RS Warrior Forum banner

361 - 379 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
I'm thinking of making a chin fairing for my bike! It's just a quick cardboard mockup to get a sense what it could look like!
It would be made from 16 ga aluminum sheet metal like the front fender.

Thoughts and comments are welcome!

·
Registered
391 Posts
The first goal was to possibly improve handling by changing some of the geometry without changing the existing frame.

By shortening the rear suspension (dog bones) the swing arm axle was raised by 1.5". This increased the swing arm angle from 6.5 degrees to 11 degrees.
This also changed the angle of the forks by 1 degree from 60 to 61.

Here are some pics to show the difference:

I also got a new tire, different in size. Instead of a 200/50 I got a 200/55 mounted on my rear rim. It's cross section is rounder then the stock size and should hopefully also increase handling in and out of turns.

Or just buy a Yamaha MT 01.

·
Administrator
28,418 Posts
Huh? MT01? C'mon.

You don't realize the feeling from static to WOT is insanely different. There will possibly never be a rush like zero-to-wot like 102ci Warrior off the line even with babe on-board, you pick the conditions, it doesn't matter. Its WOT and Done. Period. Its ancient history. Only difference is wetness of babe. No joke. It is what it is. Prove it wrong and you still prove it right.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
A very happy Easter season to everybody!

Here is my first try of shaping something a little more complex then the front fender!
I cut the pieces on my plasma table, and started to shape them, first roughing them with mallet and shot bag, and then wheeling on the english wheel. It's a real challenge to get two opposing pieces into the same shape, and it will take some time to get it done nice enough for me to be happy. I'm my worst critic, and patience don't come easy with the riding season quickly approaching!

Plasma cutting

Checking to make sure my bolt holes ar in the right location.

After annealing the pieces with my oxy acetylene torch the pieces are ready for shaping.

Roughing on the shot bag

After wheeling on my english wheel, and some more wheeling!

Now getting the one side to match the other! It's easy to get one into shape, but to make another to match is a different story!

It took a while, but here are the two pieces back on the bike.

Next step is to cut, shape, and fit the front panel in place before TIG welding them together! One step at a time as they say!
It's a new challenge and a good way to prepare for the more complex pieces to be mage in the future!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Way back when I made the comment about the MT 01, I was only ragging ( teasing being a smartarse ). AW put me well and truly in my place however, I’m confused about his companion comment. I think he was talking about the fairer sex. I wonder what it would be like to have a companion on the back of the Warrior. It would be nice to have one on the front. Then again it would be just nice to have one ?. With regards to the metal work happening, it looks fantastic.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
I had a chance to work a little more on the front cowl the last two days!
Fitted the front piece.

Started welding them together. Haven't welded 16ga aluminum before, and it shows!

Fitted and welded the bottom piece in place.

After some grinding action!

Fabricated an welded a bracket for fastening on the inside.

Started sanding with 200 grid.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Those stainless fender brackets will polish up nicely too!
Me on a Vintage 500cc Vincent Comet Single Lunger with Aluminum Front & Rear Fenders ;)

Now your not going to tell me that you fabricated this out of a warrior ? Was lucky enough to be a pillion on a Black Shadow in 79. Still remember it clear as day today.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
I set my one of the UNI-filters on fire, while I was welding on the frame. Luckily I was able to extinguish it quick enough. I could have easily lost my bike that day!
I cut the two bungs off the frame that would normally hold the front of the tank, and then welded a patch to cover the holes in the frame. I was too excited to get it done, and not thinking about what I was doing. Lesson learned!
Here are some pics!

I cut the bungs off with a sawzall to get my tank closer to the frame.

I had a little melting action going on one of my sensors when the air cleaner caught on fire while I was trying to tig weld the patch to cover the hole!

It could have been a lot worse!

After successfully welding by not burning the bike down at the same time!

Painted the welded patches flat black to blend them in.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
This accident gave me the opportunity to replace the UNI-filters with some K&N pods, which I like a lot better!
Making lemonade out of lemons, is what they say, and I would have to agree!

361 - 379 of 379 Posts