RS Warrior Forum banner

281 - 300 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Really digging your thread. I can't wait to see more progress.

Even more interesting to see the guys from Midnight Motorcycle.

I live about 3 blocks from their shop and those guys do my maintenance work on my FJR1300.

Small world.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #282 (Edited)
Today I decided to replace the clubman bar that I bought at the beginning of the project with a simpler, homemade flat bar. It drastically improved the riding position as the bar ends moved up 1 1/2" and back 2 3/4". The riding position is now less aggressive and a little more upright and more comfortable.
Here is the difference of the two bars:

The clubman bars in place:

Here are picks with the new bars installed:

Ready for powder coating! Thinking of black or silver, no chrome!
Thoughts and comments are welcome, as always! :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #286 (Edited)
I've been trying to build the rear section for my bike out of aluminum tubing, but came to a point where I had to admit that my TIG skills are lacking to do the job adequately.
So I went back, bought some steel tubing, and started from scratch again.
Here are some progress pics:

Grinding steel tubing is more fun than grinding aluminum, for me at least!

Figured out how I wanted to finish the tail section of the frame and how to integrate my tail light and license plate.

Closeup of the back plate with the tail light mounted!

Rear view of the tail section.

There is a lot more to do and I will keep the pics coming as progress is made.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

PS: I got my new K&L bike lift delivered today, which will make life a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
coming along nicely but i am not sure I am diggin your tail lights. I think if you could find one tail light that would fill the back section better it would look better IMHO. If you look at the stock Warrior tail light it fits the rear of the fender quite nicely. you might want to look at a stock harley style tail light as it might fit better ( along this style Smoke LED Tail Brake Turn Light FOR Harley 96 08 Sportster Softail LOW Rider 99 | eBay). I think you need to fill the rear cavity more if not it looks light they are just stuck there as an after thought unless your body work will somehow be incorporating them into it. It would be a shame in my opinion to go to all this work and then just have two tail ights stuck in the rear. Mybe even reshape the rear a bit to fit the stock warrior tail light. Just my thoughts

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Like it.

Would like to see the tail light fit the radius of the rear hoop. Suggest forming a lens with red lexan, The trick to making it look like a real tail light is backing up the red lexan with a piece of florescent light diffuser panel. Available in clear & white I use clear. Its a bit on the brittle side, difficult to work it without cracking.

DOH! weld story. Yesterday I get a bottle of Argon & tell the guy I need 2 lbs of 3/32 aluminum rod. He weighs it then asked "What are going to do with that?" I told him I was going to weld aluminum :)

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Like it.

Would like to see the tail light fit the radius of the rear hoop. Suggest forming a lens with red lexan, The trick to making it look like a real tail light is backing up the red lexan with a piece of florescent light diffuser panel. Available in clear & white I use clear. Its a bit on the brittle side, difficult to work it without cracking.

DOH! weld story. Yesterday I get a bottle of Argon & tell the guy I need 2 lbs of 3/32 aluminum rod. He weighs it then asked "What are going to do with that?" I told him I was going to weld aluminum :)
Here's your sign.:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Wasn't entirely happy with my last attempt and had to replace one piece.
After some cutting and bending, ready for some more welding.

Lines up a lot nicer then the first time!

Next reworking the tail light plate.
To be continued! :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Here is what happened today!
I wasn't thrilled with the location of the tail lights, so I redid the back plate and added a piece to mount the license plate.
This is how it looks now, and I'm a lot happier with the result.

Then I started to work on new brackets to use the existing bolt locations of the old rear fender struts.
I'm trying to incorporate these brackets into the frame of my new tail section and connect them with two tubes to the seat rail.
Making the brackets is the first step, and here is what the left side bracket looks like.

Next I'll need to make a matching one for the right side. :)

Enough for today!

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
liking the lights a bit better but they still look like they are just sitting on a plate. maybe make another piece of sheet metal that encompasses the lights so they look like they are inset and only the the lenses are just protruding a bit? This plate could be welded to the middle of the undersection of your outside tubing. Just a thought

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
A little more progress made today!

Coped and fitted the down tubes to the frame and brackets.

Tacked the pieces in place while I had the main portion mounted to the bike.
Metal moves when welded!

Then it was time for some welding and lots of grinding. Here is what it looks like after I finally put the grinder down.

Here are a couple closeups.

There was enough time left to start making some patterns for all the areas in the tail section to be covered.
First I oversized a piece of cardboard and taped in in place.
Next, I took a piece of round aluminum tubing, and marked the cardboard by rubbing it over the high spots on the frame.
All I had to do was following the mark with my scissors to cut the pieces to size.

Here are all the patterns!

And here they are all in place for a good visual.

The patters are still oversized because I want to have all the panels slightly recessed to expose more of the tubing, but its a start.
At the same time I was able to see if left and right panels are the same size, and they are really close.
I hope I can get more done tomorrow.
The goal is to be able to ride this bike this coming riding season.

281 - 300 of 336 Posts