few thoughts on the concept: I want it to be basically black and white with charcoal/red accents. So it'll be a blackout/midnight bike, with exception of the fenders and tank. I'm inspired by race bikes, I like cafe racers, and I love super bikes. One of the reasons I was so drawn to the Warrior is because of the sport bike influence. So, I'll be putting some race numbers on it too.

Now, I want it to be aggressive, powerful, and fun to drive, so I'll be doing a series of modifications that will assist in both the aesthetic concept, but the functional concept as well. The list of mods includes: Mortons Executioner Exhaust, Sport Bike Handlebars and Controls, Integrated Tail Light, VBak (done), AIS Block off (done), Coil Relocation (done), ECU Bump Switch (done), License Plate Relocation, Left Side Motor Mount, Custom Right Side Cover, Paint Calipers (done), custom dual headlight (vertically stacked). I don't want a spec of chrome on this bike, so there will be LOTS of powder coating to black.

So here's the bike currently:

Of course, I'd really love all your expertise as I continue this project. Please feel free to advise me, or help inspire me to make this build an amazing bike. Thanks all!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I'm currently working on painting my calipers...

I drained my brake lines, then started cleaning my calipers to prep for paint. It was quite stupid of me, but while I was checking them over I pushed in one of the pistons. This shot a stream of extra brake fluid straight into my eye!! After washing my eye out for a long time, it's feeling fine. Phew!

After cleaning the calipers, I decided to mask off a few parts. I masked off the pistons and the brake fluid holes. The rest is going to be brilliant red!

I'm going to let them dry all night, then tomorrow I'll be cooking them in the oven at 200 for an hour to cure the paint... I'll update you when they're done, and what they look like on the bike.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Good luck brother. I am in the middle of my own rebuild as well so rock on.

·
Vendor
3,448 Posts
Lookin' cool. Can't wait to see it finished! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, it's going to be fun!! As soon as I get a couple more parts in the mail, I'll be doing some things like finally getting rid of that left side cover, this week. Very fun.

The more I think about it, I'm nervous to put my calipers in the oven. At 200 for an hour, do you see any concerns? There's some leftover fluid inside... Or would it damage any of the internals?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The concept in the drawing looks awesome! I'll follow this thread for sure to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have you thought of doing a racer themed exhaust too? Something similar to rsd tracker? if you want race bike looks I think you should change up your exhaust from the concept in my opinion

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As long as you've removed the rubber pieces and you dont put them in the same oven you cook your food in, you should be fine.
Are there rubber pieces inside the calipers? Inside the pistons? I just left the pistons in and masked them off. Also, any pieces inside should be able to withstand more than 200 degrees, wouldn't they? Since they're calipers?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your basic design reminds me some of Mr3's bike:

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums - Mr3's Album: YAMAHA Warrior 2004

Never did figure out what pipes he was using though.

If you do switch to Morton's, I'd be interested in taking your old pipes off your hands. I think those long shot style pipes would look better with my bags...
Yes, I love the pipes on Mr3's bike. In fact, that's the design I went with here, if money allows... if not, I'll do the executioners. In his description he says they're custom pipes.

I'd be happy to get you those pipes, but they're slightly cracked at the connection at the swing arm. So if you're still interested I'll send them to you for super cheap.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Have you thought of doing a racer themed exhaust too? Something similar to rsd tracker? if you want race bike looks I think you should change up your exhaust from the concept in my opinion
Yes, I agree it's not totally in line with a race theme... but I haven't found a race pipe that I like. I'll keep looking and update the concept as new ideas come up. The red tracker isn't so bad... I'll have to think about it for a while, thanks for the tip!

·
Vendor
3,448 Posts
I'd say also paint the brackets including the front fork sections. IMO they look awesome, very nice paint work. But they don't look like they "belong" on the bike yet. Perhaps with the paint scheme you're doing they will fit the new theme. I would say paint the bike they way you want first and see how it comes out, because as of now you have random red calipers, on a blue bike. But I will say I am digging your project ideas and can't wait to see the finished project!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts